Need vs Greed. My attempt to help the lil guys

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by StellarShot, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Lokarion New Member

There's an option explicitly labeled "Greed". The word "greed" in an mmo context means "I want this item for greedy reasons, but I don't *need* it as a direct upgrade on the character who is providing effort to obtain this item." The two camps are logic and social skills vs OmgINeedEverythingLolScrewYou.
  2. zethcarn New Member

LOL. How about making a user friendly UI that doesn't need specific instructions like this thread to use. I swear the EQ interface looks like a week one drooling, programming monkey made it.
  3. Lokarion New Member

Makes sense, and for the life of me I'll never understand why if they think that way why they're playing a mmo. The entire point of a mmo vs a single player game or invite only multiplayer game is because of the social aspects. Oh well, at least they do a good enough job of self-segregating that I've had the good fortune of never meeting one of the more obnoxious ones in the wild.
  4. Green_Mage Augur

NBG is fine until something is worth about a Krono IMO. This is the only game I've encountered where people expect you to pass up on loads of pp "to be nice." I haven't really been playing TLP that long...and already I've been scammed by NBG people selling that loot in Commons the same day. A few of them were cleaver enough to wait the next day. This doesn't even include the ones with enough sense to just make a level 1 mule to trade.

So I'm not big on the system -- particularly when it comes to valuable drops. And I resent the idea that being called selfish for not passing up Kronos to strangers. Again -- what other context is this expected in gaming?
  5. Aurastrider Augur

Everyone Needs plat to maintain their toon. It really should not matter what the item is if they can turn it into plat and then turn that plat into improvements on their toon. If you are with a group of friends that you group with every day its in your best interest to spread the wealth so everyone stays well equipped. If your in a PUG and you might not ever see any of these people again does it make sense to give up PP which results in upgrades to some stranger just so you don't seem greedy? Everything should just be rolled on. If someone would rather have a tradeskill mat over vendor trash then they should work that out with others in the group or you know sell the vendor trash they get and buy the mats from others. I really don't understand this whole thread. The greed button should just be removed from the equation and it should be Always loot or never loot. Having an option that basically says I would like an item but I don't really want it that bad but if someone else wants it more than me they are a greedy bastard just seems silly to me.
  6. yerm Augur

I did a fair bit of greed drops while leveling, and an equally fair bit of having to police the loot window (I usually formed groups and therefore handled it). Now I just do need everything including trash drops and it is absolutely so much better.

Sure there is plenty of logic to using greed on pure vendor fodder as the name would imply. Sure it works if everyone does it. Bitter reality is that people arbitrarily will or won't, it will change between groups, people have different ideas about what they need, and most importantly... it takes a lot of attention to maintain your loot window.

All need isn't necessarily the best because of virtue (although there is NOTHING wrong with it), rather, it's the best because it is far and away the most simple and straightforward. Set all tradeable items to need and you can focus on playing everquest rather than playing advanced loot window regulator.
    Aurastrider likes this.
  7. CasualOfFilth New Member

I've seen like 3 of these threads promoting the "all-need" philosophy. I have yet to find a PUG that isn't NBG. It's almost as if the 5% "need-only" population is telling the 95% of the player base that we're all doing it wrong.
  8. Nuther Augur

I got a bunch of hate last night for rolling Need on a Chrisoberyl Talisman as a RANGER.

The complaint was, "Wisdom is not your primary stat". This was an NBG group.