How do I display timestamps in my chat windows?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by moogs, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeladom Augur

2. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

You are a coward. Trying to start a new profile to try and anonymously shame somebody. Way to be an Internet bully.

She hasn't updated her Magelo since last April and DBG does not share your concern about how she plays the game. When/if she notices you, she is going to chuckle at you and that's about it.
    ProgRambo likes this.
  3. Drogba Augur

Cheaters should be flayed in front of their families while people jeer and lob potatoes at them.
  4. moogs Augur

Only interested in having an option to display timestamps. Let's keep the discussion along those lines. Thank you.
  5. Brohg Augur

adding a feature like that would probably also include the option to automatically advance chat windows by a line every tick, or minute, or something? That'd be nice.
  6. gotwar Gotcharms

Timestamps available within the UI would be a fantastic addition.
    Nandary Griefs likes this.
  7. Hellboy007 Augur

with this

[IMG]
    Drogba and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. Hellboy007 Augur

/shrug more likely that other software was just turned off:)
  9. moogs Augur

Thanks. I was not aware of this. It looks as though this is the only thing that the add-on is designed to do; if this is the case, it's perfectly allowable under all circumstances.
    Nandary Griefs and ProgRambo like this.
  10. moogs Augur

Well, this is copied from the Information screen during setup.

EQAddons: bringing modern MMO addons to EverQuest.

We're releasing many addons this year, so be sure to check back often.
    For now try out our timestamp and autologin addons.

EQA_TimeStamp adds [xx:xx:xx] to your chat.

EQA_AutoLogin allows you to create launch profiles for each character, or group of characters, and log in automatically.

FAQ:
    Q: How do I use an addon?
    A: Just Start EQAddons.exe which should be in your everquest directory inside the folder named "Addons"
    You can start EQAddons.exe before everquest is running or while it's running.

Q: I'm in game and I don't see anything running.
    A: type /addon list to see a list of loaded addons.

Q: Are there any other commands?
    A: Certainly!
    /ts on - TURNS on timestamped chat
    /ts off - TURNS off timestamped chat
    /unload - completely unloads all eqaddons.
    /addon <addonname> - loads an addon.
    /addon <addonname> unload - unloads an addon.

Q: Any "hidden" features?
    A: There are a few, but it's stuff we are still working on like /switchchar for example. We'll announce more as we finish them.

Q: What about /addon help?
    A: This is an obvious place to start, but unfortunately it's not done yet.

Q: Is EQAddon some kind of active hack or cheat program?
    A: Absolutely not, we don't release addons that give players an unfair advantage. We look to legitimate addons from modern MMOs for inspiration,
    and we defer to community feedback.

Q: Is EQAddons approved for use by Daybreak?
    A: Not yet. EQAddons is currently in beta, but Daybreak's approval is our goal. We'd like to collect as much information as we can from the community beforehand.

Q: Can daybreak ban me or detect that I am using an addon?
    A: They absolutely can, because no addon contains any kind of code to circumvent any scans or hide itself from Daybreak.
    That having been said, we like to keep eqaddons as open and friendly as possible. We believe there's nothing wrong with timestamps!

Q: Why does eqaddons.exe need admin privileges?
    A: EQAddons are injected into the eq address space where they reside as .dll files. There's no way to do this without admin privileges.

Q: It's patchday and now eqaddons stopped working, bleh...
    A: For now you'll have to go to eqaddons.com and download the latest release. In the near future, we'll make this automatic.

Q: What other Addons are you working on?
    A: HA! We can assure you there are going to be some VERY cool addons released in the "not so distant" future, but for now we just want your feedback on timestamps and autologin.

Thanks for checking us out. If you feel at all uncomfortable or not at ease about this, then don't use the addons.
    Of course we'd like you to use them, because they are AWESOME but we're not going to force anyone :)

Best Regards,
    The EQAddons Team

EQ people, please give this a good thorough look. If everything is on the up and up, just stamp it with some basic approval and save us all some trouble. All set to close this thread.
    Nandary Griefs likes this.
  11. Nudia Augur

These look suspiciously like addons to another less accepted utility. I would be very, very skeptical using these; I wouldn't be surprised if they're using borrowed code.
    Reht and Sancus like this.
  12. Sancus Augur

Yeah, based on the FAQ (I'm not downloading it) that's exactly how said third party program works. Pretty sure it is just said third party program with features disabled, and as such will never be ok'd.

As a side note, that website is super sketchy. The twitter account was created yesterday and it has no other information on it other than a download link. It also has no mention in any google searches about it....
    gotwar, Felicite and Reht like this.
  13. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's pretty obvious what it is. It LOOKS benign... but you never know when the author just slips in a nice little dirty "Email your user/pass to author@gmail.com" routine and say good bye. Same with the less than benign versions of the software. It would be pretty easy for them to add a quick and dirty steal your info routine.
  14. moogs Augur

It looks benign. I downloaded and looked at what the installer did but do not plan to use it. I would prefer that DBG investigate what it actually does and tell us one way or another. I'm fine if they say they'll take a pass on okaying it; I would like for EQ to support this feature natively.
    Blart likes this.
  15. mackal Augur

I don't see anything like that reverse engineer it. (And I would probably be able to find something like that ;))
    Nandary Griefs and ProgRambo like this.
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I didn't say there was... I said it would be EASY for the author to do so at any time when it needs updating...
  17. Slippry Augur

Downloading random .exes that require admin access and promise to only inject themselves into a certain program/dlls sounds like an awesomely safe idea.

No matter what the file does, the only response from DBG you'll get is a nicer "YOU F-ING IDIOT, DON'T DO THAT!".
  18. Brohg Augur

lol, I don't even want to guess how many safeguards you'd have to click through to run it
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

Based on the descriptions: don´t.
  20. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It is, or was originally, a plugin/module for the Program-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named. Someone may have modified it or not, I don't know nor do I particularly care to know.

As far as it being acceptable or not, anything that modifies EQ, which this most certainly does, is a bannable offense and you're an idiot if you use it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.