Need vs Greed. My attempt to help the lil guys

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by StellarShot, Jun 11, 2017.

1. StellarShot New Member

Hi and welcome to TLP servers! Many things have changed since classic EQ, you may have noticed Freeport and Commonlands appear quite a bit different, instant clickies aren't refreshing your spell gems, and raid mobs have this weird MightyBuff effect! GASP

This post is an attempt to help out a lot of you newer players. Some of you are not going to like what i say, get over it, just like life, things change, learn and adapt, or get left behind/crushed.

First things first. If the new advanced loot system didn't instantly confused you, I am impressed. The system was a great attempt to improve the life's of players constantly dealing with right clicking STACKS of bodies and improving player relations by creating an auto loot system. No more days of some in your group ninja looting a rare item and running for the hills. No more frustratingly searching for the right corpse in a stack of 100 for that 1 item you needed. However, like all new systems, it has its flaws. And the greatest flaw lies with you, the players.

Need, Greed, Never... And it saves your settings! wow, issue.... it saves your settings. Someone in 1 group demanding everyone Greed everything, while the next has everyone Needing, will result in drama. So let me break this down a little.

Gems... sellables... old research items... fine steel weapons.. etc... etc... Everyone should be needing. If you do not need money in EQ, then I am confused. Everyone needs money! Food, drink, potions, hell even bags, gear, port stones, i can go on here guys... EVERYONE NEEDS MONEY. I know you want to have that Halo over your head and Greed on stuff to feel better about yourselves, but its silly if you think about it. Greeding on platinum items only results in more drama, because you will ALWAYS have that one guy in group needing on stuff "accidentally", maybe intentionally. Save yourselves time and energy and avoid unnecessary drama... just Need on these items always and forever.

When it comes to actual item drops... FBSS... Yaks... SMRs... GEBs... etc... I am not going to tell you what to do, if your group wants to award a Yak to a warrior without one, cool. Thats a nice group of people you got there. Odds are, they are all friends, and not a random pick up group. The reality though... zero of these items will be worth ANYTHING in a couple months. Level 60 and kunark drops will TRIVIALIZE classic zones and items. After that Velious will trivialize kunark...etc...etc...etc.. So i can perfectly understand why a wizard would want to roll on a FBSS (melee haste item). He can sell that item in seconds in commonlands and buy a very powerful wizard item. I mean, the group is not there to camp the melee in group a FBSS, everyone there is after exp, the loot drops are an added bonus that everyone should be a part of. Ask your group the loot rules when you join for big items, if you are not happy with their rules, leave, dont wait for an item to drop to start getting mad and causing drama.

Disclaimer- I am a 17 year EQ player, i mostly solo/small box, nothing I said above will effect me one way or another, i am just trying to educate a lot of you. Take what I said as you want. Learn and move on, or don't. I truly, do not care.

Good hunting out there! Cya on the Front Lines.
    Miss_Jackie and Your_Ad_Here like this.
  2. Random newb Augur

Whatever floats your boat, I greed on can loot because that's really what most people do. Sure I need cash, but not like that sweet sweet gear that's some classes only. I get the need on high ticket items when it's an open roll, that's just what everyone does so one person doesn't auto win by bring the only need roll.

New players should just go with the flow. We all need cash but if you're the only one rolling need on trash drops it'll stick out and someone will say something.
  3. That One Guy Augur

I'll never understand why groups greed random trash drops.

If you don't want people stealing loot by hitting need... EVERYONE clicks need and there are no issues. Easy fix.

If someone specifically needs a random drop. They are a big boy and they can say something. The group or winner can decide if they want to give the item to the other person.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  4. Rauven Augur

You do what the group leader says. They assign the Master Looter who in turn by the authority granted by the leader assigns loot how they see fit.

There's no debate on this, its just simple fact.
  5. MabbuAgnarr Journeyman

If a group tells me to greed on trash sellables...I ask them nicely to have everyone hit need because every single one of my pug groups here so far leveling up did it that was......I don't care how P99 did it..because this is how every other TLP I've been on did it prior to Agnarr. Welcome to Live P99's, you're in OUR world now.

But...now that I am 50 I am running into some weirdos who think everyone should be greeding on these items.....because hitting need is apprently taboo or something...they have no prior experience with the Advanced loot system and then they cry and complain everytime someone new joins the group with preset need filters.....and it almost always results in them losing some trash loot rolls, and some BS drama in group... because people aren't babysitting their filters and they have things set to need.

