Kernel32.dll

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Oscilioth, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woredan New Member

Back door? What is this back door you speak? Are you referring to a method of accessing someones system without a password? No one who truly desires to secure their machine relies on OS security. That is why the third party security software and hardware companies exist. Nor would anyone who truly NEEDS to secure their machine play a game with dozens of open ports, connected to the internet. Since every open port is a nice wide open back door.
  2. Woredan New Member

And bank machines do not run connected directly to the internet. They are behind Linux proxy servers running Citrix, that are behind Cisco Firewalls.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Woredan New Member

Well only if you have a wreck and while in a state of unconsciousness your wallet is stolen. :confused:
  4. Garmr Augur

Just manually patch and run the game with a patchme shortcut. It works. I run my box toons on an old vista machine I dragged out of the basement when I came back to EQ a year ago. While it sucks and is a slight pita to manually patch the files, it allows you to keep playing. When this old clunker finally dies I'll just buy a small form desktop loaded with win7 for 80 bucks on amazon to run the game.

Slight headache? Sure. End of the world and EQ as we know it? No even close.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Narye Augur

Screw it.
    Don't tell me I should have upgraded, I like my OS.

Don't tell me a new PC doesn't cost that much, don't you think I don't know it, you superior smart 's?

Did it ever pass your pea sized brains that I might have other things to pay for? That EQ is not the be all and end all?
  6. Dega Elder

It would be nice if you could make an official statement letting us know if you will help with this or just tell us that it is done and over with so we know what to do. If we have to rely on someone hosting the files and do it that way till new os/new rig can be obtained or cancel our accounts.
    Fanra and Zarsil like this.
  7. Filter Augur

They have to determine effort level of doing the backwards compatibility changes. I'm sure they zero testing on the XP OS for years now so this will take time. I do hope they make the changes for us XP users. I hope we know by the 27th so I can cancel one to two of my accounts. I hate tabbing out to a different screen for boxing.
    However this might be the thing I needed to final stop playing EQ, not a threat just reality.
  8. VehiCROS New Member

How fustrating,, woke up yesterday, and EQ would not load, still not working.
    Annoying that I wasted a day replacing .DLL files, reinstalling windows and even reinstalling EQ,, knowing dam well NOTHING had changed on my computer.
    Once again Daybreak is only gaining haters!
  9. VehiCROS New Member

OH and to be totally Honest,, I worked for MS and Everyone one with half a brain knows Windows 7 = spyware. So lets not be bullied by daybreak into being a victim of privacy loss.
    Windows XP is STILL the Last Great operating system, Ever!!.
    Zarsil likes this.
  10. VehiCROS New Member

I though of this also,, doing a quick win7 install to test, then copying the files back to an XP HDD.
    Thanks for the info, I may try.
  11. VehiCROS New Member

Hey man,, its not right that you are calling all of us "Stupid"
    I used to work for MS, and I would never run win7 and its embeded spyware. Its not about money, its about a Wise person trying to protect their right to privacy by using windows XP.
    Cakekizy likes this.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

He might be referring to the telemtry service present on win7 and later OS'ses. You are right though, if you want to hide from NSA or something like that, then just running vanilla winXP won't be enough.

A bit off topic though.
  13. Bigfan Augur

You people honestly think win XP is more secure, or has more privacy? Lol really? What do you gotta hide from? Hiding your massive child collection? Get bent. Have fun with your tinfoil hats. Takes all of about 5min of Google searches (btw Google saves your data and searches too, even private browsing)to make win 7+ locked down.
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

More and more software/hardware companies are dropping support for OS'ses older than win7, That alone makes winxp a bad option for computers running anything else than abandonware.
    Even if DBG solves the launchpad issue, it will only be a matter of time before the next xp/vista issue emerge.
    I don't think DBG intended incompatibilities to pop up on purpose, otherwise they probably would have given a warning in advance.

If Microsoft not longer informs programmers that specific system-calls are incompatible with pre-win7 OS'ses(or if microsoft no longer prioritizes winxp-compatibilty), then it is not reasonable to expect DBG to get a patch winxp-compatible on the first try either.
    They might fix it this time, IF the fix is easy, but don't expect them to give it a high priority in the future.
    Ghubuk likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think a lot of people don't realize not everyone can drop a 100 bucks on a new OS. I don't fault Daybreak for changing the min specs a couple of years ago to Win 7 but I feel bad for those having problems now. Unfortunately at some point people will need to upgrade their computers to a newer OS or have more and more things stop working.

Though if you just use it for basic stuff you can probably go forever but I suggest not connecting to the internet as most security packages don't support XP and those that do probably don't do it all that well anymore. I took as long as I did to upgrade the last of my computers from XP because I only used it for Everquest and that was it. I didn't go to websites I didn't do anything on the net other then EQ.
  16. Panza New Member

those willing to sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither. I guess I stepped in to a sheepel herd of cognitive dissonance, If you think win 7 + dose not have "back door" pipelines to streamline NSA violating the 4th amendment then why did the FBI throw such a fit over the Iphone's lack of a "back door". seriously there is nothing crazy or even incorrect about fearing the Gov. violating your rights. they WILL over and over.
    Zarsil and Cakekizy like this.
  17. Reht The Dude abides...

Would love to read your thoughts on HAARP, chemtrails, flat earth, etc.....
    DruidCT likes this.
  18. Lyrik New Member

Yeah...they can easily add an if/then to re-support XP, but XP users will have to make a lot of noise. Might be a test to see how long before they can add stuff that wasn't available in Windows XP. Customers staying on XP holds back a lot of functionality that has been added in the last decade by Microsoft. It guarantees they stay on DirectX 9 because DirectX 10+ is not available on WinXP.

Anyway...if you're hard up for a windows key financially, This site currently has $15 win10 keys.

https://www.scdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-cd-key-global_1227-20.html

I have bought similarly priced Windows 10 keys from a different company (Kingwin), and those machines have worked for nearly a year now. They activate online fine.
  19. Cryophix New Member

how do i do the bypass?
  20. Suifeng New Member

Make a shortcut to eqgame.exe on your desktop, right click it, and go to properties. On the "shortcut" tab (which should be the one that it's on when you go to properties, but in case it isn't...), in the line labeled "target", after the address, put a space and the word "patchme" (not in quotes)

So the target line should say something like this (will change, based on where your install is):

"C:\ProgramData\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\LaunchPad.exe" patchme

This will only work if you download the changed files (or get them from someone else), as if the game isn't patched, it'll give you an error. But once you have the files, the patchme work-around will allow you to get into game and play.
    Dyna and Reht like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.