Loot Etiquette - OOG Boxer Rolling

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zephan, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Zephan New Member

Situation: Last night I was grouping in Chardok on the Mischief server. One player brought his 60 shaman and kept him OOG to help with buffs, spot healing, etc. For the sake of the story, we'll call this character... Faceless. We never asked Faceless to bring his shaman or implied we needed help, it was certainly welcome though. Faceless was playing both characters well and wasn't AFKing the shaman. The group had been together roughly 3hrs or so and a rare mob dropped 2 Fungi Staffs. Crazy, right? Faceless wins one and someone else wins another. 30-45 minutes later another Fungi Staff dropped. Faceless trades his staff to his OOG Shaman and rolls again and wins his 2nd Fungi Staff.

Most of the group was upset minus one other player (this player won the other fungi staff). We kindly asked Faceless to let someone else win from within the group. Faceless laughed and said he had the right to multiple rolls because he was playing two characters and kept both Staffs.

Question: I was irritated at the time but now I'm genuinely curious if others think he was in the right to roll twice and win twice on a highly coveted lore item because he was boxing OOG?
  2. Captain Video Augur

There is no magic rule a group has to be six. IMHO, if he's actively playing two and both are contributing to the kills, then both are entitled to participate in the loot. A raid would be no different, just on a larger scale. If the others in the group didn't want to split or roll seven ways, you really shouldn't have waited three whole hours to speak up about it. What the item was that ultimately triggered the dispute is irrelevant.
  3. Gnothappening Augur

IMO it comes down to this. If he hadn't been 2 boxing and instead a friend would have come an taken the staff, would he have still gotten another roll? If you guys only said one win per person, then that is different, but otherwise, someone could auction and sell it while at the camp and roll on the next one.
  4. Gnothappening Augur

As an additional note, always lay out loot rules ahead of time, even if it is just greed greed greed.
    Skuz and Accipiter like this.
  5. Alnitak Augur

What was the loot rule you've agreed upon before the rolls ? Can a person roll on the same item after the win on the previous drop ? Some groups say OK, some do not, some go on need-before-greed, some go on pure greed. Did you have a main looter deciding or all-for-themselves ?
    The fact that the item is Lore is irrelevant, that guy happened to have a second toon nearby, good for him. The fact that shaman was fighting is also irrelevant if the main groupped toon had right to roll. I've seen loot questions resolved in a variety of ways. Typically - just agree on the loot rules before the long camp.
    Also, please note, that the other player who had won the first roll (on of two) was not upset, so perhaps your frustration is more related to you not winning the roll, rather than to who won it ? It's easy to gang up for 4 "losers" against the lucky double-winner, much easier that to tell yourself "Relax, you are just out of luck tonight" and congratulate the winner.
    Next time - agree on loot rules before the camp.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

I agree, multiple hours in, he was playing both effectively and contributing on both. Would you have been mad if the item wasn't lore and he won a 2nd of any other item?
  7. Religious Elder

The decision to allow him to roll on a second character and thus win loot for a second time, was 100% a group decision. His opinion aside, the group allowed it to happen. I wouldn't so much blame him as I would everyone else. If the group had a problem with it, they needed to say no, and handle loot delegation accordingly. Boxing or not boxing does not entitle a player to more loot than any other player unless agreed upon prior. There are avenues of communication available to players so they can make known how they want to approach loot either in the moment, or in advance, and it sounds like you group made the decision to let him have his second roll.
  8. Nolrog Augur

^^^ This ^^^

We're all here for fungi staffs so if you win the roll on one you don't get another.

I don't like those rules, I am playing two, I get two rolls.

No problem, good luck. (Faceless is removed from group). Group looking for one more, PST.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Yeah that's pretty dirty for a high value item.

If a group goes through a lot of turnover that's one thing, but if its the same group it's dirty.

I'd be curious what guild someone like this was in.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Can't you guess by the made-up name given to this player by the OP?
    Dre. likes this.
  11. Seraphix Elder

[Phallus] move. Nothing you can do about it either. I think that's what makes this particular behavior more frustrating. It's just someone feigning ignorance of basic group etiquette to hoard more for themselves. Personally, I'd just add that person to my "do not group" list and move on.
  12. Atomos Augur

People are greedy. I suppose you can take solace in the fact that there are still those of us out there who wouldn't have done something like that. But some people's primary goal in life is pixels and video game money. TBH we should feel sorry for them more than anything, because the chances are, they don't even realize they are like this, or worse, don't care, and neither of those are healthy.
  13. Gnomie Denser than most

You're going to hear answers from both side of the spectrum on this one. Some will say it's fine, others will say it's a lame move.

I personally don't care much about loot or Krono so i'm all for need before greed and stuff like that. Others have different mentalities. I'm not a fan of what happened in the OP, but there's no real right answer. The right answer is whatever your group decides on beforehand.
  14. Febb Augur

Oh they know what they are doing. You don't need to feel sorry for them or act like you care. They chose to be this way, no one put a gun to their head.
  15. MustardonWatermelon Elder

16. Rauven Augur

What was the established loot rules? Group leader decides this at the start. If they don't say anything, then the established default is Need All and let the Advanced Loot handle it.

You all may not like that but that's what the majority of you do. Actually I will say this, you ALL do this. Why cry foul now? Even the OP does this. Why bother crying foul AFTER the rolls don't go in your favor?

Average EQ Player = Hypocrite (among other things)
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

Didn't this same post get locked by moderators on the official sub-reddit?
  18. Fhiele Augur

I don't see a problem. You guys could have had a wipe, and while waiting for rez, he shared banked his staff, and done the same thing. kind of uncouth, but I dont see a big problem here
  19. Rauven Augur

What is uncouth about it? Try this join any pick up group, right now, any of them from 1-60 on Mischief. Ask what the loot rule is. They'll say, "Need all."

Not, "Need all.... but if this staff drops."

Maybe you'll see spells go to the classes that need them.. Maybe.

What is ironic is people like you if leading a group before this thread, and asked what the loot rules were would simply say, "Need all." Not, "Need all... but if x, y, or z drops then..."

When this loot stuff began around the time of Ragefire on TLP, the vast majority decided it was going to be Need all. It was easy, convenient, and generally except for a select few, everyone agreed. The problem with quick and easy is the consequences.

This thread is proof of that. But now some people (maybe you're one of these, maybe not) want to close pandoras box after its been open for a while. No.. that isn't going to happen now. The general loot rule is simply Need All. That means if someone has an OOG whatever, even if its a level one rogue hidden in a corner not helping anything, can just shift all the lore stuff over so they can win more stuff. That's what Need All means.

You could setup different agreements on a per group basis. IF you are leading it, or IF the leader agrees to it. But let's be honest. No one in this thread is going to bother. Need All is so much easier. Everyone's just going to squirm a little bit when they don't get the chance at the items they thought they would.

What is even more hilarious is I'd wager many of you are stuffing items like the Heiro Cloak and such in your shared bank before you go do your leveling groups so you have a chance at another. Oh but that's fair because you're not using a second account as a mule. Its fair because that one didn't drop in -This- group. All justifications on why this little greed isn't as bad as that bigger greed over there. Its all greed people. The Greed of the ease of use of Need All is what got you here in the first place. Just own up to it and be honest with yourselves. We're all greedy little turds. Some are just more honest about it than others.
    OldTimeEQ1, Appren and Tweakfour17 like this.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Not "need all, and by the way my out of group shaman will be rolling, too"?