Please rethink this new TLP Daybreak Team...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vicious EQ, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Runes Augur

They will need to completely disable the tutorial and remove Defiant gear from dropping for like 3-4 months because all I will do, even with the level locks if defiant gear drops from day 1, even at their worst starts which are still really good, is work it and sit on it and just wait the month or so until my level gets to a point where the stats on the gear are better than almost all classic to PoP era gear and epics, why waste the time on getting any other gear with defiant gear dropping and leveling up to good strength in such a short time. If you make the level cap locks unlock at a really slow rate then you will get an even bigger outcry from community to throttle this.

Way to trivialize all classic to PoP gear except for some few utility items with good clickies.

Please go back to your brainstorm room and think about the bad decisions you may be making.
  2. Stagentti Augur

Where are you getting this from? The small # of people who post on the forums?
  3. AngryKing Elder

So many assumptions being made without a real announcement verifying any of this.
  4. Risiko Augur

I burned out pretty hard on EQ1 this past year. As such, I am going to be skipping this TLP season, and going to give EQ2 TLE a shot when the new server opens in May. If it sucks, I'll be back a year from now for the next TLP server lol.

No matter what the new TLP ends up being here in EQ1, I really think that Mischief is an impressively successful TLP server. The rule set is just amazing. If Mischief would have come around about 4 TLPs ago, I might not have burned out so badly, and still be there playing. You can only play through Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP so many times before it's time to try something different.

Good luck guys and gals on the next TLP season.
  5. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

Classic start please. I love PoSky so much!!!
  6. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

GoD start or some variation of a level-locked server sounds like an interesting deviation from the norm.

Many people are bored to tears with classic, kunark, velious on annual rinse-and-repeat.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Lineater Augur

GoD start with level cap unlocks would be an interesting progression experiment. The community is always asking for a TLP that starts with Kunark/Iksar's, beastlords, beserkers, gnome SK's, etc. It's a realistic way to include the races/classes people want to play at launch without trivializing old content.

It would spread out the population, open up different leveling paths, and create some potentially interesting new challenges with under-leveled raids attempting over-leveled bosses.

Not sure what the demand would be though. To get me to try it, there would need to be some more twists that reward investment, similar to how mischief rewards me with free trade & bonus drops.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Haak Augur

It is fascinating how different the views of the community is on this. Mischief is the TLP that gave me burnout, and I found the ruleset not only lacking in amazement, but to be fundamentally not-EQ. Modern MMOs have always had more of a 'loot pinata' feel, with upgrades coming fast and often, where EQ took a more measured approach of upgrades feeling more meaningful as they came infrequently, with effort. Mischief felt way too much like a modern MMO, which isn't the experience I want from a 20+ year old game.

If the loot rules had any merit, it was free trade, rather than random loot. I could see value in a free trade server, where you can hand down all your gear to alts/others as you upgrade.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The rationale behind a slow-start like that was to experiement with Level-locking & provide a slightly more unusual beginning to the server.

Also, among the complaints from pretty much every TLP launch the largest volume have always been of two varieties;
    1. I cannot even play on the server because of the login queue
    2. I am now a large number of levels behind everyone else because of the queues so I feel like I missed the boat already.

And isn't the point of this server to try some new funky ruleset? Log onto a Mangler Clone if you don't like it.

So by using that slower start you give those who cannot even log in a little bit longer to catch up and you also increase the chances of everyone who is a little bit behind getting groups.
    The players who are only interested in hitting 50 in 2 days will just have to wait, or log off until the cap is raised to the next tier, or optionally wait until the cap has hit 50 to do their usual level up in 2 days malarkey - and by doing that the Queue will potentiially be alleviated some, I consider it to be like traffic calming.
    This also prevents a certain demographic gaining a huge advantage over anyone significantly behind the curve & c**k-blocking content because they can.

Players being able to experiement with finding out what stuff they can kill with a bunch of level 10's, 20's, 30's etc may also find some entertainment value with a bit of imagination.

And really, on most TLP "Classic" lasted longer than the 5 weeks I am suggesting for the slow start anyway and this server would have a much larger range of zones opened at the start so zones feeling cramped is not going to be an issue.

See below for one example, another would be all of those who claim TLP die, or expereince a drastic reduction in population right after PoP (they don't) every time they post about TLP and it's not really even a small number of posters, I've seen this kind of chatter in game too.

TLP GoD is absolutely nothing like as hardcore as 2004 launch GoD was on live, it has been massively overhauled & retuned.

Aside from being insulting right at the offset this is some very chewy word salad nonsense with a very bad understanding being exhibited.

True, but it has made for an interesting thread at least.
  10. Gearrwin Lorekeeper

That level locked idea is interesting.
    Thewiz, Nighthawk and Skuz like this.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Once again, you provide us with pure gold. I shall remember that for future use, many thanks!
  12. Kahna Augur

Considering LDoNs are so busy that you can have a difficult time even pulling one during peak hours I would say that plenty of folks are enjoying more than just the free trade. I'm not really sure how measured you want a 3 month unlock server to be? All the other servers felt far too stingy with the loot. I am pretty sure on Aradune that my character only got 1 piece of loot until Velious. And I felt no different about the loot I got there compared to the loot I got on Mischief. Still don't have full BiS, still have something to work towards. I probably won't get there before GoD and it starts all over again. It feels just about perfect.

Of course, my guild only raids 2 nights a week, I notice a lot of other guilds raiding 3 nights a week. Maybe that is the problem. Chill out and don't raid so much.
  13. jeskola pheerie

Damn you, HekktheBank!
  14. Zansobar Augur

People can experience "modern" EQ anytime they want by playing on Live. They can even do it for free. The fact that a large portion of the EQ player base refuses to do so should give DPG a good idea that people don't like it.
    Xanathol likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Playing in any expansion older than the most recent one on live where 99% of players are at endgame or close to it is nothing like playing on a TLP "in-era".
    You miight be able to cobble together a few people to try the "progression guild on a live server" idea but it just does not have the same feel at all.

i.e. People want to be in an older expansion within a few levels of the vast majority of the rest of the server population - and that's what TLP are for.
  16. Haak Augur

I don't want anyone to mistake what I'm saying - there's clearly two camps when it comes to the value of Mischief loot rules. I've been playing on these TLPs since Fippy, and I've never had an issue getting fully geared in-era for every expansion. So many players like myself found the traditional rate of loot acquisition just fine, and Mischief was way too fast and unnecessary. However, I'm also not an alt-o-holic, nor a casual player, and I think both benefit from Mischief. A one-character focus (without boxing) on 3-month unlocks has always been more than adequate. However, I wouldn't have wanted to try and gear out multiple alts in a shortened window.

So the best solution is a few servers, with varied loot rules. Give the pinata crowd the flood of loot they enjoy, and the old-schoolers the more expected pace.
  17. a_librarian Augur

If you don't have an overwhelming amount of loot it's not 2 days vs 3 days of raiding it's probably splitting vs not splitting.
  18. Court Elder

I really don’t know why everyone is arguing about TLPs before the rule set is even announced. We all know that if there’s any outrage over whatever they announce that it’s usually subject to change to appease the masses.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Like the low xp nerf unannounced before Phinny launch when they added xp pots and people start playing and comparing XP. *(was never rescinded)
  20. jeskola pheerie

Well, to be fair, someone had to explain to DPG that slow xp is not considered "Hardcore" and fast expansion unlocks and halved lockout timers are not considered "Casual". Those were the Holly days for you, though.
    Xanathol, Skuz and Joules_Bianchi like this.