Long Time Away

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Slowhand, May 5, 2015.

1. Slowhand Elder

Had the itch to try EQ again. My first ever game of this type. I have been doing a ton of reading trying to catch up. A couple of questions though while the game DLs.

My all time fave characters was Bard followed by SK. Only got them to level 50 or so back in the day. I am thinking I might 2 box. Would that combo work? If I wanted the Bard to be my main, what class would compliment it well in the background?

It looks like Berxx is the most populated server?

Are there forums for each server to help finding an appropriate guild?

Thank you for any help and advice
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

You can now access the looking for guild window in any zone through the slashcommand "/lfguild" or from the EQ menu.
  3. moogs Augur

Welcome back.

There's this: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?forums/guild-recruitment.25/

There used to be (still are?) forums out there somewhere for each server, but they were unofficial. I wouldn't bother with them. Today there's a fair amount of activity on Facebook. I think most servers have their own Friendface group by now. And there's a general EverQuest group too.
  4. Tachyon Augur

If you want a Bard as you main, I'd suggest easy DPS. Mage would be the best for that. Your bard pulls, pet tanks and the mage throws in some nukes. Plus you have bard travel and mana song.
  5. Fallfyres Augur

While you are researching and having fun making the transition to the changes in Norrath, some of the most helpful initial tips I found were in guides listed for 'returning players.' There are several good ones. Here is one example: http://redmace.com/guide-to-everquest/returning-players-guide/
    And while some of the 'old haunts' as far a sites we used to know back in the day are sadly, no longer, some are including allakhazam or just 'zam' as its now referred to as, and eq traders.

Welcome back, and consider rolling one character on the upcoming new Progression Server due to open around June or so. All the details aren't in as yet, but there is a forum dedicated to it here on the forums, and the beta for it should be opening "soon!"
  6. Slowhand Elder

Crazy overwhelmed. Thanks for the link to the returning players. I will definitely need that. Heck, I can't even see the XP bar on the screen :( Should I stick with the UI or are there downloadable ones that are a little more user friendly?

I will check youtube tonight. They might even have some tutorials (unlike back in 2000)

I do plan on checking out Progression Server. Sounds like a good match

In regards to 2 boxing and the bard/mage combo suggested. Is it tough to switch back and forth or is it better to have 1 toon up most of the time and the other in the background for buffs and an occasional heal. Was even wondering if a Druid might back up Bard. I now remember porting is a good thing

Last, is there a site with all the class spells and descriptions

Thank you for all the tips !
  7. Slowhand Elder

Another dumb question. The tome of hero;s journey you get at the very beginning. For the longest time I didn't understand what to do with it. Eventually put it in my inventory and placed it in a hotkey. When I press the hotkey it doesn't open or appear. Just reading from the link above. The tome seems like it is important.
  8. Fallfyres Augur

-------------------------
    Yup Slowhand, you can look up all the spells on Zam -- http://everquest.allakhazam.com/

While its sort of a trait of oldschool mmo vets to be self-reliant and do their own research, as you do that, don't feel reluctant to ask things in game as well. Lots of cool EQ vets still mixing it up in Norrath and if polite in asking, you will definitely get some good info!

For myself - just came back about 2 1/2 months ago. My main is sitting pretty on FV where I raised her along with a much-played alt. I hopped on the most recent of the standard servers, Vox, which has a very healthy lower level population most days as well as in prime time.

I went through that Gloomingdeep thing and started making the transition in relation to some of the changes and picked up that wooooieeeee armor you get out of there. I used that character to slowly level up through my thirties and now, feeling comfortable with so many of the changes in the greater world and in mechanics etc, I am focusing more on a specific class and enjoying it all really! There are many social guilds that would be great for you to join up with as the built-in help and grouping would make things a little easier as you learn about new things etc.

Granted, my ulterior motive was the new Progressive Server when it starts up; but this has been a blast! GL to you, and between your own online surfing for info, asking here in the various forums, and asking ingame, you may find yourself answering questions for another returnee very soon ^-^. Good journeys!
  9. Borek-VS Augur

These are the three reference sites you will need:
    • ZAM - spells and quests, all levels
    • EQTraders - trade skills (in the forums, the main site is sadly out of date)
    • EQResource - expansions info from HoT onwards, so 85+
    The default UI is ok (I use it), but you will need to rearrange the window layout to your liking. The exp bar is in the inventory window, not on the main UI.

