Make Paladin’s Even Better

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Clingingdecay, Aug 17, 2018.

1. josh Augur

It does lower your hate overall, the negative hate mod is more than what is given by the nuke and the heal, test it yourself. get a merc, let it build some aggro, then cast censure, your hate will go down relative to the mercs. it's not a large loss, but it is a loss.
  2. Brassar New Member

This entire thread is a troll. Make Paladins .... Come on we have heard it all before. I do wonder why as the half cleric your Vie is a 15% (OP) compared to pure priest you get some of your abilities from the Cleric which is at 10% that seems a little out of whack and back to my favorite Gift of Life you can't be serious that 400 range it is a bit much and the 20 min recast comment if you have 4 paladins that makes for a nice 80 60 40 20 boost if things are going sideways. But on to your abilities lets see Warriors MGB that buff or splash the raid oh wait they can't.... SK's do that MGB or splash cure oh yeah never mind…. This thread is about woah is me because such and such has x ability and I want to do that too. Paladin can in their current form tank just fine and single target aggro as they should. PBAE aggro has never really been your thing be happy you have any ae aggro aa at all, get over it that's Warrior and SK's area they aggro you crush or taunt and crush it off so they are not tanking the entire group of mobs. Since you are not tanking the entire wave you can then cast that splash since your not tank the entire add wave. I will end my soon to be labeled "troll" with what direction do you the Paladin class want to go? Sounds like give up some healing/buffing abilities for some PBAE aggro, tank tools or maybe just maybe you use the tools you already possess and be the hero.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

The spell data adds up to positive hate totals for both the nuke (5103-4059) and heal (7468-3673) and that's what I'm going by. Maybe it has something to do with how hate focus, from mask (30%) and Preservation (15%), is calculated? If the Hate Mod is multiplied before summing the total that would result in a negative total.
  4. josh Augur

Well there is a hate cap on heal aggro, its 1500 i believe. so you are subtracting from that with the hate mod I would assume, could be wrong. The hate focuses might have something to do with that too, I have no idea how all that interacts to be honest.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

Not that I want to feed the troll, but this comment is completely false.

Paladins are the original AE aggro tank. We have had heal aggro since level 9 (now level 1). In comparison SK got their first AE aggro spell (Wave of Enfeeblement) at level 30 (now level 27). Warriors get their first AE aggro ability at level 59.

Paladins are the original kings of tank aggro in EQ full stop. Neither SK nor War held a candle to Paladins and Warriors were last in aggro behind Rangers (who also have taunt skill and were considered a tank). Times have certainly changed, and that's okay by me, but claiming "never" is fan fiction.
    Liljit and Maedhros like this.
  6. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Glad you posted this. Was reading through the thread and was about to go log in to test because I know that PD isn't our weakest ToT heal. It is actually a spell I think is extremely important for us. Also, unlike censure, it can twinheal. My parses spamming all 3 on raids (which can get me to top 3 on the heal parse behind 1 cleric in my guild and usually the tank themselves only, and have been #1 before) when in healing MT mode, PD does more healing than anything else in isolation when casting on cool down.

Valiant, as level 105, also doesn't proc a GoM that you can use for another high mana spell, while PD does.
  7. Brohg Augur

which spells qualify as high mana? Alliance & Dicho both can use Valiant's GOM
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Any mana is greater than zero, obviously.

But spamming a couple k mana spells on cool down adds up quick.

brilliant is almost 1900 mana
    group heal is almost 4700 mana (this is a big one but less likely to time it)
    burst heal is over 3200 mana
    splash is 2800+
    censure is almost 2000

And the stuff being spammed, remembrance, crushes, more PD casts, valiant, etc are all 1000-1400 mana

Proccing at least 2-3 gom a minute adds up to a lot of mana over the course of an 8 to 15 minute raid.
  9. shiftie Augur

Last time riou had a conversation and actively tested things hate mods effect negative hate.
  10. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

The original post is "Make Paladins Even Better" implying that something was recently done to make them better, which is true. Then they followed it up with an original idea that turns out to be a very minor quality of life improvement for heals. Not sure why you were so triggered by that.

