Progression Server Poll Results: What's Next?

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Aristo, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weverley Augur

Ok first i was talking not only 40+ i was talking lower levels then that too.But if you insist i can give u a list that gives decent xp at 40+. The 3 planes(fear,hate,sky), sol a, sol b, some parts of permafrost, a good portion of kedge keep, cazic-thule, part of castle mistmoore, lower guk, those dreaded giants in rathe mountains, cyclops in OoT, The hole and i probably miss some.Can i believe that all of those gonna full sounds far fetched.
  2. fazool Augur

I vote to not release Kunark with EQ. I like the idea of going slow. Don't cater to the folks who race to the top and then complain about being bored. Those are the players who finish their new console games on Christmas morning. The whole concept of this is to step back in time and experience EQ again.....nice and slow like the original, when Everquest was an alternate life not just a raced game.
    MBear, Arkk, Cloudous and 1 other person like this.
  3. Arderd and Crowd Augur

It all depends on if there is one server from the outset or if they manage that somehow. But:
    old oasis,
    fm,
    solb,
    guk,
    tons of guards in city cities all over the map,
    kithcor at night,
    guards in HHK,
    oot,

I'm sure I've prolly even missed one or two.

and someone else just reminded me of kedge (edit)
  4. Cringer New Member

I vote to get the server up ASAP;) .But slower the better
    Noblesquire likes this.
  5. Daggar Journeyman

Here is my case for opening Kunark with Classic, I'm sure some of these points have been made before, but:

- World size: Yes those zones exist to level in @ 40+, but most of them are horrible NOT fun to level in. There are a handful of zones that are engaging and cool to play in @ 40+, but most of the other mobs that reward xp at that level are tedious, low in numbers, ridiculous to get to, ruin your faction, require EB, etc, etc.

- Progression server vs. Going back in time: I get wanting to re-live classic, I do. I had fun, it was some of my best video gaming memories as a child, being scared to go out too far into North Ro, not even being able to comprehend getting from Halas to Freeport as a level 10 Shaman, etc. Would I want that feeling back? Sure, but I will never again be 12, it will never again be 1999, there will never again be the same limited selection of other games to play, and I can't zap those previous experiences out of my head. I have already done that, and doing it a second (3rd, 4th?) time isn't going to be as fun. I think I can safely say the same for most people. If you want the same feels from back in the day, you just simply will not be able to achieve that, no matter how similar the video game code is.

- Boredom: Branching off from the point above, a lot of us did this 3-4 years ago with Fippy, and a handful did it 3-4 years before that with Sleeper. Every time I played a prog server, Classic sucked. Classic was awesome back in the day because you didn't know everything and you hadn't experienced everything and you couldn't find out whatever you wanted on the internet with a touch of button, and your guild mates hadn't killed Naggy/Vox dozens or hundreds of times already. The slim amount of content pre-Kunark is a brutal for the influx of players this will see.

- Kunark was boss, and huge: I'm OK with instead of having classic for 4.5 months and Kunark for 4.5 months we have Kunark+Classic for 9 months, because that's how good of a compliment Kunark was to Classic. Also, Kunark had so so so much content that only having it solo for 3, 4.5, 6 months by itself might not be enough! Epics are a grind, depending on class, Kunark clickie armor is hard to amass, Chardok, KC, and Seb are all zones that go overlooked by a lot of players because zones like Velks, Kael, Dragon's Necropolis, etc, come along that are easier to get to and easier to play in. 3-6 months in classic by itself is way too long, but only 3-6 months in Kunark is way too short!
    Dramatime and Cloudous like this.
  6. Daggar Journeyman

Further (sorry for double post, thought of something else:

- As part of the population that likes to raid, but is not part of the elite hard cores that can hop on at noon on a weekday to down a dragon, or can break weeknight or weekend plans to raid, I'd like to see PoH, PoS, PoF as raid zones before I am level 70 and can tank Cazic-Thule on a Rogue. If we can have Kunark and Classic, the likelihood that I have a chance to get into those zones while the elites are in Kunark goes up.
  7. Weverley Augur

From what Aristo is posting at the beginning of this thread they have eliminated classic plus kunark option so classic between 4.5 and 6.75 months then and only then kunark. Sometimes i wish people would stop proposing things that daybreak have already eliminated. Time to move to things that have a chance of happening. I know if your option didnt got chosen its hard not to press to have it reconsidered.Given that times is ticking off i doubt they gonna backtrack. Holly wants an early summer launch so if she start listening to all the proposition we gonna still talk about it in the fall.
    Baliaan likes this.
  8. Bandok Augur

The vote didn't include anything about that. The vote was only about the general timeframes. We're not trying to change the general framework, just asking for ONE of the time stretches to get special consideration in the interest of not having everyone quit because they have nowhere to actually play.
  9. Jenarie Elder

Classic longer than a month is such a huge mistake that people have to keep repeating it. People who think otherwise (except for a possibly very few) didn't level to 40+ in the first month of previous progression servers. AFTER classic I'm for the longer the better. But give the racers somewhere to go so the rest of us can have fun coming up after them or it will be a miserable time for everyone but the slowest of the slow levelers.
    Daggar likes this.
  10. Pozest New Member

You nailed it on every point!
    Noblesquire, Xanadas and Cloudous like this.
  11. Weverley Augur

