Ideas for compensation

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, May 27, 2020.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I don't understand people who have zero lateral vision. Laser-beam focused on themselves and self-aggrandizing. They refuse to consider alternate points of view because it violates their internal code to the point they fritz out if they do.

You agreed to downtime when you clicked 'Play'. End of line.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Elyee Lorekeeper

When people share something about their perspective, often it becomes something they will defend without considering alternatives, due to our human psychology & our Identity Protective Cognition - the backfire effect causes a lot of disagreements without even considering logic: Here is a fun and informative Adam Ruins Everything clip to outline that >>>
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Are you comparing Facebook falling over with some extra game downtime?
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Before anyone can gauge the reasonableness of your argument you need to give specifics on the nature of the problem.

PLUS you still have not proven that daybreak didn't bring in folks. The simple fact that the problems in at least once case were fixed during off hours would seem to indicate that they did have people working on it.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ahhhh now here we have it. Your example is a far far cry from a game that has regular downtime as part of its functions and a financial institution unable to complete transactions. Again an overblown example.

And the fact is Daybreak always has folks working on issues when they happen. Any time the server goes down they have folks working on it to fix it. Just because they can't get it done at the speeds you want doesn't mean they aren't working on it. And that is what it comes down to. They DO try to fix server outages asap they just aren't able to do it with a snap of their fingers.

And it is easy to see since there are many times they fix server outages outside regular officer hours. Now please show me the quote from Daybreak where they say they refuse to bring folks in to fix things.

I even see the Dreamweaver in community relations working outside regular hours. Fact is daybreak knows issues can come up outside regular hours and they have staff for that.

Now a totally separate question is how much resources overall does Daybreak have for maintaining and fixing technical issues. Is it enough? I don't know. Only Daybreak could tell us that. My feeling is the game is not making enough money to have the very best software/hardware/IT but I could be wrong. I also feel we have a relatively small player population although probably a higher then average subscription rate among that population.

Now what I can say is I also am very sure the staff and resources there are being used to the best of the the ability of those handling things to keep the game running and updated. I am sure the folks working on the game are NOT just phoning it in.

So it comes down to this. Many of us feel Daybreak staff are doing the best they can with what they have and some of you feel cheated and hard done by because of the downtime we have experienced. That alone does not make either side bad guys. BUT I do think some outrageous examples and behavior have been used to try to support the outrage some have been feeling. Again, that is just my personal feeling on it.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I've stopped responding because I am not desperate. But Daybreak/Darkpaw can be proactive and pragmatic to "smooth things over."
  7. Cuuthbert Augur

Ideas for compensation
    1. Get a job
    2. Get a job
    3. Get a Job

This entitlement stuff is unreal. If they offer something great, but entitled whining expecting it. Yea get a job
  8. lockjaws Augur

I love how this thread stays relevant several times per week.
    Marton likes this.
  9. dreadlord Augur

I asked for evidence.
    You gave no evidence
    How do you know they *always* have folk working. Have you personally witnessed this? You have a 24/7 spycam? Access to staffing rosters? And then you tell me they fix it asap - well, again,. no evidence, or we have a very different idea of asap.
    It seems a lot of people come on here and post categorical assertions on the basis of nothing at all. Not even a statement from the company! (which would need to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway).
    We have a very different idea of what constitutes a 'fact'.

You speak of 'downtime' as though it was a hegemonic whole. It's not. There's the planned stuff and the other stuff. The financial institution and daybreak are exactly comparable - neither can fulfil their function in the example given.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

EVIDENCE
    THINGS GET FIXED OUTSIDE OF NORMAL OFFICE HOURS. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A TIME WHEN SERVER OUTAGES WERE LEFT TILL THE BEGINNING OF THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY.

SERVERS GOING DOWN ON THE WEEKEND GET FIXED ON THE WEEKEND. SERVERS GOING DOWN AT 8 PM PST GET FIXED THAT EVENING. SERVERS GOING DOWN LATER IN THE NIGHT GET FIXED THAT NIGHT.

READ DREAMWEAVERS UPDATES OUTSIDE OF OFFICER HOURS WHERE THEY STATE THEY ARE WORKING ON THINGS.

I have mentioned this EVIDENCE more then once. Based on your view of things a server going down at 6:05 pm PST wouldn't be brought back up until 7 am PST or a server going down at 6:05 pm on a Friday wouldn't be brought back up until after 7 am PST on Monday. Server problems happen at various times (yes most happen during peak server loads) but whenever they happen we never wait until the beginning of the next business day for them to be resolved.

What over evidence do you want? Yes regular software issues that do not keep the servers down will get handled during regular hours for the most part but server down issues are always getting handled right away. Because no matter the hour in which it happens they get brought back up that is the proof you keep asking for. You are just upset they don't get it done as fast as you want. That is a whole different issue.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I don't want compensation, I want a stable server with no extra downtime outside of patches.

I also understand that while the devs are working from home, there will be times when things take longer than they would if they were all working in the same building, especially if there is a hardware failure meaning someone (or more) needs to travel to the office to get if physically fixed.