Our version has downsides that the Cleric version doesn't have, thus the debate. Besides the very short duration, one of the main downsides is we can't just put it on anyone, they have to actually be targeted by the mob we cast it on.

Probably your only valid point. The range of 400 is large. Since they just made this change, I'd wait to see if they modify that in the next patch before getting all bent out of shape. Some honest questions though:
    1.) why weren't you concerned enough about it to post in the test patch thread prior to it going live
    2.) are you going to advocate carrying more Paladins on your raid force since you think it's such a game breaking ability? Perhaps you should carry 9 so that you can get that awesome healing boost at 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 and assure the victory at all times. :p

Warriors don't cast "real" spells. They have a nice group AC buff though (Field Champion @ 814AC for RKIII).
    SKs have repeatedly been told "no" by the devs for requests like this because they are a "selfish class". They do have an odd group based heal + mana return on their bite spell recourse (Xalgoz's Bite Recourse = 2340 hp heal + 1171 mana).

Honestly, complaining about Paladin buffs is a real joke. Our buffs are overwritten in the group and raid game except for Brell's line and you don't seem to be complaining about the Ranger or Beastlord buffs. All 3 classes have a similar buff that their parent class doesn't.

Paladin = Brell's Blessed Bastion RK III (4712 HPs)
    Ranger = Strength of the Windstalker RK III (1360 HPs & 428 Attack)
    Beastlord = Spiritual Vibrancy RK III (2591 HPs & 281 Attack)

So you're really complaining that Paladins can buff some of the raid (melee classes will take the Ranger version for the higher attack) for an extra 3,352 HPs. Depending on the class, that's roughly 1% of their fully raid buffed total. Oh the horror. If anything, you should be upset that Beastlords obviously get the crappy end of the stick with these buffs.

This thread has never been that.

Nobody thinks we should have the same level of PBAE aggro as SKs and Warriors but we should have enough to adequately perform our function in a group or raid.

There is definitely an argument that can be made about whether our single target aggro is where it should be compared to Warriors and SKs. This is especially true once you realize that the AE aggro abilities of the other two classes works on 1 or more NPCs. They're not coded to require a minimum of 2 NPCs to actually work.

Honestly, your trolling is very weak. We are already the 3rd best tank in actual tanking, aggro generation (single and AE), and DPS. In exchange (outside of the normal heals and cures that we have) we can buff a raid with Brell's, and cast Splash heals. The devs have easy ways to limit how useful our splash heals are on raids. They either set certain effects up to not be removable or make it so using our splash heal with a cure can cause problems by curing the wrong effects on other players. There is never a case where the pure priest splash heals are penalized for their use but the Paladin one isn't. Our splash heal also heals the least amount, as it should. Don't forget, it was added to the Paladin class to provide a unique role and thus a reason to actually carry them on raid rosters instead of replacing them with real Clerics and/or Warriors.

Please feel free to try again.
    Warpeace, Maedhros and Liljit like this.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

Hmm, I left out Refute stacking

Code:
    total = Blessed Guardian + Protective Devotion + Refute for Honor
    61%   = SPA 168 (36%)    + SPA 162 (15%)       + SPA 451 (10%)

25% of that mitigation can be refreshed continuously.
  12. shiftie Augur

gotwar, Drogba, Allayna and 1 other person like this.
  13. Wulfhere Augur

One thing I was reminded of this past weekend, while doing some testing, is that Protective line shares a timer with the Light healing line. Most paladins retired Light when Burst (no timer) was introduced. I decided to test Light again because of the adversely long spell bar cool down of Burst. Could Light work as well instead thanks to + healing mod bonus? (No)

Well I noticed that PD was down when I cast Light because they share the same timer. I hadn't been thinking that PD was any kind of upgrade or replacement for (obsolete) Light line, but in practice I have to agree that it has been. It's a 1s quick Light heal spell that's friendlier thanks to ToT healing and has a vie side effect. From that point of view, I like Protective even more and vote for improvements as suggested by others.
    Warpeace likes this.
  14. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

To the guy who created forum account to poast to this thread: Should we feel honored?
  15. Password1234 Augur

Now we can truly Make Paladin Apostrophe S Even Better