You seems to be forgetting those altaholics. I'm not sure the ratio of people who gonna have only 1 character versus those that gonna make many characters. Sure you gonna be bored if you make only 1 character but what % of people gonna stop at 1. I sure won't.Not even talking about those with multiple accounts so you can multiply very quickly how long some people gonna take before all their toons are at max level.
    Hotshot likes this.
  12. Vaclav Augur

Not everyone alts so you're basically saying that everyone would have to play a way not everyone does to enjoy things. (Personally I'll say for myself, I don't alt besides utility boxes that I'd level with my main rather than separate)

I can say for me personally, if the server has nothing more for me to do, I'd stop logging in until the next expansion unlock myself. Including cancelling my subscription for the meantime. I have no interest in making characters beyond my initial 5 between the wife and I. (And even then, debating a few of those - could just be 2-3)
  13. Dandy Augur

Did your classic experience include no customer service/GM's? How about rampant hacking ruining people's fun left and right?

I wasn't around for classic. But I know what TLP 2.0 was like. Two servers forced SOE to have to battle the hacking problem their game has. And apparently they don't have the resources for another battle.
  14. Resistance New Member

OOT, Lower guk live and dead side, Sol B, Mistmoore, Kedge, POhate, Oasis Specters/goblins, Hole, Vox zone, Freeport guards, hell idk All zones with lvl 40+ mobs in there to level you to 50....I bet i even missed one.
  15. Vaclav Augur

Most of those places support a single group at most - sometimes just a single soloer (OoT)

And The Hole wasn't in for 2.0 supposedly (I don't recall personally though, but it's been stated here a few times by folks that seem positive)
  16. Weebles Augur

Fear/Hate - Suicide to take a classic exp group here, not to mention mobs will be permanently dead
    Sky - Permanently dead
    Sol A - Is there a camp here 40+? Gnomes would be mega light blue.
    Sol B - Yes. This zone has - pool, royals, BnB, nox, freeti, misc junk, (do FG's count?). We'll call it 40 people, assuming every camp is full grouped, which they won't be, they'll be duo'd by mage healer boxes.
    Permafrost - Bear pits can accommodate a small group or a decent druid
    Kedge Keep - Fair enough, although leveling here is pretty miserable
    Cazic-Thule - Can't speak to this personally, not sure which version would even exist and what the level range is.
    MM - Butler/Maid and TR would work for a couple groups, but 40+ is pushing it as the mobs top out around 35.
    Lower Guk - Yes
    HG's in RM - Sure, 3-4 people can keep them clear
    Seafuries - Permacamped into oblivion
    The Hole - Yes

The more important overall point is: sure, Kedge might not be full when you log in for an hour on Tuesday night. Are you going to form a group to go hunt there? I suspect most people will stay camped in Sol B and Lower Guk, which will be massively overcamped. People won't stay camped out in Kedge because historically, it has never been a place for Pickup groups (I certainly wouldn't want to PUG there).
  17. Flandersian Augur

That list looks like a lot, but if you actually factor in the amount of people that can (and will) take over those spots in doesn't quite stack up.

OOT - 3 groups at the absolute max. Usually occupied by numerous soloers.
    Lower Guk - Great 40+ spot. Can probably hold up to 6 groups easily.
    Sol B - Good 40+ spot. 3-4 groups with another sweeping in for giants every so often.
    Mistmoore - Greens out very early at 40+, not a high end dungeon
    Kedge - A couple decent spots, not a great dungeon for XPing. 2 groups max
    Hate - Raid zone. Groups can clear trash every so often.
    Oasis Specs/Gobs - Greens out very early 40+
    The Hole - Not original. Came out just before Kunark release.
    Permafrost - 1 group w/evacer or a charming soloer/duo in Vox pits. Not a high end dungeon.
    City guards - Solo/duo. Not group content.
    Kithicor - Greens out early 40+

Edit: Old Cazic-Thule greens out at 40. It is lower level than even Mistmoore.

The 3 bolded zones were the places that everyone would try to cram into on Vulak/Fippy. Because they were really the only viable options for pick up groups. Everything else was locked down by people running solo or box crews. I know everyone likes to think of the olden days as this bright and happy place where everyone giggles and dances the night away. As a veteran of Sleeper/Combine and Vulak/Fippy, I'm just trying to be realistic. Original and Kunark fit so well as a whole to the earliest EQ experience. Kunark does not make anything in the old world obsolete, it just augments the experience by adding tons of interesting content for all level ranges.
    Soltara likes this.
  18. Flandersian Augur

*Fist bumps Weebles*
  19. Darth Augur

It's not the hardcore people who get bored. They find satisfaction in locking down all the end game content, and then selling it to you for massive plat.

You think the hardcores only lock down Hate, Fear, Sky, and two dragons? My dear summer child. They lock down Fire Giants, The Efreeti, all of Lower Guk. That random item you want to farm that you think is cool? Locked down.

That really good xp spot? Locked down. That obscure quest item most people still don't know about? They know about it, it's locked down.

The Hardcore don't quit, they adapt. It's the casual gamer like you that goes in expecting to have a good time, to do what you didn't do last time, progress and see the game. Well guess what, either you're hardcore and see it all, or you're casual and see none of it, get mad, and quit.

I don't want instancing like it wow, not in the least. I want it possible for everyone to experience everything though. At least once.
  20. Fendy Augur

Nolrog and code-zero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.