New Class

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elthorien, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Elthorien Elder

Is the game ready for a new class?

today i was reorganizing my bookshelves, and unpacking boxes
    found all my old 1st edition AD&D books, started flipping thru them, ahhh the memories

anyway,

some of the stuff i saw, the memories, got me thinking
    a new class
    since a lot of everquest is based on, at least in some part, to old school dungeons and dragons

BLADESINGER, (from the handbook of elves)
    basically:
    fighter / wizard combo,
    a tank class that has wizard spells

yea, we already have fighter necro (SK), fighter priest (paladin), and other hybrid types
    why not one more
  2. FranktheBank Augur

No because we are capped at 16 classes due to old game.
    Barton likes this.
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

The current classes aren't balanced compared to each other at all, what makes you think the game could handle adding in a new one?
    Andarriel and code-zero like this.
  4. Lilfella Elder

It wouldn't get worse.
    fransisco likes this.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

Old idea, might never be added:
    Spellsword

Would be something for the announced EQ3.
  6. Tuco Augur

The spellsword archetype is one of my favorite in gaming, but it's is already kinda crowded in EQ. What would they do that isn't already being done by bards, shadowknights, rangers and beastlords?
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Randomized Augur

*looks are his bard wielding two swords and singing songs*

Hmm...
    Andarriel and code-zero like this.
  8. fransisco Augur

this is kinda what rangers started out as. A gish.
    Barton likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I may be wrong or may have misunderstood this but EQ has only a 2-bit (16byte) register for classes, races have the same sized register, effectvely capping how many we can have at 16. Private servers may well have overcome that limitation, there's even a "classless" private server out there, but that's not the commerical game code anyway.

Increasing the size of that has a huge amount of potentially game-breaking problems attached to it, so the cost of changing it at this stage would have to take into account it touches just about every single other system in the game, Races, Itemisation, Quests, Abilities & Spells, and likely a bunch of other stuff.

Which races can be which classes probably has room for growth, but the number of Classes & the number of races is pretty much fixed.

Not Swordmage / Spellsword?

Bards are already "Bladesinger's" and they somewhat combine Enchanter with Rogue.

Maybe additional class suggestions would be considered for EQ3.
  10. kizant Augur

How about less classes?
    Andarriel, Szilent and FranktheBank like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

Which one(s) would you dump?
  12. Sissruukk Rogue One

Everything but Wizards.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

P99
    Nennius likes this.
  14. uberkingkong Augur

64 bit now though
    fransisco likes this.
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

The servers/clients are 64-bit; the variables in use are not.

Ever had a shower with bad water pressure? You can swap the showerhead all you want, but it's not going to make a huge difference if it's the pipes causing the problem. And replacing all of the piping is not an easy task.
    Skuz and Barton like this.
  16. Szilent Augur

cle/pal is one god-botherer class, rng/bst one "nature fighter" class, enc/brd one arcane flavored boosting class, mag/wiz one arcane class, dru/shm are flavors of priest that don't follow gods, war/ber/rog is just shield/2h/dualies stances of one martial class. nec & sk & mnk are just bad guys, dump em. Ain't got Horde Territories over here.

All the pets go away. Certain classes can have a merc that doesn't charge upkeep.
  17. Iven the Lunatic

Berserker as it is just a poor rogue clone without any purpose.
    fransisco and Nennius like this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

On the other hand, it does keep some kitties off the street.
    Iven likes this.
  19. fransisco Augur

bards are just bots anyways. Lets dump them :)

Then I would split necro into 2 classes. Bone daddy (armies of undead) and a poison ivy (dot based class).
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If I was going to add a new class to EQ it would be pottery. I have always thought it would be fun to learn how to make pots. Thats pots not pot. That would be a gardening class.