Kernel32.dll

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Oscilioth, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socratic Journeyman

It's not the client. The issue is with the launchpad only. The actual game client runs just fine on XP. These "new features" just make it so you can't download updates.

Has anyone actually figured out what "new features" were added? I haven't noticed any.
  2. Bigfan Augur

It's only a matter of time until eqgame.exe doesn't work for under win 7, so count your blessings. Because soon even the work around won't function.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My guess is that the launchpad isn't handle by EQ1 devs at all, it was originally a leftover from starwars galaxies I believe, and is probably used by more games than just EQ1(code sharing FTW!).

Im not even sure it was because of any "new features", though it did say "updating components" when starting the launcher on patchday.

Maybe the launchpad devs had windows update turned on, and had some of their microsoft devtools/SDKs updated that way, and microsoft is too blame. Probably a dev unrelated to the EQ1-team updated his dotnet framework/SDK or something, before a routine-recompile...
    A lot of things can happen to compatibility, even if they don't change anything in their own code...

Of course, smart administrators closely evaluate every single windows update before accepting an update from microsoft, maybe something was overlooked there?
  4. Thrinity Journeyman

So, whats up with the launch pad? played fine yesterday and today it wont let me log in with the pad (4-404 oh joy). So i have to bypass the launcher which works just fine. But hey, i am wondering why i can play on one PC and not on the other. Both have Window 7. And i tried all the 4-404 "tricks" but seems the problem is on your side :p
  5. VehiCROS New Member

Yeah, thats a joke,, and only a fool would pay for Windows 7 when there are easy ways to get it for free.
    and NO, only a wanna-be geek would be stupid enough to call it an upgrade. Windows XP is perfect the way it is, Bug free, created with integrity,, and Even the Idiots Geeks can remember when it was "new" and the latest OS,, So how can such a person suddenly start bad mouthing what they once loved?
  6. nantalbus Elder

For me its less bad mouthing the software and more bout asking why anyone who knows computers would stay with that old a software.

I been using computer form when it was dos based only and all the way up with windows and some mac stuff.

Where older version of windows better then 7/10? yes I can remember a few I like better. But I am also smart enough to understand that once a version of a software is 2 or 3 versions old it time to replace it. Once a OS is in end of life support or the company has killed all support for it then its a ticking clock before software companies stop making software that works with it.

Unless you are good enough to write code that lets a older OS work with newer stuff, then anyone with any computer exp should know when its time to bite the bullet and get a newer version.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah they have have held our longer but they also announced back in 2015 for EQ. So EQ has had a min sys spec of Windows 7 since 2015. They just were able to keep things going this long as you said.
  8. smash Augur

Well, maybe get DBG to make clear out the following: How long are windows 7 going to work, same for 8.0 and 8.1. Then people will know what kind of os should they go for. Ofc. best would probably to go for 10.
  9. Ghubuk Augur

They are probably unable to do that. How long microsoft supports the os is more likely the determining factor.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The LaunchPad team is different than the EQ team, at least in the past. I would assume that is still true.
  11. VehiCROS New Member

There is a fine line between replacing what is old, and knowing what is best.
    There is not a single person that would agree 7 is better than 8, and 9 was Soo bad that MS would not even release it. and 10 is Pure spyware, which is why MS gives it away for free.

That said, I cannot say enough bad about Windows 7 that Windows XP did better.
  12. Narye Augur

So, c'mon already - fix it!
  13. Cakekizy New Member

It's not free.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

A lot of people seem to be under the mistaken impression that Win10 is still free. It was free to upgrade from 7 & 8.x for the first year; after the Anniversary Update last year, you could not upgrade from 7 or 8.x for free.
    Cakekizy and Suifeng like this.
  15. khiron1416 New Member

here's what they sent, finally, in regards to my ticket. looks like it's a done deal.

Greetings,

We're sorry, but XP and Vista are no longer supported operating systems (and have not been for some time.)
    Although players may be able to play using unsupported software and/or hardware, access is not guaranteed.

In order to continue receiving support for this game, you will need to upgrade to a supported operating system.
    You may be able to find temporary workarounds via the game specific forums in the meantime.

What are the minimum system requirements to run EverQuest?

Regards,
    Scott "Fraudmonkey" Dale
    Customer Service Manager
    Daybreak Games
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They changed the wording: "minimum recommended" into "minimum required" on that page. Guess its official now...

Snippet from an earlier quote from thursday: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/kernel32-dll.239855/page-2#post-3528367
    Some sort of frontpage announcement would have been nice, when they change stuff like that IMHO. Would save support a lot of tickets...
  17. Derd Augur

Support can't really help you, follow the change files process and you can play. If they find a way to fix it great, but you can get around it for now.
  18. Bigfan Augur

19. Drcoracle Journeyman

Seems to me breaking the launcher is an early warning sign. Right now you can get around it. But if and when they write some new code for the game itself, and use a new procedure call and if you are running anything less than Win 7x...................... o_O
  20. Aghinem Augur

For those who maintain a hard-on for XP & Windows 7 - I would suggest just upgrading to Windows 8 or 10 for the sake of compatibility; and use Oracle Virtual Machine (freeware) to run any Windows OS you want for older programs. I have Oracle VM on my machine for those 16 bit programs that are not functional in a 64 bit environment. Runs great.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.