How often do you log on, not find a group, and then log off?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Chorus Augur

I mostly start boxing, then start dropping boxes as LFG types show up...Although now I am behind a couple of expansions so I don't see any in the zones I'm currently working through. However, I must admit that I've become less inclined to even bother adding people lately. I keep seeing level 95's in level 110 zones wanting to join up. Sorry, but I'm not your PL service. You have literally nothing to offer in the form of assistance for that content. Why do so many expect to be carried through in zones they simply aren't capable of tackling yet. At that level, an AE will kill them anyway, and there's enough of those that it's going to happen a LOT.

Not to mention, the lower level/hp causes them to have a longer aggro radius. It's a lot of work to box AND keep someone who doesn't belong there alive.
    Cakekizy likes this.
  2. Laronk Augur

I get that too, if I want to go do an aa burn or just straight aa grind I'll invite them to do gmm with me. I've tried before offering to do content with them at their level but I was refused they only wanted to do current content.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. AcemoneyFV Augur

My only problem is finding people to do older content that really offers nothing to them. RoF Challenges, VoA Challenges, the MM for the Coldain (Hero's Journey). I like to get all the achievements possible, others just want to do RoS/TBL/whatever is current and raid, nothing else.

I just recently got a small grp together and finished the first MM for the Coldain Seal Aug, failed the second mission with 3 and everyone left. I'll probably wait another month or so to find enough people to want to try this again. I enjoy doing anything, killing low lvl mobs for a quest item to killing named/ doing tasks in RoS/TBL. I know missions are meant for a FULL grp, but needing all 6 people for challenges really sucks when they fall off, no one wants to go back to kill LBs/greens for just an achievement.
    Drayman likes this.
  4. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Here is where boxers can help. Leave a spot or two open in your group and see if there are those in zone LFG. Invite them. Real simple. I am in ST (ROS) alot. I figure if someone is competent enough to get there, they are more than competent enough to group up with my box team and group with me. But for the "solo" player.... one more account to box yourself when needed (even if just alt tab style) is all you need to smooth out the times when LFG doesn't get you a group.

I hear alot of people getting great mileage from SK\Warrior and a bard plus a dps\healer merc.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Recently been grouping with a guild SK, he can solo the GMM mission but enjoys the company of others. He always asks in guild first to fill 4 empty slots (he keeps 1 for his merc), 5 if one of them is a healer, if he still has space he adds from those in General who want to join.

Grouping with players from general chat has been an eye opener. Some are a joy to play with others are a complete and utter nightmare and have gone on the do not invite list. Problems include the player going AFK as soon as they join, being greedy over all loot (even stuff they are not of a level to use yet), and not having a clue on how to get in the GMM mission and worse how to get to GMM.
    Metanis likes this.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

This about sums it up + some tells.

"Group needing (role), and (role2) looking to do (task)" PST.

"/tell buddyyouknow hey, come help us out with this to augment the random people we may or may not get?"

You catch people who are lfg but not willing to form their own groups.
    By giving a task (could just be random slaughter, could be a mission) you catch people who are interested in that.

Lets form a group just leaves you spending 30 mins trying to decide where to go even if you get a group. You need a goal. (can revamp it if needed after you form up, but at least you're starting with a goal)
    Duder likes this.
  7. Duder Augur

All of that
  8. enclee Augur

While I agree with all of the above, I used to be an organizer and would check /who all <class>, not everyone is a leader or wants to lead every time they log in. Not everyone is going to have a plan each day, that’s just an unrealistic expectation. This game never found a way to structure itself around this typical pattern of behavior. I think the best, they did was LDoN because it readily concentrated a high population of players in various activity hubs.
  9. The real Sandaormo Augur

/1 kickazz group seeks 5 more
    /1 sorry full
  10. Bigstomp Augur

You don't need a complicated plan. "Group seeks more to go kill some mobs in GMM and maybe more once we see what we have/need"

Your plan is basically saying we're going to go do something, not hang out in the guild hall.
    Mintalie likes this.
  11. Laronk Augur

Oh I forgot to add, here's some good tips if you're willing to try to hijack groups and convert them to your cause.

If you see someone with mercs out (specially dps mercs) try to join their group
    If you see someone boxing ask to join his group
    If you see someone moloing / soloing ASK TO JOIN THEIR GROUP
    Go to the newb grind zone (FM) or the expansion entry zone (stratos) and shout that you're lfg

Most groups don't keep looking for people once they've started unless they're doing something hard. You can still ask these groups to join and they'll let you join.

