loot mistakes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elricvonclief, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Machen New Member

It's probably somewhere between the two. 1 in 100 would be a lot now that I think through it, but it's not like it never happens. I can remember probably around a dozen times in the last year and a half. Often someone looting on the wrong toon, sometimes people getting confused between two items with identical icons. Regardless, mistakes do happen.
  2. Machen New Member

Also in this particular case, SoF expansion is set to release for us in a week and a half, which will trivialize all the Solteris loot. So while this guild may be back a few times, and get a little more return on their investment, they aren't likely to continue raiding it too many more times.

My main point here though is that at least in some cases that mislooted raid item can take considerably more effort to achieve than an epic, and therefore be at least as worthy of CS staff time as an epic. Whether it's twenty man hours, a hundred, or in an extreme case a thousand. Hopefully that's something that Sony will take into consideration.
  3. Tarrin Augur

Don't get me wrong, I hope some sort of middle ground can be reached. Mistakes suck, and I can def. see both POVs.
    At the same time..someone mislooting once every 5-6 weeks is still really really really high. I have been raiding since 2006, in 2 different guilds now. I can't think of one time specifically that it has happened. Oh, it probably has, I am sure It has just been so rare it has slipped my memory.
  4. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Heh. Any system they come up with from RL designating loot through a UI function to trading no drops within a raid instance can and will cause problems requiring CS to step in to fix it. You know it, I know it, and I bet they know it. So why waste valuable time and resources? The UI has a check on looting no drop items and the solution works in probably 99% of all cases where they are looted. To loot a no drop item that "you" were not suppose to loot takes either deliberate or careless action. Please do tell how any system is going to eliminate an outcome based on those two characteristics no matter how "technically" savvy it is?
  5. Tearsin Rain Augur

allow any raid drop to be traded between two characters that were in the same DZ win for say 15 or 20 minutes after the item has been looted.
    problem solved basically universally, totally in the hands of the players, completely removes any burden of responsibility past "someone notices the wrong thing was looted".

it's the most (if not only, truth be told) logical system for an in-game method of dealing with this particular situation.
  6. Tarrin Augur

The only question is how feasible it is to input something like that into EverQuest at this stage in the game.
  7. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

So that should take care of everyone who cannot read and should at least provide a little bit of pressure for the deliberate mis-loot. I'm sure it will open up a thriving business in selling loot to other players within the instance. That should make getting kronos easier.
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I imagine its about as feasible as getting an entire expansion launched at the same time.
  9. Tarrin Augur

So what you are saying, is that there is no chance?
  10. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

I blame all the raiders who spent their dkp on items for their alts... loot on their main n petition the loot to their alt..

Its always people who find away to abuse the system that ruin it for others.

We actually had someone miss loot the other night. I also play on the TLP servers. We killed 2 gods we had the hybrid cloak drop along with the preist cloak. The preist cloak was awarded first, and can u guess what happened? yup the hybrid cloak was looted by the preist. We only get 3 months of farming an expansion before a new one is released, so sometimes the really rare items we only see once or twice or sometimes never at all. Like others have said mistakes do happen, and the fact that NOTHING will be done to help fix mistakes because of people who abused the system just simply isn't fair.

When an actual mistake happens there should be some way to fix it.. So what can SoE do to justify the time it takes to move items.. Charge Station Cash! If someone genuinely makes a mistake they are going to want to fix it, they will feel guilty and will want to do whatever they can do make it right. 500sc maybe even 1000sc. People that are just tryin to gear an alt wont be as likely to pay 10 dollars every time they want a loot. Please consider charging station cash as a means to fix actual mistakes.
  11. Tearsin Rain Augur

well, basically that would only exist within the bounds of pick-up or alliance raids, i guess - and sure that's theoretically something that could happen, but IMO there being the technical capacity for a person to do that in a pug raid is a reasonable trade off for the ability of never needing to involve CS in a misloot ever again, or for a person to be screwed out of an item due to someone else mislooting.
  12. Tearsin Rain Augur

well in theory (and i emphasize in theory since i know what a complete, as they say in german, 'clousterfukken' EQ's code is) it should be possible to basically use parts of the "must be present for the kill" code from the SoD vendor flagging, and then either write up some code that puts a time limit on an item being traded, or maybe something like make it attuneable, but can only be traded to someone from the same DZ?

i'm not being flippant and saying that it would be easy to crack out the code to make this idea work, i'm just saying that it's the only truly viable in-game method of giving players the power to correct these issues (that i can think of anyways) and needs to either be implemented, *or* the policy against CS doing item swaps needs to be rescinded.
  13. Sinestra Augur

There are mistakes and there are instances where you can't be bothered to pay attention. It's easy to loot an item on the wrong character when you are are boxing, or to accidently forget you're playing your chanter and roll and loot an item for your SK that you were playing earlier in the day. Does the no drop window help you identify this? Not at all other than it is another second or two for you to think about it as you dismiss the window.

