How is there not at least 1 Corpse Retrieval Server? Just 1?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Snatches, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Valanie Lorekeeper

I always thought CR stood for corpse recovery, not corpse retrieval.
  2. ShivanAngel Augur

not to mention a lot of us still have those CR stories that make us nauseated....

ergo, 2000..... quick jaunt into fear to help a buddy turn in his whistling fists turns into a 9 hour corpse run that ended at 5am
    So Happy and Mashef like this.
  3. ForumBoss Augur

No thanks, some of us have a job and have to log out to sleep or go to work. I lost a corpse in the bottom of sebilis back in 2001 or whatever, that's enough for me.
  4. ShivanAngel Augur

people that want corpse runs back are the same people who put on nipple clips at night and smash their testicles with a rock cause its hardcore.
  5. code-zero Augur

I'm beginning to suspect that what they really want is to recreate some of the duping and other exploits that you could do when looting a corpse. I could be wrong and they may just be masochist but I don't personally know anyone who has a "funny" corpse retrieval story and longs for the "good old days"
  6. ShivanAngel Augur

All i remember is backup gear sets, long nights after a fuckup, or paying a necro and cleric aprox 1000plat total to get my corpse back. Or waiting 30 minutes at the entrance to insert PoP zone X here for my corpse to pop at the GY.

An early group wipe and corpse recovery could easily eat up an entire night of gaming if it happened early enough, or you knew the next time you logged on you were in for a unenjoyable session.
  7. code-zero Augur

As a Bard I made money dragging corpses back to their owner. I never felt that there was any sort of sense of community there. Just tired and stressed out people worried sick that they might have the corpse picked clean and be left with nothing after they'd consented for me to drag
  8. ShivanAngel Augur

They did away with the ability to loot other peoples corpses fairly early on iirc, dont think it made it past kunark...

I think a few to many of us have memories of losing gear to as noobies tho.

I remember on my rogue I lost a full suit of ringmail, a fine steel spear and a dwarven tunic a nice high level gave me to someone who said they would drag my corpse to the newbie lift for me.... turned me off the game for a couple of weeks.
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Ceffener Augur

The only time I remember is being a big deal was killing black reavers and getting a corpse stuck behind the locked door. But I also played a Cleric so the entire group was motivated for me to get to my body.
  10. ShivanAngel Augur

alright if the bard uses selos and runs down invis then doubles back and trains everything away while the monk drags a corpse to the entrance while the naked enchanter mezzes mobs off of him as the bard kites so he doesnt lose selo;s and FD doesnt fail at point X Y and Z as he sheds agro and the dragon is at the back of his lair we can get one corpse out... now we need to do that 6 times. Also the caster outside the room cant land a root or snare.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

He should be dragging at least 2 corpses each time. Round it to 1.5 because at least a portion of these fine EQ folks will not auto-consent dragging.
  12. ShivanAngel Augur

/corpsedrag wasnt a thing in classic! dragging 2 corpses was rly hard
  13. Trox2010 Augur

I always thought it stood for Corpse Run.
  14. Lateryn Augur

Corpse runs. Only the complete asinine want to do those again.
  15. Elyani Augur

I never knew there was any duping with CR. I like the nostalgia of it. It's one of those things I actually miss. (I miss old Bazaar, CR, Boat travel, all the old school stuff really)... but that said, do I actually want CR? Yes and no. Like I said, it's all about the original feelings of this game. I hated to have to do a CR when I died solo'ing/boxing. But, it's still a fond memory. Aside from that, for the most part, CR's are still done, just differently. I mean, we still have to run back and get our corpse for a rez, we just don't lose our gear in the process. With /pickzone and instances, our corpses pop at the entrances, too. Making it easier.

There was the transition, with the zone that spawned corpses that rotted (can't recall the name of it). And then we got the ability to summon our corpses via vet aa.

But honestly, I want the old Bazaar back. Been saying this since they added the current one in. :)

However, I've known of plenty of exploits that allowed duping over the years not related to corpses at all. Duping happens. Sometimes people find out by accident (I did once and promptly reported it) and others find it in other ways. People don't always want things back because they can exploit it. I mean, ffs, we have tons of classic servers, hey, old school stuff that brings back memories.

Remember, these hardcore things that EQ had, spawned some of the most amazing videos/stories/songs ever in creation! The Burned Woods, CCH, Fancy the Famous Bard, Skater Gnome, Has Anybody Seen My Corpse? and so much more.

P.S. If you have not heard/seen all of these, you need to google them because you're missing out.
  16. Lateryn Augur

Jesus christ you need a bigger font, I shouldn't need a magnifying glass to read your post.
  17. Elyani Augur

My crap is messed up! It shows it larger than default font for me. Not sure why!!!

[IMG]
  18. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I'm pretty indifferent to adding corpse runs back to a "hardcore" TLP server, but I do think a lot of folks are missing or are at least forgetting to mention one of the main effects of having the mechanic in play. It's not so much that retrieving your deep dungeon corpse while mostly naked at 3 a.m. is "fun" in itself; it's the overall sense of danger that the possibility creates for the game as a whole. With CR's in play, if you know you're playing in an area that is difficult to return to, a wise player will be a bit more cautious pulling that tricky split room, or a bit more conservative when deciding whether or not to pull a named that is questionably too difficult for the group. As the game is currently without CR's, the overall attitude even in pickup groups when dungeon crawling is basically "well let's just try it, worst case scenario we die, oh well." To some folks that attitude is not really very classic EQ-like, and it cheapens the experience a bit. The game was created with an air of danger lurking around every corner, and the lack of worrying about recovering your corpse does reduce that experience a bit.
  19. code-zero Augur

I can't recall ever being in a group where the other players actually said, "Oh let's just go ahead on we can always rez in the guild lobby if it goes badly"

I've never seen that even once. Playing a bard I'm almost always pulling and despite knowing that I'm likely to die at some point I have never myself done risky things because "I'll get a rez"

For example, if your entire group dies in someplace like the backside of RSS you're basically done if you don't have a fellowship campfire to port back to. Your gaming is done for the night even after you summon your corpse and rez
  20. Mazikeel Darkangel Journeyman

Bringing back corpse retrieval would be nostalgic I guess. It's not a make or break deal for me. Now if they did away with instances on Mangler that would be a deal breaker for me. But that's just my view. There will never be the perfect server for everyone.