Use tells, hardly anyone reads say
  12. Laronk Augur

If you don't wan't to be a leader, that's really on you I would like dungeon finder to be added to everquest but I don't think it will happen. Even if there was a bunch of solo content you'll run out of solo content and then be stuck as a "not a leader" with nothing to do.

Unless you have done everything you should be able to have a plan, even people who play wow for 40 minutes a day have a plan, their plan is I'm going to press the dungeon finder button. Your plan/goal doesn't need to be specific but if you have an idea of how long you're going to play and a general idea of what you want it will make your game experience better. For example I'm 110, I have a hour or so and I want to grind out a bunch of AA! That means probably doing GMM Darkness howls in a pickup group and converting it to killing some more orcs in the static zone.

Next time you're online write out all the crap your character needs, make a list of quests, augs and really you probably need exp (Tradeskills too). All of those things can be goals and part of the plan. The reason I say have a plan is if I don't have a plan I end up in pok. Don't be the 14 yearold who opens the fridge and shouts "MOM there's nothing to eat!"

Take this list and separate into what you think you can molo, what you can duo with any class and what you think you need a group for.

As for farming augs, tons of people don't have good augs in every slot. Get a link, then post in general looking to farm this aug xxxxx, we'll farm you one too!
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As long as 95's have no expectations or feel entitled to groups I have no problems with them asking if they are willing to be ignored.

Within a guild you are more likely to see 110's adding lower level guild members to groups when they have room in their group that isn't needed to do the content. Even then I think it's more appropriate for the 110's to offer a spot then be asked for one.

On the other side of this though I think it is fair to say there aren't a lot of opportunities for level 95's to get level 95 groups. Let's face it most of the players on Live servers are max level and grouping is hard to come by if you aren't at or near max level. Where are these people going to look for groups? Have you checked how many folks are in those level 95 appropriate zones?

I think its great that people like Laronk will add the lower levels when it won't inconvenience him. I do think lower levels like 95's should be getting in guilds where they can build social bonds which will do more to get groups (as long as they aren't going in with the purpose of "must bond with player x" to get group, if its forced people will see through it).
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And let me add. Don't be pushy in doing this. Ask once and leave it. Pissing folks off will not get you groups.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  15. Laronk Augur

Ahh yeah you just ask each group once, it's kinda like a flyby. Hey guys, I'm LFG do you need the most amazing druid you've ever seen I'd like to replace a merc or a box!
  16. Fian Augur

Not surprising, but this thread has been hijacked. The purpose of this thread was not for tips on how to find groups (I am an experienced player, I already know most of what as posted), but more along the lines of what can DBC do to improve the chances for players to find productive groups in game?

What I do find interesting, is no one is posting that they find it a challenge to find groups. I hardly think I am the only one.
    Drayman likes this.
  17. Laronk Augur

Oh it can be a challenge to find groups, we were giving you suggestions on what YOU can do. They actually added things to do for solo / duo this expansion. Go work on all those quests you need for chase items. Collections, EOK hunters EOK questing getting access to TDS zones (questing) these can be done solo/duo.

Also tradeskills and working towards stuff like artisian augs

But also if follow all the suggestions I put in this thread and become "that guy" then you're the man and people will seek you out for groups. When you log in people will be like "What are we doing tonight brain!" and you'll respond with "The same thing we do every night pinkie, try to take over the world"
  18. Drayman Elder

You are not the only one. Declining player base makes it what it is. I am sure it's less of a problem on some servers but on several low pop servers, it is a definite problem.

I am not sure what the answer is. The game is geared toward high end hard core players and I would guess that this is the majority of the people playing. They have their groups, guilds and box armies. There isn't a lot of room in the game for anyone that doesn't fit that mold and so most of those single character, casual to semi-casual players have quit.

I would say that DBG could try and build some content designed more towards the casual player. But whenever they do that, their core base of players throw a fit. See any of the threads about GMM for examples of this.

Like it or not, that's what it is. If you don't like that, its probably time to move on.
  19. Laronk Augur

Most of the raiders in that thread thought it was dumb to nerf gmm at this point
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Zamiam Augur

like was previously stated .. if you want a group 85% of the time your online be social and join a decent family style guild that has a decent member roster ..take the initiative . I know you've heard it all before ..

if you can start off boxing 3 toons + 3 mercs then slowly fill group with real players eventually you'll end up with a friends list where you wont have to box very often .. and they make the game pretty easy where one does not even have to pay to play ..
    most T1 gear if not all is non prestige which means a F2P toon can wear .. granted it all depends on the class you choose will decide if you can take that toon to current expansion .. but you can pay gold for your main toon and the other 2 box's can be F2P caster types class's with pets are nice ..