loot mistakes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elricvonclief, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Lenowill Augur

It's widely known at this point that SoE laid off a lot of CS people during the big let-go a few months back. This change in policy coming on the heels of that is no surprise. At this point, expecting a reversal to let CS keep on handling misloots at full steam isn't likely to get us anywhere, so I don't recommend wasting too much energy on it. We're likely better off trying to get a solution developed for the game itself.

Ideally the coders could somehow implement a loot system similar to WoW's that allows a NO TRADE item to be freely tradable to people who were originally eligible to loot said item, for up to two hours after the looting is done. Once that period elapses, it's locked in. That would solve 95%+ of legitimate misloots.

Now, in practice that may be nigh impossible to implement because of how different loot rights and item coding is in EverQuest. But I don't know what our loot code looks like.

(For my own part, I wouldn't mind the items just being flat-out tradable or attuneable to begin with, but I don't expect that I'm in the majority on that.)
  2. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Firiona Vie loot code for all!

I'm in favor of that.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

1 loot petition per guild per month. I really cannot believe this is that common, at least with us it is a rarety and not common, maybe once every quarter if that.
    Caudyr, Reprisal and Sinestra like this.
  4. Machen New Member

They used to do their job and help every time a character was stuck, too, but a code change both saved them time and saved us time. Seems if they could give us the tools to fix these mistakes ourselves, if it really has been taking a lot of their time, then that's a win for everyone.
  5. Gragas Augur

Well since Bulwark of Blades failure, Decap not working for most of an expansion that is was introduced in, and Dying Blow not working for a couple years, forgive me for saying coding/recoding something in EQ evidently is not that easy.

Limiting an account to one miss loot per month would be a lot easier to implement and more than likely way more less man hours/work than recoding how loot works in EQ. Google Docs would handle it quite nicely for tracking purposes for CS.
  6. Rouan Augur

Maybe this wouldn't be an issue if they just got rid of the effing Loot All button.

When was the last time anybody actually intentionally clicked that?
    Usullx likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I use it when grouping, but then we always have a master looter.
    Caudyr likes this.
  8. Gladare Augur

If I want to loot all, I shift + right click a corpse. Any time I'm not sure if I want to loot everything on a corpse, I'm not going to look at the list of items and then decide to click loot all. I'll loot as I check the list of items.
  9. Machen New Member

I very seriously doubt many raid misloots are caused by someone clicking loot all on a chest. That would be a good way to never be invited back.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

and of course you would have had to have been a special kind of idiot to have turned off the no drop loot box which would have popped up several times.
  11. Tearsin Rain Augur

i actually did that once... looted an entire chest, by mistake.
    i've had nodrop confirmation turned off since it was introduced - it's basically never relevant to me, and i hate using the mouse with a passion if i can avoid it within EQ.

anyways, i went to go open the chest from MC in order to link the loot to the raid, and didn't notice my shift key had gotten stuck during the last thing i typed - so i just ninja looted the entire chest.
    pretty embarrassing of course, and to this day people in the guild still give me grief over it.
    would have been mightily depressing if this policy was in place at the time... fortunately back then CS distributed everything for me and it was fixed within a day.
  12. Langya Augur

You really just aren't a nice person, are you?

I would take a software solution over ANYTHING you have to offer.
  13. Tearsin Rain Augur

it's not even that they're not a nice person, it's that they're in a casual non-raiding guild and has absolutely no clue whatsoever about the subject they're mouthing off about.

if all you ever do is play in groups or sometimes casually pug raid, i can totally see how you might be naive and ignorant enough to think that "nodrop confirmation" is a reasonable response to this subject.
  14. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

How about forcibly enabling; that is, disabling the ability to disable, the no drop confirmation for raid loot objects? (dragons/chests/etc.)
    artofnoise likes this.
  15. Tearsin Rain Augur

and how exactly is that in any possible way a fix for the issue at hand?

scenario 1:
    person wins an item
    person goes to loot their item and clicks the right one
    no-drop confirmation box comes up, person clicks yes, loots the correct item

scenario 2:
    person wins an item
    person goes to loot their item and clicks the wrong one
    no-drop confirmation box comes up, person clicks yes, loots the incorrect item

the no-drop confirmation box doesn't do a thing with regards to fixing the instance of looting the wrong item in the first place, that is just something that is always going to happen and having a way of fixing it is the only viable solution.
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

It's easy with few side effects, and would remove the case of someone hitting 'loot all' instead of 'link all'

or having shift stuck down, as in the example you yourself gave...
  17. Tearsin Rain Augur

true, but allowing an in-game way of trading items between participating members of a DZ would fix every possible issue that has been laid out all at once, rather than just being a potential fix for one of many different problems.

i'm not saying the idea you're presenting wouldn't address a very specific and singular occurrence, there's just a lot more to the overall problem than just that instance and i think the best solution will be one that addresses all of them at once.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I'm a very nice person I just don't suffer fools gladly. You are trying do away with human error. Guess what? It ain't ever going to happen. Yes, lets waste dev and CS time trying to come up a solution to an unfixable problem.

You are right, I'm in a casual non-raiding guild and because you are "right" about that you must be "right" about everything else...../snicker.
  19. Tearsin Rain Augur

complete lack of self-awareness with an ironic failing of the proper application of sarcasm + applying it to a strawman = this post is all sorts of win.
  20. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

If you say so, bud.