If you all set everything to need....thats the last change anyone anywhere needs to make to the filters. If you continue to see trash sellables being set as both greed and need randomly by different people, then this eternal argument will continue on.

I'm going to continue to need on trash sellables, because thats how we do it on TLP.

As for big ticket items, the group should decide ahead of something dropping how those will be handled. Everyone needing on everything is my preference. I've been in groups where everyone needed on items, and I won a yak I didn;t need and gave it to someone int he group who needed it. ITs not always to sell the item, but everytone should have a fair shot at the big ticket loot if they are there putting int he effort if its dropable loot that can...and ultimately will..be sold even by someone claiming to NBG it. (Eventually they WILL sell it).

TLDR: Need on Everything...if you must NBG tradeable item drops...then make sure your doing it in a group of people you trust, otherwise everyone should hit Need..ALWAYS.
  6. Jarith Lorekeeper

One thing I wonder with all these threads is if people are in a PUG for different reasons than I am.

I'm there for the XP primarily. Loot, whether it is to wear or sell later for plat is secondary to me. I can always come back later to farm the items by myself at max level or with a friend, as having 100% chance to get an item/plat if it drops as opposed to a 1 in 6 chance seems like way better odds to me. Or just raid and get loot that way and compensated for any expenses by the guild (peridots etc).
  7. Mrjon3s Augur

Heres how it goes you greed on vendor loots and you need on items.
  8. Lankie Augur

That makes no sense what so ever. Vendor loot = all need, so it's fair for all. You could all greed and have someone hit need and take all the vendor loot. So avoid that situation by using need. What benefit is using greed?

Greed = pass
    Need = want
    That One Guy likes this.
  9. That One Guy Augur

The issue is it makes no sense if EVERYONE in group is greeding. All you do is risk someone rolling need. That is why random pick up groups should roll need on it all. Then you don't have to worry about 1 person rolling need cause the other 5 idiots rolled greed.
  10. Lankie Augur

Exactly, if everyone is supposed to roll the same, then use need. Greed = pass.
  11. Mrjon3s Augur

And guess what you do when that person keeps needing on loot while everyone else is greeding. You kick them out of the group. On Phinny when I started and leveled up with randoms I always asked how the loot was as soon as I joined the group. 9 times out of 10 it was greed on vendor loot and need on items. When someone kept needing on vendor loot we would just kick them from the group and invite someone else to group.
    Agrippa likes this.
  12. Dulu Augur

I feel like this issue has been solved in World of Warcraft, and every single MMO to release in the past 15 years.

Why is it an issue in EQ? Why can't they create a decent loot system?
  13. blackaria New Member

people just dont understand the concept of greed
  14. Piku Elder

What's the point of the never/not roll button then?

If you see one person in the group needing when they should be greeding on money items, you tell them to stop, lol. Pretty simple fix.

Otherwise you run into situations where everyone is needing on research items, for example
  15. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Random group = need everything
    Friends group = everyone knows what they want

Simple and easy.
  16. Lankie Augur

Which is fine, those research items can sell pretty well. Or do you propose diamonds / blue diamonds should be given to jewelcrafters? lol.
  17. Seiffil Lorekeeper

Really? Cause in all the grouping I've done on Phinny, the only people needing on everything typically come from 1 of 3 specific guilds.
  18. C3lowz Augur

Every group I've been in has had the same rule set for trash loot. Everyone greeds. So Idk what you're talking about the whole "need everything" go ahead and need on trash loot, you'll be removed like the greedy person you are.

Now boss loot is where I see a mix. I'd say I have had even numbers of groups who preferred to use traditional "if you need it, need it", and then some need on all boss loot. I honestly don't care what for this option. Considering OP even said he solos or boxes and does not group, hes basically leading people into drama. Don't listen to him. Ask your group leader first what they're doing. Don't just step in and assume you're in control because some guy on the forum said so.
    Glansberg likes this.
  19. StellarShot New Member

Hey buddy, read the posts before you reply, if you dont understand my point of need everything, you obviously didnt read my post. So stop trolling!
  20. Seiffil Lorekeeper

He's not the one trolling. 99% of the groups I've had on Phinny, which while it's not Agnarr, is still one of those TLP servers that people are claiming should be 100% needing on everything, greed on everything.

I've only seen the Need on everything take place when EoE, AoS, or OGC are involved in the group, which is hardly the entire server, and it's still not even true 100% even when they are involved.