You looking at two identical icons and not verifying which one you are looting is just you not bothering to pay attention. Will the no drop window help? It could if you do like I do and take that extra reminder to double check your item and what you are doing which is what I always do when the no drop warning comes up when grouping or when I used to raid.

I don't think it should be something CS refuses to deal with, but looting mistakes should get put at the very bottom of CS issues to help with.
  14. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

They could go and make all no-trade raid dropped items into attunable. Sure, that could open another can-o-worms, but it would also allow to properly use the master looter system from the raid tool, deal with loot after the fights are done, etc etc...
  15. Machen New Member

Yes and no. A recent example of this that got us was the fist weapon from two gods in Solteris. It has the same icon as the phosphene clusters. We have a guild officer loot all the phosphene clusters (several drops on every chest) and then hand them out to people who win bids. The first time the fist dropped, it was tucked in among two phosphene clusters, and she just quickly looted everything. Could she have caught it if she'd been paying closer attention to the loot message, sure, but when you loot 15 of those clusters a raid, and have no idea there's something else on the loot table with the same icon, it's an understandable and easy mistake to make.

Similar thing happened to us a couple months ago in TSS, where one of the items from Dyn`Leth has the same icon as a spell rune (2-3 of which drop on every chest). When you're assigned to loot all the spell runes on the chest, and you see 4 items that all look like spell runes, and have no idea something else has that same icon, well by the end of the first 3 you probably aren't reading the loot messages carefully any more. Especially when you also looted the spell runes on the previous three chests as well.
  16. Tearsin Rain Augur

if items could additionally be flagged with "can only be traded to other people who were in the DZ" that would be a viable option too, though i think that just making nodrop items temporarily tradeable to others in the DZ is a less problematic way of approaching it.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They need to make sure every item in a chest has a different icon, most if not all of our loot mistakes have been down to items having the same icon...we also had a misloot of a couple of spell runes when they change the colours around of Greater, Glowing, etc

Yes they should have checked the items before looting, but when things have the same icon or they change the colours round after everyone is used to things being certain colours they have to accept part of the responsibility for the mix ups.
    Imrahil likes this.
  18. Machen New Member

I think the easiest way for them to fix this would be a /lootrewind command, or something similar. If you loot an item, and realize it was a misloot, hit /lootrewind and it takes everything you've looted in the last two minutes off your inventory and puts it back on the chest(s) (including respawning the chest if necessary--or just change it so the chests don't despawn until a couple minutes after the last item is looted, so that it will still be there to restore items to.)

This would only work within two minutes of looting the item, but the vast majority of misloots, the looter is immediately aware of the mistake, or someone else in the raid is sure to make them aware of it very quickly. And Sony could even disable it the last two minutes before the chest poofs, so that there are no weird situations created as the timer is about to expire.

This wouldn't solve every single issue, but it would solve probably 95% of the issues that CS has had to deal with. And it seems like it would be a lot easier to implement than something like making each item tradeable to a specific list of people. All you're doing with this idea is basically reversing database entries on the character and the chest, fairly simple to implement.
  19. Gragas Augur

Easiest way to fix this without recoding/coding some in game stuff is well, let CS actually be Customer Service.
    Fix miss loots and fire/reassign the guy who thought not handling miss loots with an available resource was a great idea or time saver?

A simple and easy solution for the original problem would be limit how many miss loot petitions any one account can have per month would be 5 each, if you are miss looting more than 5 per month then evidently you are trying to exploit something.
    artofnoise, Imrahil and Caudyr like this.
  20. Sinestra Augur

I'm sorry, but 5 per month per account? That's way too high.

I prefer they allow items be tradeable while in the zone or only allowing the items to be put back on the corpse they came from so it requires people to be present to loot. It will take some work, but it will be worth it. Or allow the main looter in the raid to be able to assign gear.