Loot Etiquette - OOG Boxer Rolling

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zephan, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Machen New Member

In fairness, that's not what the OP described. The guy in the group rolled, on the same item, twice. They didn't let the shaman roll out of group also. The shaman was just given as justification for the guy in group rolling again a second time around.

At least that's how I read it.
  2. Rauven Augur

That's not even what the OP described. That doesn't even work in advanced loot.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

His OOG Shaman wasn't rolling, he won a lore item and then by the time it dropped again he no longer had it so was eligible to roll. The shaman took it, he died and shared banked it, he died and while waiting for rez he sold it in the tunnel, he auctioned it and someone ran down to camp to pick it up, in a later era he summoned a banker and shared banked it. Heck, they were in Chardok and there is a banker there he could have used to shared bank it. Maybe he straight up deleted it. If it wasn't a lore item and it was need all then it might not have even got noticed.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

A distinction without a difference. The shaman was effectively rolling. Still, like has been said, if the rules weren't established ahead of time then anything goes.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  5. Chaffe Journeyman

Personally, it would never occur to me to have to stipulate something like this. The group rolls, nbg covers it, and I would never think to say, "Hey, so your oog toon you chose to bring doesn't give you special or double consideration when things drop". It's a d*ck move, the people saying it isn't would do the same to you and try to justify their entitlement. Just old fashioned greed.

Add to ignore and don't group with again is all I can say.
  6. Baratu New Member

lol @ the vigorous defenses of this obviously scummy behavior.

What a weird little forum community we have here.
    Chaffe likes this.
  7. Leifer1969 New Member

I think it's bad etiquette, but the group should have seen it coming. If he wasn't even needed, but was just hanging out and helping outside of the group - why do you think he was there? Obviously, to roll on the loot.
  8. Machen New Member

If I've got an alt shaman that can buff/heal out of group, and it's gonna help me get more xp, I am going to bring him and sit him out of group even if I don't expect to roll on anything with him. It's a pretty common scenario. Groups just need to discuss and lay the ground rules up front rather than assuming how it is going to go, and then being surprised when the loot drops.
    Accipiter likes this.
  9. Rauven Augur

That's the pot calling the kettle black for someone who has AN checked all the way down. I've never seen you try to champion a cause to try to change the default Need All to anything else.

Seems like you all are ticked that someone did a thing you thought you could do yourself.
  10. Baratu New Member

Or, to provide added support so his experience bar moves faster? Which is the #1 reason why anyone brings an OOG box to their group?
  11. Zephan New Member

Interesting debate on both ends. I disagree with those saying, 'Should have seen it coming'. The time grouped together hours leading up to the Fungi Staff drops was pleasant and after the first two dropped the sentiment was to keep the drops rolling and get as many as possible a fungi staff. I don't think any of us actually thought a 3rd fungi staff would drop but based on the group chatter I didn't get the sense that someone would take 2 of the 3 if given the opportunity. I wouldn't, but that's just me.

It's also worth noting that 'Faceless' asked if he could have at least 3 items (nothing super rare) that dropped for equipment upgrades. This was prior to the Fungi staffs. Everyone obliged no questions asked and we were all happy to help. So yeah, I just got the feeling that if someone won a very rare and highly sought after item they'd pass if that same item dropped again.

At the end of the day I'm not bitter or angry. At the time I was certainly irritated but it's a lesson learned and it's been interesting reading both sides of the coin.
  12. Machen New Member

Discussions like this about loot disputes are posted pretty frequently on these forums. The #1 universal piece of advice is, "Communicate the loot rules up front so there is no confusion." That doesn't happen in a lot of pickup groups, and so these things happen all the time... And anyone who has been around the block a few times SHOULD be able to see it coming. Maybe it's your first time experiencing something like this, I don't know, but next time, you should see it coming.
    Tweakfour17 and Rauven like this.
  13. Rauven Augur

A thousand times this.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

If you don't communicate the rules before hand then assume its roll Need on everything, even if you can transfer lore items off and roll again. Unless its a guild group, then its NBG.
  15. MustardonWatermelon Elder

How long until this whiner makes a post on a yahoo message board? Dude should get with the program, if they want to micromanage loot, they need to do so.
    "very rare and highly desired item"

Lol, get over yourself.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

The top guilds have a lot of scummy players.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

I presume you know this New Member?
  18. Artimos New Member

OP doesn't come across as whining and I'd consider a Fungi Staff both rare and desired for most casual players. Based on the varying responses I'd also say the original question is a valid one which has sparked quite a bit of debate.

My take on it. Every PUG I've joined has been NBG. I have yet to see the situation OP described or someone gating a lore item to their bank or banking said item on death. That said, I wouldn't think to call out specifically "Need on everything but you can't win a lore item twice". Evidently that's just common practice for some people in this thread and it obviously should have been called out... *eyeroll*

I think OPs situation is rare and hasn't happened to 99% of the population. I'd also bet that those saying OP should have specified no winning lore items 2x when he/she joined the group have never called that out in their own groups and would be frustrated if the same situation happened to them.
  19. Ravanta Suffer Augur

What absolute scummy behavior.

Dude has a group.

Wants to impose draconian loot rules, doesn't take the time to type out simple and short like "1 good item per person" despite having multiple opportunities to do so.

Failing to communicate that to the group, they also don't communicate that to the person who has master looter. Making the loot rules in this group the standard lazy group window autorolls.

They regret that after the fact, because they didn't end up winning anything.

Makes a post on the forum whining about it, and the mod decides to moderate out the names of the characters, but for some reason decides to keep it as meaningless slander on the entire guild for the lols because that makes sense.

Takes the time to make a reddit post as well.

All because they couldn't be bothered to type "1 loot per person" at some point.

I'm glad it seems the poster used their in game character name to write this garbage, so I can laugh at them in game.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  20. Machen New Member

I've been in groups where I made that assumption and then was informed we are doing NBG after the item the group leader needs drops. (Not recently, I know better than to assume anything these days.) You can get screwed either way if you assume and don't ask.

If I'm going to assume anything, I assume that everyone will do what's in their own best personal interest in a pickup group, and/or whatever I would least like them to do. That way I'm at least never unpleasantly surprised.
    OldTimeEQ1 and Tweakfour17 like this.