How rare is "rare?"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Mykaylla Augur

Female people don't play EQ. It's a rule.
    Stubar, Amor and Candydare like this.
  2. Silv Augur

Vent/teamspeak fixes this problem; I think you'd be surprised how many female players there are (unless you picked the sausage server).

So yeah... rare in EQ is ridiculously subjective. Are we talking Quillmane rare where it will take a million years if you don't know how to trigger it? Loot table rare like the water clicky that took me 20 Aten blobs? Generic XP zone named spawn if you camp the right PHs?

As mentioned above, check with magelo.

Perhaps the beetle in Seb is just scared to give away the staff to a female player, Lee. :p
  3. Mintalie Augur

I'm a real girl. (not to be confused with a Real Doll)
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Took me 13 hours straight, I was prepared for a weekend of very little sleep, so I was pleasently surprised when it dropped.
  5. CaptAmazing Augur

Why do they have it as so rare anyway? It gets used up and becomes worthless. Why make it rare on top of that? I swear, I'll never understand the mentality of the people that run this game.
  6. Candydare Elder

Chandrok wrote:

"Because these items are much better than other similar items, they are intended to be much more rare. The power source does drain as all power sources do, but it has more energy as well. If you manage to get one, you should use it sparingly to prolong the life".

I giggled at the last part but in Chandrok defense he does take the time to create these chase items. :)
  7. Leerah Augur

We'd need different standards for a rare spawn, which is usually 1/5- 1/9 for the zones I'm thinking of. And of those spawns, I observe 1/5 times it drops an uncommon or better. 4/5 times, a common loot. But I didn't keep charts/stats so I could be way off.

Allakhazam says things like "rare" or "ultra-rare." Is there a page where it tells what that means?

PS, I haven't been a 'girl' for 40 yrs.
  8. krozman Augur

Rare is that thing you want, that you eventually get....right before it's nerfed and everyone gets it.
  9. Xikteny Augur

The rarest thing I owned as a noob: Solist's Icy Wand.

Dropped twice out of over 11,000 loots observed by Magelo.
  10. Leerah Augur

:eek: Hope I didn't tribute or destroy one when I was a newb wiz.
  11. Ishtass Augur

About 12 years ago I farmed for that dang wand for days before giving up.
  12. Xikteny Augur

Would you care to guess how long it took me to find one? Same time frame as you, about twelve years ago...

About fifteen minutes. o_O

I recently decided I needed one to place on the wall of my house, but gave up after like three days of killing every living thing in KT. I had no idea just how freakishly lucky I was, back in the day.
  13. Lobber Journeyman

Quillmanes Floatation Cloak. Nuff said.
  14. Leerah Augur

Can't assess Quilmane's rarity since there's a method to spawning him. Think about Kunark nameds, or things that don't change frequency when they have a 'increased spawn rate' period.
  15. Khat_Nip Meow

Vaniki immediately comes to mind.
    Leerah likes this.