Recent change to killing things while afk, specifically mercs and pets

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by froakakhan, Aug 22, 2015.

1. froakakhan New Member

2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Yay! Finally.
    Xanadas and YellowBelly like this.
  3. Sinzz Augur

awesome so, folks who have no life and make eq there priority will get ahead, well done now when some one has forsaken wives kids and job to play eq they can truly feel proud about there accomplishment :)
    Leeanni and Motherlee like this.
  4. Olmstedder Journeyman

that seems like a jump
  5. Endless Augur

If you had a life outside of Everquest that you enjoy, that frame of thinking would never have occurred to you.
  6. Sinzz Augur

lol, troll on sport! my life is great, I don't feel the need to compete with anyone who uses a game to set the bar of there successes in life, however many do and will feel the need to keep up at any cost , as history has proven.
    Since mercs were introduced there has been afk gameplay, that was even hotly debated with Sony saying it was ok , now that seems to have changed I'm thinking with the daybreak folks, either way '
    as folks cannot police themselves I'm sure family's will suffer.
  7. Numiko Augur

Looks like more Holly influence, someone said it has been illegal to exp afk with mercs like forever on EQ2 ..

she just brought the policy over here it seems (in fact it's worded exactly the same for both games now on that page)
  8. Motherlee Augur

Oh come on! There's not enough players on the regular servers as it is. Why let the TLP servers make our policies. Merc payments were an effective plat sink that is now gone.
    Sinzz likes this.
  9. Naugrin Augur

You know who I feel bad for out of this? New necros (mains and alts) that need dranik loyalists faction for the anguish robe.
  10. Kezlek Journeyman

"If you need to go away for longer than a few seconds please move your character to an empty part of the zone or log out completely.

If a character, including any pets or mercs, is found performing actions while the user is away disciplianry action will be taken against the account.

Disciplinary action for unattended or AFK gameplay can include, but is not limited to; account warning, account suspension, and account termination (ban)."

Good thing when my toddler decides to do something toddlerish he always wait for me to get to an empty part of a zone or at least log out before he severely hurts himself. Im glad my priorities are in order. Ban me now Roshen, you're going to anyway cause no chance I can guarantee "a few seconds" cap. Casuals be damned eh Holly?
  11. Motherlee Augur

No more going to the kitchen to turn the burgers. No more bathroom breaks. You're not just letting the game die on its own. You're deliberately killing it. Why do you hate us, Holly?
  12. Kezlek Journeyman

I should reiterate that I'm not against this update, but it sure seems that Daybreak is making mistakes. The recent and rash banning of hundreds of accounts without due diligence shows they shoot first and idk if they ever ask the questions. "A few seconds"? Really? if you're at a 28 min respawn and you gotta take a leak, and you're 2min longer(cause you're actually washing your hands properly) you can be banned because a few seconds is 3-4 SECONDs. They should be observing afk killers for a full 15 min, unless they truly feel their game is more important than RL.
  13. Riou EQResource

It's not that bad, you can solo anguish faction in like 1.5 hrs with a faction potion.
  14. Riou EQResource

With advanced looting you make more money then spend on mercs :p
  15. Riou EQResource

I doubt they literally mean a few seconds, it could be worded better, it is most likely a reasonable time like up to 10-15 minutes I bet, they just don't want people doing it forever.
    rosetone likes this.
  16. Endless Augur

I have seen people that do unattended game play with using pets and or mercs. It is not a case of them rushing off to take a dump, attend to their kid, cook some food or whatever surprise situation that required a short time away from the computer. If that's all you ever do, I doubt you're gonna have anything to worry about.

They intentionally set up in a spot that can be handled by their mercs/pets expressly to do unattended gameplay. I mean, who sets up in a spot that just their pet/merc can handle and not a spot where it requires greater DPS than what pet/merc can do? Cause you know, they're there too and can add to the DPS right? There was no life emergency that made them do that. This is the same as unattended game play using bots. Just because you're not using bots doesn't make you innocent.

By the same reasoning, everybody that uses bots to have a whole group of nothing but bots are doing it because they have a life outside of Everquest so can't be fussed with actually being present when they're "playing".

And for the record, I didn't conclude that person was intentionally doing unattended game play till a lot of time had past and the "player" was still doing nothing. All the while his pet killed everything and his healer merc kept him and pet from dying. Yes, I am sure that was not the intention and it'll just be a coincidence when he returns to the screen and sees he has gained a bunch of AA's.
    rosetone and complexication like this.
  17. Kezlek Journeyman

Well its an incredibly simple and easy for them to clarify and confirm that their 'few seconds' is an error. When you see an entire guild get banned just like that it makes you wonder about their judgement is all.
  18. Garshok Augur

Actually I think I managed to get my faction in Noble's causeway in ~3-4 hours - that was at level 90 or 95, though, so factioning at level will be a lot harder. [Likewise leveling the gnoll totem from PoWar was pretty easy killing skellies shrouded in Blightfire Moors, about 2 1/2-3 hours.]

That being said,I can think of only one time I ran into a 'zone disruption' from this on a normal server, when I had to change my pulling to avoid accidentally training an AFK group in PoValor years ago.

I'm guessing this is an issue now on the progression servers, and hence the ban. Pretty much a non-issue on normal servers.
  19. Vlad Diszno Augur

I didn't see anything differentiating between reasons for unattended game play.

In theory, this could include anyone in a group that goes afk during a fight and lets his/ her merc/pet continue helping the rest of the party.
    This opens the door, if they desire, to disciplinary action to anyone leaving their comp, even briefly, during a fight. Or for anyone waiting on long respawns and taking a break from sitting at the comp during that time.

Time will tell how they intend to wield this power, but hopefully those administering discipline will listen to Jiminy Cricket and always let their conscience be their guide.

Some saying about 'absolute power' is at the tip of my tongue, now what was it again?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Motherlee like this.
  20. Necromonious Augur

It was ok before the advent of advloot. Before you weren't looting anything while afk, you were just getting experience, which really didn't affect anyone else. Sure, technically they couldn't exp in that exact spot, but there are plenty of other areas for them to. It did nothing to hinder the gameplay of thers

With the invention of advloot, now you could completely lockdown a particular drop, 24/7, 100% afk, for weeks and weeks. Now the automation affects other players, moreso than just not being able to get exp from that camp.

See the difference? And yeah, it was a much bigger issue on TLP due to less instancing and the importance of static zone drops
    rosetone likes this.