Let's take a serious look at being a PvP server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hateseeker, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Trevalon Augur

I just have one question:

So you want to take the least popular servers in Everquest. Then turn them into servers that have fewer players than almost any other server?

Just out of curiosity, but do you really think that anyone outside of a handful of people would ever play on a Rallos Progression?

I get that some people would like this, but if "The server that cant be named" shows anything is that very few people want this kinda thing.
    Xanadas likes this.
  2. Hateseeker Augur

PvP would provide an answer to the raiding issues. If we can't have instancing, and we can't have PvP, and we can't have GM support (not that GM enforced rotations are a good solution anyway), then we have a chaotic KSing server.

PvP is much more fair than relying on 12 hour socks or KSing to determine who gets the mobs. It is not surprising that anti-instancers would also be against PvP.
  3. Aurmoon Augur

To think PvP is even a remotely reasonable alternative as a means to settle disputes in EQ is ridiculous.
  4. Tudadar Augur

Majority of people will get pk'd and quit. People thinking there will be lots of fair fights on a pvp server and that most people will enjoy them are crazy. People attack run away attack run away and look for opportunities to take advantage like lev on top of buildings / walls etc and supertwinks. EQ pvp is for a very small portion of the playerbase.

If people want pvp they can always hang out in a arena. I loved prenerf baz arena.
  5. Lolthorn Lorekeeper

There simply isn't the number of people who would subscribe for a pvp server to justify wasting hardware and dev hours on.
  6. Hateseeker Augur

I cannot imagine that PvP is worse than:
    • GM policing- Calling in GMs is like a box of chocolates - you never know what the result will be.
    • KSing - the other guild should get the kill because they zipped ahead while you were clearing the pre-pull mobs?
    • Wild Wild West DPS racing - the other guild should get the kill because they're all mages/ HT SK/wizards?
    • Socking - the other guild should get the kill just because they can AFK camp on the spawn and wait for a text?
    • Training - should be obvious
    Just for proper context, did you play on any EQ PvP servers? It forces players to come to their own terms for fear of inability to raid at all. Rallos was a very gentlemanly server in that regard. Note: It has to be Rallos style - if you have deity teams or such, then you WILL have constant attacks on other raids.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  7. bobjones1208 Augur

I started my EQ career on TZ for over a year and decided PVP wasn't for me. I honestly don't think enough people would be interested. People have referenced a certain free community and that PVP server only gets 1/4 the traffic as the PVE server.
  8. Mardy Augur

I would love for there to be a PvP progression server, and I would play on it in a heartbeat. I played on Sullon Zek during its prime, it was awesome. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with just 1 server this time, and whether we'll get more progression servers in the future will be based on how profitable this upcoming progression server turns out to be.

Remember they are owned by a different company now. They likely have very strict rules, tight budget, and they aren't just going to open any servers. EQ1 also doesn't have any PvP devs, so it's highly unlikely they'll want to open another PvP server that they know they can't support.
  9. Shauku New Member

I do not think there is enough demand for a pvp server. The zeks being more populated earlier in time isn't a great measure because there were many more servers and those servers were also more populated. I think the pvp market for EQ is in the ballpark of below 10% of the playerbase if not lower if you think how few servers were pvp in the Classic to PoP days.

If they had done seasonal servers I think they could do a PVP one sometimes. That would give some players that enjoy PVP a chance to play but not have too much tied down to PVP progression server. That wasn't the winner though.
  10. Vaclav Augur

Now those numbers hold - it was immensely popular at first.
  11. Overcast451 Augur

Might be interesting if they did something like - a slower progression server; non-pvp..
    And a much faster progression server with PvP.
    Hateseeker likes this.
  12. Ozni Elder

The main problem it seems like with progression on PVP is that every expansion stretches the population thinner across a larger battlefield with more zones. I really like the idea of combining it with a seasonal concept. If we had it as a second server it could be a nice way for people to kill some time when they're bored of waiting for the next unlock or whatever on the normal Progression server.
  13. Hateseeker Augur

There was a suggestion of making it only for the raid zones, but I thought of something else - what if it was only for the raid levels? That is...Classic, 45-50 are PvP enabled; then when Kunark comes out, 55-60, etc.

That way, no ganking of people trying to level up, and anyone who becomes a random PK will be throwing away any raid career they might have had.
  14. fazool Augur

Not a friggin chance. No Way. Let's take a seriously look at "NO"

But, yes a vote for the worst idea of the week.
  15. Fleeting Augur

+1 for PVP server over 200 people would come from zek and another 200 to 400 from and prob more just waiting for a pvp server that makes sense
  16. Machen New Member

And would probably leave again promptly when they find out the places they've come from have actually done more to balance pvp than daybreak will.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  17. oogey New Member

I have been lurking around EQ for years waiting for a progression pvp server. hell leave it vanilla with pvp forever. or better yet have a rotating pvp schedule. each quarter use a different servers rule set. January-april ( RZ) June-september ( SZ) etc etc. pvp was functional until it got neglected by sony
  18. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

You know, I don't support the idea of a PvP TLP (not because I hate PvP but because I don't think it makes for a viable TLP server) but if we were going to do it with the express interest of impacting raiding (which I think is a terrible idea compared to some of the realistic suggestions currently on the front page) I would say just turn PvP on for max level only. In Classic only 50's can PvP. In Kunark, Velious, and Luclin only 60's. And so forth.

Still not really a good idea - too much griefing potential, plus the number of players who don't care for PvP - but at least this would make it interesting and as you leveled up you wouldn't have to worry about a SK army warping to you and mass-harmtouching you.

I did have a lot of fun on Sullon.
  19. Machen New Member

This would not be a good idea. There would be hordes of level 49 clerics running around who could chain heal and rez but would be immune from pvp.

It happened on the pvp servers too with the level spread, but there you could do something about it by bringing in lower level toons to kill the lower level clerics.
  20. Hateseeker Augur

That's easy - separate level 50s from the rest - don't allow lower levels to affect 50s. Though personally I would prefer the range to be 45/46 through 50.

OR, to avoid hurting non-raiders, put in a sort of raid toggle flag, similar to the Priest of Discord and turning PvP on back in the day. Toggling Raider on lets you loot raid mobs (or, non-raid flagged are banished from raid mobs, or whatever mechanic is chosen) and as a consequence, flags you for PvP. Once you flag it, it's permanent until the next expansion unlocks, at which time they're reset.

Doing that would allow non-raiders to level up to 50 without being affected. So you could level up to 50 in peace, whoever you are, and if you choose to raid, you need to flag for it. Then when Kunark unlocks, everyone is reset, rinse and repeat (presumably people would level to 60).

No one that is so casual as to never raid would have to engage in PvP, and it wouldn't be completely permanent. Additionally, you don't have to flag til you're ready, so you can wait until you've been accepted into a guild(and thus have the protections being in a guild brings with it).

Note: Some people believe that ANY open PvP of any kind is automatically griefing, no matter what, period; even if that person only attacks you once and then stops. That's obviously a hyperbolic outlook.