Long Time Away

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Slowhand, May 5, 2015.

1. moogs Augur

Daily quests come from Franklin Teek on the west side of the Plane of Knowledge. You'll find him between the small bank and the Guild Lobby. (There may be a small crowd gathered around him.)
  2. Slowhand Elder

Nice. So those become available at level 75?

Difficult?
  3. Borek-VS Augur

Yes, from 75.

HAs are intended for a group, have nameds (which you can skip), and some pulls will be multiple. Mobs will be more or less the same level as the highest player in the HA. Some classes can solo these, others can't.

They were originally tuned for 85+, and there have been reports of mobs using spells of a much higher level in the lower level HAs. But these problems may have been fixed. If you have a group of any sort with reasonable balance, you should be ok.
  4. Quatr Augur

In some HAs mobs range from dark blues to whites. In some other HAs there can be a fair number of yellow cons. In certain HAs you will run into ambushes, mobs clustered in underground tunnels (requiring tricky pulling or CC) and other non-trivial scenarios. That's part of the reason why the Gribble HAs are so popular -- you can do them quickly and reliably even when you are tired and don't want to think too hard.

When I was doing high 80s-low 90s HAs in April-May, many mobs used level 96-100 spells.
  5. Slowhand Elder

Eureka moment a few days ago. Have played too many games where killing yellows and above were the norm. Was hard to change that mindset. If there was anything I could pass on to a new player I would stress that killing blues, even low blues, gives you the best bang for your buck when leveling.

The SK/Bard/Mage have hit level 67. Getting a pretty good rhythm going. Each class starts to open up with the different AAs. Some pulls I use SK and some the Bard. Still a work in progress.

Grouped with a guy who had a Shaman bot.That puma or cat weapon proc they have does crazy damage.
    moogs likes this.
  6. sifonin Augur

Hehe good to hear that you are still grinding away! Stick with it friend and you will have your team at max level soon enough! Do not be discouraged, but it does start to get harder from here on out! The shaman proc definitely adds a large amount of damage to melee classes! Their epic/spire clicks add even more! However, you do not have a true melee class in your box setup, and so I think the bard will certainly add his own bit to your group! Consider the fact that the bard will boost your mages pet (haste, attack, etc), you Sk's tankability (warmarch songs have AC component), as well as the effectiveness of your SK 2hand swings! Should be a fun combo!

In the late 60s and early 70s I was either fear kiting the shissar at old Katta Kastrum (from TBS) or the alligators in the Loping Plains.. These may be a bit too heavy hitting to take on with your team though at the moment.
  7. Slowhand Elder

I have been leveling in Wall of Slaughter from 64 thru 67. I prefer leaving the Bard/Mage in a safe spot and pulling there with the SK. I like open spaces where I can see the bad guys. Will take a look at your leveling spots suggestions when it is time to move.

I have been using 1h +shield. 2H is better?
  8. sifonin Augur

Sword and board for tanking/survivability, 2handers for DPS. In your set up, sword and shield is probably a better combo, but keep 2hand up too! Once you are over 80 or so you will want to get your Sk's epic 1.5 and better yet 2.0 asap.
  9. Slowhand Elder

I have been doing a bit of reading about Epics. You think level 80 or so my motley crew can take a look at it? I also read there is some trade skills involved or is that old news?
  10. sifonin Augur

The tradeskills are old news. I say old news, because the quests have been around for some 7 or 8 years if not longer. You are still required to skill up certain tradeskills for certain epics. This may seem like a time sink, but there are quests that will take you to skill level 54 in any tradeskill in Crescent Reach (I believe it is smithing at 100 required for the SK epic). The epic 1.5/2.0's were current content when the level max was 65/70 (someone else probably knows better but it was the OoW expac for 2.0's). I think that you could complete a LOT of the steps on your own, but would need help in your Citadel of Anguish run for the 2.0. Keep in mind a lot of the time that I put into getting the SK 2.0 was due to the rarity of drops off of Kunark mobs (I think the pendant from city of mist took me the longest). Stick with it though, the SK 2.0 is still one of the most useful epics out there!

Btw, I don't think it would be hard to find others to help you with the Anguish run. On my server people do it for nostalgia and just to be helpful while others may need the orbs/tunic from the main bosses for their OoW clicky vest (necros in particular).

Hope this helps.
    moogs likes this.
  11. ohmy Elder

Question,
    Have you had EQ installed on this version of your HDD before? is this a clean install for the first time since you redid your HDD?
    if so, do you have this issue; https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/c-end.223708/ ?
  12. ohmy Elder

/veto!
    If you box. yes.
    The /advl is just another thing you have to research on how to adjust the settings for.
  13. ohmy Elder

Are you used to the old icons from back in the day? (Default Old) like the ones used in Allakhazam spell list.

Download: http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?s=&id=4612

Unzip, open, copy these files below.
    Instructions: http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/faq.php?faq=install#faq_howto_install

spells01.tga , spells02.tga, spells03.tga, spells04.tga, spells05.tga, spells06.tga, spells07.tga AND gemicons01.tga, gemicons02.tga, gemicons03.tga
    Follow instructions above. Trash the rest of the files not used from the download.

Welcome back.
  14. Slowhand Elder

Update. SK/Bard/Mage at level 71. Getting tougher to tank with the SK. Have level 70 Defiant gear but have a feeling that won't be good enough ...that I will have to raid?

Necro/Shaman are at level 60.

The travelling thing is starting to grind me down a bit. The Hot Zone quests are good for XP but depending on what zone it is it is quite a hassle zoning out to get quest and make your way back. I should be logging in right now but kind of dread doing that traveling then rebuffing.

Started a 4th account to make a Druid. Maybe that is the answer to help me get around.
  15. beryon Augur

Raid gear at your level is stuff higher level people can solo now. Your best bet at 71 is the Hardcore Heritage revamp drops. Look for Athlai or Othni in the bazaar. Turn-in info is here. For 75, check out the Hero's Journey tab in your achievement window. The higher achievements give out the Paragon armor set, which will be a nice upgrade.

Wiz or druid is definitely a big help in hitting those hotzone quests. Another thing you can do if you're boxing & have a cleric merc is camp out in the hotzone when you're done for the day. The next day, suicide one toon at a time to pop 'em back to PoK to get the quest, then rez 'em and you're good to go. I of course totally planned this out in advance the first time I did this.
  16. Borek-VS Augur

Defiant gear is notoriously low on AC, and the best gear you can reasonably get at 71 is Othni (from the uplevelled summer zones). However, there are other possible reasons: mobs just start to hit harder, and that will increase, especially if you have been spending time in older zones; your SK may be lacking in AAs or AC augs. Tanks need attention paid to make sure that they keep up with these while levelling.
  17. Slowhand Elder

lol of course it was totally planned the first time o_O I like it. Good idea.

Thanks for the other tips. Will do some reading on the turn in info. A little confusing at first glance.

I think I tried a Heros Journey quest at 68 or so. Didn't plan on doing it until later but apparently it opened up when I hit a mob beside the lowbie zone beside CR and a red popped and killed me.
  18. Slowhand Elder

Yea, I will need to do some research on Augs. I know I have 1 piece with Augs but it is lore so need to find others.

I have read it here about Mage pets but didn't realize how strong they were. My SK was battling every fight needing heals. For laughs I sent my pet to aa yellow mob that no way I would fight with SK. The pet barely took damage :oops:
  19. Slowhand Elder

Thach Jerden's Glowing Armor = Othni ? = level 85 gear ?
  20. Borek-VS Augur

Thach handles Othni and Athlai, both level 71 required. He also deals with Reis, which is required level 85.