Recent change to killing things while afk, specifically mercs and pets

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by froakakhan, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Endless Augur

In real life, there are many things you CAN do. The mechanics for you to do it are there.

I can agree though. I had a GM warn me back in 2000ish when I use to go to CoMist....Mistmoore, run my 3 box up a tree in front of the castle, levi over to the roof and then go directly to the one area that drops whatever loot I was wanting at the time, avoiding all the see-invis/undead mobs inside the castle. I wasn't even one of those people that was killing everything from the roof and the mob had no way to engage the player since back then they mobs couldn't just warp to you.

I mean the mechanics for it was there, so why is it wrong?
  2. Mayfaire Augur

That is CRAZY to me. That GM was nuts. I mean, if they go so far as telling us exactly what pathing we are allowed to take or not take, they have gone too far.
    roguerunner and beryon like this.
  3. Agrippa Augur

I'm all for this rule change, but the Rules of Conduct aren't easily found. They're buried deep within 42 pages of a knowledge base. Also, they haven't attached this new rule to the Rules of Conduct yet. If they make changes to the rules, they need to update the rules and make them easily found.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Come on, we can find a better example than that:

On a more serious note, unless someone is disrupting someone else's gameplay, I dislike rules. Someone sitting practically alone in a zone afk while their pet and merc kill stuff is something not worth the time to bother with. For the very few times it is worthwhile doing, there is no need to ban it.

It has always been the way to maximize your swimming skill to find a body of water and use auto run and let your character swim for hours or overnight.

Now, if someone has been using the advanced looting to gather millions of plats this way and it is disrupting the economy, then perhaps the answer isn't to ban this but to change the advanced loot to not work if you are absent for too long.

Someone said free to play people have been doing that. How about limiting free to play on how much plat you could have? Or make advanced looting All Access only? Or some other way to do this without disrupting paying customers.

I don't have answers, but if someone who is a long time player leaves his character afk overnight pet killing some mobs in an empty zone, I don't think they should be banned.
  5. shik Elder

Agreed.

I don't think its possible to really be disrupting the economy through gains from afking being it faction, xp or plat. Those are just the fevered dream of the whinging TLP masses, the same kind that believe Kronos are responsible for global warming.

6. Sinzz Augur

I knew krono was responsible for panda extinctions but never heard of the global warming link ! I shoulda known !!
    shik and Motherlee like this.
  7. Sinzz Augur

funniest thing about this is most of this flakk is by returning players , see that?, returning players who left years ago come back complain get game ruined even more then leave again cause even after db bends over backwards to appease them they still suck and go back to other games to complain there.
    Thus leaving us the lifelong players to absorb the bs then daybreak will change the rules back but its too late and the game dies ... the end!
  8. svann Augur

NK. This has only been going on since mercs were introduced.
  9. Whulfgar Augur

As I sat an read this thread .. I had 1 thought ..

Who would EVER .. be against the game ensuring equality and fairness ?

Then another thing popped in my head ..

Who would EVER .. want to be able to afk /kill mobs ?

Answer 1 - Hackers ..

Answer 2 - Hackers ..

Ban them all DBG Ban every single last 1 of those cockroaches !
  10. Mayfaire Augur

Meh, that is so extreme. I tried afk-pet/merc killing once, am I a hacker?

Damn, I wish I was a hacker. I wanna be Mr. Robot. :D
  11. Kezlek Journeyman

I chose the wrong word, suspension rather than all out bans. My point being they suspended without investigating properly and there were lots of threads and comments of people who were unable to access their accounts for a given period. Again I hesitate at the thought of Daybreak saying they have this power. My wife plays a bst and often slows, sends her pet is than goes afk until the next mob. Or I often afk immediately after hitting combine all, will they consider that afk playing too? Sure with Modern Man they rescinded the suspensions but they still happened in the first place, who needs that kind of hassle.
    Motherlee likes this.
  12. Silv Augur

Because going afk and getting hit by a mob and your pet killing it is such l33t haxx0r. :rolleyes:

If this was such a HUGE issue with devastating economic and gameplay disrupting activities it would have exploded on the forum every other week. But it hasn't. I wonder why? Because it wasn't a big deal. Sitting AFK gives you access to limited mobs. If you're camping anything in modern content there is no way you'll take out a named if you're AFK. AFK killing was good for faction. *Maybe* getting a tablet or two from Alra or Sepulcher. And on that last example- anyone doing the tear would be completely sympathetic to the cause.

And whoever is saying these AFK people are raking in bazillions and getting Kronos... yeah, I don't buy that. That's probably a M.Q. operation. Acting like AFK people are monopolizing highly sought after camps is not something I've ever seen. Maybe on TLP but they don't even have mercs.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

Thats not what their talking about either..

Come on fella.. This is not my first rodeo ..

You (and everyone else crying about this) know for a fact, they are talking about people who use 3rd party programs to kill ..

Incidentally, I do not know of any class that can /afk .. and no one be at the board .. and still kill current lvl grp content..

Perhaps you can enlighten me tho there puddin an splain it out

-Whulf.
  14. Agrippa Augur

Did you even read the rule change, Whulfgar? It specifically mentions going afk at kill on sight spawns and having pets or mercenaries killing. I'm all for the change, as the advanced loot feature has changed how the game works, but it's pretty stupid to think that having a pet or mercenary kill a kill on sight mob requires a third party program.
  15. Mayfaire Augur

Well, as far as I can see from this thread, it has been entirely about the new rule where you cannot afk-kill with your pet and mercs. What you are talking about has always been illegal.

I also don't think anyone is talking about current content. People are talking about older content (tears, faction, whatever). That's why the exp is so bad! lol
    dannyb0y1977 likes this.
  16. Warpeace Augur

This whole change being buried is a complete joke because it should have been front page news to the player base like it or not. If they decide to make a change fine, but make it public you have plenty of means to notify all players in the game a change has been made to what acceptable play is considered.

Kinda amusing DPS racing, kill stealing, training and general grieving are all still allowed on the TLP but AFK pet/merc XPing or loot farming made the front of the list of things that needed rectified.

The one server group afk pet / Merc killing really affects is TLP with advanced loot option. so that's where I would directly look. Whoever got this change pushed through didn't think it out very well.

While were at trying to make everything a pain in the back side lets make it so if your a pet class and after you send the pet in you have to tab over and hit keys to make your pet actually attack, remove pets ability to auto attack after being sent in. This would seem to follow the logic here that pet classes are hacking by just sending their pet to attack and do all the work.
  17. Agrippa Augur

I think any changes to the EULA or Rules of Conduct should, at least, have either window pop open the first time we log in after said changes. Similar to how patch notes work, but with the new changes highlighted. The EULA and Rules of Conduct should also be the first things we see in the knowledge base and not buried deep within the 42 pages of Everquest's.
  18. Silv Augur

Apparently it IS your first rodeo since you don't seem to understand there already was a policy about certain 3rd party software and now they have altered it to also include AFK killing - which if you can't distinguish the difference - well here's a tip: they are not remotely the same.

Like you said, you can't AFK kill anything meaningful in current content so the change seems... less than thought out? I can't wait for the drama threads about being suspended for pet/merc AFK killing. I'm guessing that will mostly happen on TLP since they have dedicated guide support; the rest of the servers... well, it's laughable at best unless the twitch streams start popping up.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  19. Mayfaire Augur

Yeah, I tried it in Old Bloodfields. I mean, that expansion is brand new, 8 years brand new! :p
  20. Whulfgar Augur

And again, it only effects those who are .. hack killing ..

Try an keep up there pumpkin ..