The Tome of Hero's Journey is useful, its also a waste of space :). If you click it, it pops up a window with suggestions of where you can go to level and do some quests. But it takes up an inventory slot, and you can re-summon it with an AA (look in the Special tab of your AA window), so feel free to destroy it if you are short of inventory.

It's not that hard to switch windows when boxing, and you soon learn how to set up useful macros to be more efficient.
  10. sifonin Augur

I am +1 for boxing a dps class with your bard. I box necro/bard and the bard significantly effects the necro's dps. This is true for all dmging spell casters, a Bard will amplify the damage of a mage, wizzy or necro.

As far as the end game goes right now, casters have a bit of an edge on melee, as with most/all melee classes you need to gear up to be as effective as a caster of the same level. Wizzies/necros are less gear dependent as they have mana regen abilities.

I know that I love it here on the Luclin server which is where I've been since it was Veeshan.
  11. Slowhand Elder

Progress report. Made a Druid to go with the Bard. Not sure if that is going to work. Enough DPS ? I still need to develop a system to use both characters. Especially good would be a system where one character is mostly just background. Using alt tab atm rather than a split screen. Also have a merc tank + cleric. Still a bit clunky.

...and how bad am I. Still can't figure out how to auto loot when both characters are grouped :confused:
  12. Fallfyres Augur

------------------------
    Don't feel too bad about that Slowhand, many current live players are still salty about the new Adv Loot System. Play around with the edit button. There are quite a few posts in the forums, some just fussing, but others giving tips about using it. Good journeys!
  13. Behee Augur

Once you get used to it, the Advanced Loot system is awesome.
  14. sifonin Augur

Fall fyres, I would still recommend a Higher damage class to pair with your bard. The bard/Druid neither have dps to write home about and at the end game nearly any dps class (especially casters) can easily out dps a wizard merc on burn. In my opinion you may have more fun being able to blow stuff up that's at content level invite a Mage or necro paired with your bard.
  15. Fallfyres Augur

--------------------
    Hehe, think you meant to reply to the op: Slowhand. As for me, I will be throwing a heal here and there, or keeping all my melee skills up for every single level, making mad money with Tailoring and Jewelry, exp-ing in GROUPS and just generally joshing around with friends on my main. I do not box, but not gonna say I won't have one, or eventually five alts for other game content since there is a LOT to do in Classic and then Kunark, and then all the other yumminess coming up, but there is that ^-^.
  16. sifonin Augur

Oh yes fall fires sorry I meant that for the op! If anyone's on luclin and ever needs a hand please give me a shout, main toons name is Sifonin
    moogs likes this.
  17. Slowhand Elder

Well that is another major issue that will be faced in the future. EQ was my very first MMO. I played a couple of years starting in 99 or so. Had a blast and was in a great guild. Still to this day I still talk to one of those people.

Moved to DAOC for 5 years and it also had a good community and guild

Then I tried other games. The main two were WoW and GW2. Toxic elitist communities. 99% of the time soloed and went unguilded. So I am a little apprehensive about what to expect in EQ after all these years. I would prefer to be in a guild and have some laughs ...accomplish some stuff, but not if people are inspecting your gear, parsing your stats and demanding attendance 4 nights a week for raiding.

So going in I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. so I need a couple of classes I can duo with and adapt after that.
  18. sifonin Augur

Slowhand,

I appreciate where you are coming from. I split off and tried daoc for a while back when that first came out. The end result was craving the nostalgia of everquest. Many people say that is gone from eq, and partially that is because it is easier nowadays to get to max level and aas, and gear up.

I can tell you from experience. I came back around 6 months ago, and fiddled around on my sk, switching
    To a monk and eventually leveling my lvl 14 necromancer. I becam addicted to playing the necro class and soon enough had a 105 necro with tds/cotf group gear. I joined an awesome family style raid guild that's been around on met server since the beginning of Veeshan. I find that if you reach out to people on certain servers you could easily achieve the same in a reasonable amount of time.

My main characters name is Sifonin and I'm on luclin with a fairly high play time. I'm always willing
    To help out so if re rolling on luclin is a possibility send me a pm or tell in game.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  19. CrazyLarth Augur

Their are non-mandatory raid guilds on servers. I am in one on Povar but other servers have them I am sure.
  20. Gleipnir Journeyman

I had forgotten how many friggin settings the game had when they created a customizeable UI, adapting to the changes as they naturally occured from 99-05 is one thing readjusting to them now 14 expansions and 10 years later quite another thing. Any good resources for what every option does, or is it pretty much just troll the forums option by option till you see what you are looking for?