Need vs Greed. My attempt to help the lil guys

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by StellarShot, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

where are you guys grouping? i seriously get nothing but NBG groups... have never had to change my settings to need.

I know the generations after original EQ are from the era where other games taught you that you need to need on everything to get anything... but EQ is not those games.

Seriously, stop trying to force this kind of behaviour and learn to have fun and be nice to your fellow players instead.
  2. Arclyte Augur

All need is the most fair form of looting in a game where 98% of loot is trade-able. Needing on all trash and named loot gives everyone a fair shot at getting something for their time.

People "NBGing" items worth 1 krono or more are being greedy and selfish to party members that don't get upgrade drops in that camp.
  3. toasty4800 Elder

This right here.

I can't stand NBG groups on high value items.

I personally greed the vendor trash and gems and things, but when it comes to something like an FBSS, everyone should roll need. It's just fair.

If you are a caster at a frenzy camp, what loot is for you there? Nothing.

If you are a melee at a AM camp, what loot is for you there? Nothing.

It's only fair, if 6 people are all grinding together at a camp for hours on end, and FBSS drops and only one melee dps, he shouldn't automatically get it. Everyone should have a fair shot at high value items, so that way you can sell it and have the chance to buy what your character really does need.

Anyone who does NBG in random groups on high value items, is simply a sucker. You are that guy who gets convinced by someone on the phone to buy a time share in tahiti, or the man who is convinced his wife isn't cheating when she clearly goes out and stays gone for hours on end at all hours of the night.
  4. Lankie Augur

I agree with 99% of what you said, but I can't understand the reason to "greed" on vendor trash. The entire point of selecting "Greed" is to leave the option for other group members to use "Need" and win the item ahead of you. But I can't see in what situation anyone would be using NBG on vendor trash? Isn't it just more sensible to use Need?
  5. Talladore Journeyman

Difference is melee require gear to do well. Casters do not. I'm not saying that casters don't benefit from gear but take a level 50 Rogue and Magician, both in cloth armor with rusty class weapons. Who do you think is going to hold up their end of a DPS parse?
  6. Amoeba Augur

OP starts off mostly different than every single group I have ever been in.

I won't voice my opinion on the matter but will suggest clarifying things with the group early on and adjusting settings as needed. Also every now and then look at loot and check to see if something that dropped is something you need.

Just don't be a jerk and you are fine.
  7. Ultrazen Augur

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word greed means.
  8. Grelf Journeyman

Every single group I have been in has been NBG. Every group that I have tried to suggest the all need rolls, even on trash items, has met me with confusion and refusal. Therefore I must assess that it is only the forum neckbeards that decided this was a good idea because the culture of stealing food from other people's mouths developed rancorously on TLPs.

If someone won't adjust their loot settings to fit the group they can find another one; a 100pp gem or 700pp item is really cheap to find out who is really behind the character.

Also, I do not understand why people value their 'guildies' over random pugs, how many of you people even leveled with your guild. If you are in the all need mindset, you are a mercenary out for loot and should treat all the same to avoid hypocrisy.
    NoniProudfoot likes this.
  9. toasty4800 Elder

That's why smart people are rolling casters first to gear up alts.

If you roll pure melee only and first class, you are asking for a hard life.

Either way a monk at am camp can still win an SMR, sell it and buy melee gear.

Also what happens when that monk who took the FBSS gets a nice haste belt? They are going to sell it.

NBG is dead. This isn't 1999.
  10. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Need on items you will equip or high ticket items like FBSS/SMR seems to be the norm. GREED is ment for anything you plan to sell hence why it's called Greed everyone wants money that's a no brainer, it's the main form of greed in the world.
  11. NoniProudfoot New Member

This has been my experience as well. I have yet to get in a group where it was not NBG with all greed on trash loot, and need if the item that drops is a direct upgrade. Which means the group I was in where FBSS dropped, since the melee in the group already had it, we ALL rolled greed.

It's all semantics and every group will do things differently, but at the end of the day if I am in a group and something drops that is an upgrade for me and I need it and someone rolls need to sell it, and won't give it to me, even though I do need it and I've been keeping their butt alive for the past 2-3 hours, then I'm out of that group as fast as I can hit disband and they can find their own healer replacement. I know this isn't 1999, or even 2001-2002 (which was when I played until around 2005) but the principle stands. If you need plat, buy a krono and sell it (and bonus, support DB so they keep the lights on!). :p
  12. daffie999 Augur

Need = Want
    Greed = Don't want; If nobody wants it I will let it fill up my bags
    Pass= Don't want; I don't care if nobody wants it, I do not want that trash in my bags
    yerm likes this.
  13. Tevez Augur

I feel that the majority of people in need only groups are those who will be doing high end raiding and will replace most things they get. Others who will not be raiding or will raid very little may never get better than the item they are in the camp for and hence arnt there to get the item and sell it off immediately.
  14. Quill Augur

Greed on vendor loot. Need if you can and will wear it.

The best part is you find out who the *******s are. You know.. those guys who go around starting threads about the 'lil guys' while demanding that people adhere to their inherently selfish and insular way of playing the game.

Seriously.. its an awesome filter.

I will agree with the OP on one thing. These are all bits and bytes and will be irrelevant in the next xpac or two. So don't act like its the end of the world to be sociable. Its 17-year old loot we've all seen before :/.
  15. Mashef Augur

Always greed trash, if you research snag the research hides (seriously, casters need those spells to be effective and it's only relevant for 13 more weeks anyways). Nothing worse than a melee snagging hides but then they complain if you don't have spells. If you want hides roll a caster and level up.

Usually FFA all need on big ticket items. Common or low value drops who cares, NBG away.
  16. Healbro Elder

Can a brotha get an amen?
  17. MaxTheLion Augur

Seems to be two unyielding camps in this debate. The Need camp consisting of the more raid oriented "hardcore" players that understand the shady things that do happen in groups and want no part of being taken advantage of. The Greed camp that doesn't care they're not #1, consisting of more casual players that still have faith in the community and enjoy the journey and trying to make new friends.
  18. Lokarion New Member

It seems to me less like a hardcore vs casual thing than an vs not thing in my opinion. I've been a semi-hardcore raider in a bunch of mmos over 18 years and I've probably met less than a handful of people in games that had an automated nbg system that needed on trash drops or gear that wasn't a direct upgrade on the character they were on and every single one of those interactions generated no drama other then "sorry, you needed on the wrong item, you're out of the group", "okay, bye."

Maybe their's some huge difference in attitude in the fully-hardcore guilds, but it doesn't surprise me at all that almost everybody in this thread who said they needed on everything either solo/boxed or stuck to their probably -filled guild groups.
  19. Lankie Augur

I love the logic behind "if 6 people need trash drops to avoid accidental ninja'ing, they are all greedy a**-holes". But "if 6 people greed trash drops they are super nice and will go to heaven"

You people baffle my mind grapes.

The 2 camps are Logic Vs OmgNeedLolololKickCya
  20. Quill Augur

Pretty much. But that difference has always been there tbh. There are a set of people for whom its a benefit to be able to streamline and extinguish all social aspects to games in pursuit of 'winning', as the social aspects they can't apply a dollar amount to. And for the life of them, they can't understand any other way.