login

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bezak, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Bahdah Augur

Go show them how to fix it. I've been playing this game for a number of years too, we should all know that complaining doesn't do anything. Lost 12 days in the past 12 months.. you obviously know this tends to happen.. Get your head outta your and find another game.
    Pano likes this.
  2. Worry New Member

I don't care about the delayed patches or the longer than expected downtime. happens, but I care about the poor customer service...

The lack of communication between employees and customers is most distressing. Technical issues arise, mistakes, or errors, happen and problems can always be fixed with time. However, this organization does nothing to foster patience in their playerbase. A customer service representative should be engaging with users on this forum, on Twitter and on Facebook. Even if there is no news to share, a representative should be offering reassurance or limited insights into a plan of action.

Yet, whenever something goes wrong with Everquest the community representatives wait, and wait, to make a statement or interact with the players. Changing the header on the forums isn't enough. In addition to that, a representative should be posting in the forums. Moreover, there are many customers who don't use the forums - Update the twitter, the latest news in the launcher and the Facebook page to reach your playersbase and inform them of the issues with the user experience. It's a communications failure every single time something goes wrong with this game.

The playerbase is toxic and prone to fling poo when there is little to no community relations. You can buy a lot of figurative goodwill and actual patience if DBG would simply interact with their customers in a meaningful way when there are unexpected delays. The fact that this is a reoccurring problem, referring to the login servers, would seem to indicate there needs to be a "letter to the players" type of deal that is written from one of the senior technology support staff members. The players deserve an explanation, as well as more involved customer service. We're not asking for a lot, we just want to feel as if we're valued.
  3. Claudi Elder

I have no problems with servers being down but DBG said it was a problem with logging in - so that is the information we got ....
  4. WorriedinNorrath Elder

Dow Jones is down, EQ is down, what's going on!?:mad:
    Herf and Lilliee like this.
  5. Febb Augur

https://twitter.com/everquest/status/1055168479354109952

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/login.252032/#post-3710085
    Moone likes this.
  6. roth Augur

Actually, the smart people avoid the surveillance platforms known as “twitter”, and “facebook”. Big Brother isn’t big government (though there’s a lot of collaboration between the government and big tech) its big tech, looking for more and more of your data that they can make money off of that, being *your* data, you don’t see a penny of. Look at China for what *can* (though I hope and pray it never happens here) happen when government goes all surveillance happy on its own people.

So, I’d be fine with DBG not posting anything there.

Otherwise, I agree with you - COMMUNICATION IS KEY, and DBG’s communication is most notable for its lack. That lack is a big problem.
  7. twinklefingers New Member

How to fix it: install WireShark. Set the filters to show ARP packets. Here's a quick intro video (not mine):

Look for anything responding to ARP resolution requests (like routers) that might be routing the traffic when they shouldn't be. Sometimes routers are misconfigured and siphon-off packets that should go someplace else and end up going nowhere -- leading to timeouts and very odd behavior.

Note: this has to be done server-side -- not by us!
  8. Claudi Elder

Config issue would hit all the accounts on one PC and since ppl were saying they could log in with some accounts (unless they are using multiple PCs of course)
  9. Roxxors Lorekeeper

The problem with communication is this:

If you give them an ETA of 4 hours and they plan for that, and it takes 6 and you missed it, they complain.

If you tell them an ETA of 3 days, they complain.

They can't win, when they communicate anything other then "We are aware and working on it" somebody is still going to complain. AND even when they say "We are aware and working on it", people STILL complain.

Moone likes this.
  10. Galactron Journeyman

I repair DELL, HP and IBM servers for a living, maybe you should ditch those Super Micro servers with the Chinese spy chip embedded on the idrac boards. Could be the cause. :}
    Metanis likes this.
  11. Roxxors Lorekeeper

I ment on DBGs end. Could be in the network configuration. Any switch or router, or even the login server itself. It's really not possible to tell from outside.
  12. Claudi Elder

Sorry this does not work I have a router and 4 PCs (with diff IPs) behind it and still can log in only 1 account
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Hey they no longer post about "potential" issues. They now state there IS an issue at least. It's a small think but the change did make me feel better.
  14. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Nah.

This is the identical mistake likely made by the same person over and over and over again. The problem is not the person making the mistake but the organization\management is incapable of putting processes in place to provide the necessary correction (and NO, I'm not talking about firing someone and just replacing them).
    FJ_EQ likes this.
  15. twinklefingers New Member

those instructions were for DBG staff....to investigate server-side
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Ill settle for 30 days of double rare spawns some of those old hunters are hard to get not to mention I still need murdering slave in arena of chance only done 300+ in that line and still not done with it lol.

Andarriel
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I actually think that DBG does not want this added doowntime,does not want these problems occurring and are doing the best they can with the resources they have to prevent these problems.

I have no idea if this is the same problem happening over and over. It's a 20 year old game and although I believe they have been updating some things so that they can keep supporting the game it is entirely believable by me that this can cause problems such as this.

I guess it is easy for some to believe that DBG are just making dumb mistakes but personally I think keeping a 20 year old game going is the more likely culprit. I appreciate that they continue going to that effort even if doing it is a business decision. Of course limiting downtime is probably more profitable for them too. :)
  18. Qalliel Lorekeeper

this is very true they already have a very little staff, not to mention its not like they have unlimited ash flow to upgrade everything. and working with an old coding system, hell some zones they cant even replicate anymore because no one knows how to (RIP North Freeport) so all in all their doing their best and are probably more stressed then you would belive
    Moone likes this.
  19. Flat Toad Elder

Heh,heh...Yeah, we know they're "working on it". First clue? It's getting worse. heheheh...initially managed to log in after "only half dozen tries...next time...got the "something must be screwed up on your end" msg...now...just sits there spinning...
    ***We need to be more specific about "are you making progress? yes they are...but in the wrong direction.nerk,nerk
  20. svann Augur

Almost done with Artisan aug but Id still take double tradeskill gains (to 350).
    Warpeace likes this.