How rare is "rare?"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Leerah Augur

1/100? 1/1000?
  2. Warpiggs Augur

I'm thinking rare is "rare".
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It varies on the item, content, and such. I would figure that most rares in EQ are in the 1/100 to 1/500 range.
  4. Lazy automation Elder

You're so passive aggressive and its annoying as hell.
  5. Elricvonclief Augur

Rare is someone else gets it before you, repeatedly, until you give up.

Then one drops, and you finally get the fugger....

That is my EQ life...
    Viltaire likes this.
  6. Mykaylla Augur

Rare is as rare as Soon(TM) is long.
    Leerah, Dzarn and Potawatomi like this.
  7. Sebbina Augur

Rare is a steak that isn't dead yet.
    Sinestra likes this.
  8. Toquillaw Augur

Rare is hours and hours of continuous camping, just so you can leave for a potty break and someone kills the named ... and gets the rare drop.

I think of "rare" as very unlikely, less chance than uncommon, and a lot less chance than common or always-drops.

It's rare! We don't want rare. We want more. MORE! Not rare. MORE!! :D
  9. gcubed Augur

Stick a fork in it. If it moos it is rare. If it doesn't it is ruined. ;)
  10. Tachyon Augur

I'd say less rare than most people think. It's the time factor more than the drop rate.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

Rare is when you never see something until you no longer need it.
    Elricvonclief and Jhenna_BB like this.
  12. Ishtass Augur

Rare is a software video game company that has made such gems as GoldenEye and Perfect Dark.
    Illusionist_Innania and Dre. like this.
  13. Lighteningrod Augur

Rare is camping the wrong spawn point.
  14. pk76 Augur

rare is ---------->> xorbb's caged hatred
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=109087 we killed so many nameds in xorbb and only see that one once , it was our "" xp camp "" in sewers , where 7 or 8 different nameds are not far each others.

i saw one in bazaar for 1 million plat , and was gone the same day.
  15. Leerah Augur

In Old Sebilis, the beetle that drops Staff of the Waterwalker- I killed it 83 times in a few days in March. I /bugged that they might want to look at it. Killed it over 20 times recently. Not one staff. Maybe it's been taken out of the game. Maybe it is the wrong mob from what Allakazam said. I know the Vibrating Gauntlets of the Infuse are supposed to be ultra rare but I get them about 1/100 King kills.

Maybe someone in programming can give us a chart?
  16. Falos Augur

WTS a few of these on xegony if offered a high enough price to encourage me to part with some of the ones I have!
  17. Uxtalzon Augur

My concept of rare is finding an actual girl player instead of all the guys who play and act like girl players. :3
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Your looking in all the wrong places! Ladies exist but are normally chaperoned by their other halves!
    Illusionist_Innania likes this.
  19. Ranpha Augur

Zonewide drops are usually 1/1000 (can confirm with Magelo). I think in the old world rare items were like 1/100 chance (of a named). In modern zones the rare of the non-armor loot is usually not that rare at all, although I think for Armor loot, there is a 1/100 change of it dropping the BP of any appropriate named (again, Magelo is your friend for figuring this out).
    Leerah likes this.
  20. Quiptos Journeyman

I agree on Xorbb's caged hatred, hundreds ( literally ) of named mobs and haven't seen one yet. I doubt if we have had 10 on the server since the zone was launched. Before that I would have given the rare crown to Halfling mask, I spent 94 hours 20 minutes farming that one with a timer waking me up. WTH was I thinking? lol :)