Priests need to cure this damn virus - death to COVID-19 !!!
  12. dreadlord Augur

You are making (shouting!) a completely different point.
    I said give evidence they are *always* working on x or y. as that is what you stated as a *fact*.
    I say you have zero evidence
    Saying that you are working on something does not mean you are *always* doing it
    I have no idea what normal shift patterns are at daybreak - I suspect you don't either. So neither of us know whether folk are working outside or in addition to their normal hours - again, this information has not, that I have seen, been vouchsafed.
    Personally, I would imagine that a multinational company would have 24/7 coverage, and not adhere to USA 'office hours', as a matter of routine.
    And we don't have to look very far into the past to know that the service has been down for many many hours - I do believe that is what started this whole discussion..... you don't have to look any further than these boards to see that information came out very very slowly, irregularly and inaccurately indeed
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is more than likely due to Dreamweaver working from home due to COVID-19, where normally they would walk to the dev/coder offices to find out what is happening they have had to use other means of communications, no doubt not easy for a dev/coder to continue working on issues and talk to someone on phone/internet. I know when I'm on the phone and doing something else, one or the other gets neglected.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Corwyhn Lionheart said:
    “Ahhhh now here we have it. Your example is a far far cry from a game that has regular downtime as part of its functions and a financial institution unable to complete transactions. Again an overblown example.

And the fact is Daybreak always has folks working on issues when they happen.
    <snip>

.”
    I asked for evidence.
    You gave no evidence
    How do you know they *always* have folk working. Have you personally witnessed this? You have a 24/7 spycam? Access to staffing rosters? And then you tell me they fix it asap - well, again,. no evidence, or we have a very different idea of asap.
    It seems a lot of people come on here and post categorical assertions on the basis of nothing at all. Not even a statement from the company! (which would need to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway).
    We have a very different idea of what constitutes a 'fact'.

If you are saying they work on regular stuff 24 hours a day as opposed to server outages then why would they do that? I never said they did and it would be totally silly to expect them to.

Getting informed updates form Daybreak? Totally agree until recently they have been very very bad at it and Dreamweaver has improved things immensely on that front. I still remember a community person who thought there was no reason to even say sorry for a server issue.

And yes the server was down for hours and yes they were working on getting it back up for hours. As my previous statement about evidence proves they ALWAYS work on getting servers back up and from every incident I have seen they do that 24/7 though I suspect if it happened on Christmas day they might not get to it nor should they have to.

But as to information coming out slowly or inaccurately I think as of late the information coming from daybreak has been quite good and many times better then they have handled it in the past.

And having worked for a mutinational no we have never had 24/7 coverage in the vast majorty of the business. Business time locally and even if an officer was open across the world it was generally dealing only with stuff in their area. You may have to imagine the work of multinationals I don't. But I will also say there are going to be variances depending on the type of business. Cybersecurity 24/7, Pet food not so much and all sorts in between.

There are many many many many many many examples of how parts of a business do not operate 24/7.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Dreanweaver is still doing much better then daybreak or soe has done in the past though.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They are doing very well, can't knock them for trying in these difficult times.

Not sure how much the kitty is helping though :)
  17. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

LOL this has to be a troll post. This very paragraph has been said more times then "Please Pull Forward": at a McDonalds drive thru. This game isn't going anywhere for the next decade or more. It makes money, thats all that matters.
  18. dreadlord Augur

/sigh
    You said "And the fact is Daybreak always has folks working on issues when they happen"
    I said 'prove 'always'
    You stated what you claimed to be a fact. Either we have very different definitions of 'fact' and 'always' and/or you are unable to prove what you seem to still be arguing

No-one has said a petfood multinational manufactures 24/7. (they may do, I have never worked in petfood). Multinationals *that I have worked for* (emphasis as you felt it necessary to have a personal jibe) had both a) comms staff on call 24/7 if not actually working and b) tech staff working *and* on call for business critical and internet provisions. (as well as managers with overall responsibility for them)
    I would suggest a 24/7 online game has far more in common with cybersecurity than petfood - do you think Symantec doesn't have teams ready to go at a second's notice 24/7?
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You are just never going to get it.

Daybreak reacts 24/7 to server outages to fix them How do I know this? I will repeat the same thing over and over the problems end up being fixed any time of the day.

Now I have no idea what else you expect them to fix 24/7 and bring people back from honeymoons for. Bug with pets call everyone back from vacation. Some folks aren't getting there 500 DBC call everyone back from vacation?

When servers crash they work 24/7 to bring them back up. Again and again the proof is we actually see it happen.

So what am I saying is a fact that you disagree with? Do you disagree that servers are brought back up during non office hours?

You keep telling me I am stating things as facts that are not facts. Fact is we see evidence all the time that during non officer hours they are bringing servers back up that have issues. That is not in question it happens.

Should they be working 24/7 at the root cause of crashes? Not in my opinion I feel that is totally oncalled for. They can work on that during business hours. If you feel otherwise I feel you are being unreasonable. And that is where I think we are at. You will continually feel they have to do far more then I will ever agree with. We just have far different ideas abotu what is reasonable.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The funny thing is Corwyhn keeps posting about not receiving his 500 monthly DBC claim elsewhere on the forums.

To use his argument, he should let it go because EverQuest has been around for 21 years.

He complains about missing his monthly 500 DBC claim, yet he judges people who complain about outages (though his original intent here was to derail this thread to discuss server mergers).