How do I display timestamps in my chat windows?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by moogs, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackal Augur

Nandary Griefs likes this.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

3. mackal Augur

"the identifiers that begin with an underscore are reserved in the global namespace." -- that's what the C++ standard says about names that start with an underscore. (there is another case for _Uppercase) They define reserved to mean for usage by the standard library implementation, so this is allowed.
  4. Bigstomp Augur

So reserved for the standard library implementation... reserved to them. This function could be changed on a whim. Reserved. So you're using a non-exposed function. Subject to change fast and easy.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

My password and bank account are also fast an easy if I'm dumb enough to trust code like this.
    svann likes this.
  6. mackal Augur

No. Not at all. Like not even close. You can trust what this function does. This is a public function exposed as part of Microsoft's standard library.
  7. Drexlur New Member

ShowEQ does the same thing and I don't know that I would call that a perfectly acceptable outside program to use.
  8. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Do you know of a way to get item information from the game without using the methods that item collectors use?
  9. MrMajestykx Augur

LOL WAIT did you really mean to post that ??? your going to compare ShowEQ and Magelo? or Item Collector?? thats ALMOST as rich as comparing the prior injected code/software to gameparse
  10. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

They do the exact same thing: use non-DBG approved 3rd-party software to extract and display information that DBG does not give you access to. There is no question that they all violate the rules.

If you've ever used Zam or eqresource or magelo to look up information, you have benefited from 3rd-party software that was against the rules. We should stop pointing fingers and accept that "breaking the rules" isn't the whole issue. The real issue appears to be the (highly) variable and subjective judgements from the community on what is OK and what is not, and the absence of clarification from DBG.

DBG's silence on these very popular issues is enough for me to realize that DBG does not care about it. I recommend using DBG's actual history as a metric for what is OK, not the players on this message board.
    Nandary Griefs and Elvenphox like this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well there is always "screen-scraping":
    step 1: take screen-shot
    step 2: apply text-recognition on the image
    step 3: profit! :p

Probably the least efficient way of doing it, but it would be true "black-box", and most likely accepted by any purist.

For adding timestamps you could even try to digitally alter the screen-shot with insertion of "timestamp-images" in the chat area of the screen and present the altered image to the user.
    Technically it would give the correct output, maybe even possible in realtime...

note: in case you were wondering, I was not serious...:p

A just as usefull mod, would be to show an auto-updated /loc on the screen, instead of tapping a /loc macro manually... They did replace sense-heading with a realtime-compass ages ago, so I doubt DBG would be against it...
  12. MrMajestykx Augur

LOL K. i need to go wipe the tears from my face from laughing at this.
  13. MrMajestykx Augur

reading data and injecting and recoursing game data IN game are different animals , changing outcomes in the game, seeing things in maps spawns etc are a far cry from EASILY obtainiable information from ANY players such worn items or items in bags etc etc. Did you fall off your soap box and high horse today and forget your medication?
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Did you know that all three of your posts in this thread today have included "laughing out loud" at what somebody said or another wannabe insult? I think maybe you're the one who is having trouble being a contributing adult today.
  15. mackal Augur

The issue here is that people are saying EQAddons is bad because injection, but then all these other things aren't even though they also use injection. EQAddons won't let you do any of the bad things you say it will, unless of course DBG approves those addons ... but they won't. (or at least that's the idea from what I can tell)
  16. Drexlur New Member

Please don't take what I said as an attack on Allaz or Magelo. I wouldn't consider either program cheating nor would I suggest they need to take a different approach to item collecting. I was simply arguing that the measuring stick of some of the posters here on what is acceptable and not acceptable 3rd party software needs some adjustment. Most posters where agreeing that anything that changed the client was bad and needs to be banned while if it did its job with no change in the client, it was ok. Obviously this isn't the case as most people accept [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and WinEQ as acceptable and Showeq as not.

Frankly if you go by the literal interpretation of the EULA, then most of the programs mentioned in this thread are probably violations. Do I think anyone is going to get in trouble running the item collector or GINA? Absolutely not and I think most people would agree that those are acceptable 3rd party programs. In doing so however, we agree to more loose interpretation of the EULA and that leaves some grey area on what is acceptable and what isn't. Even if you use MrMajestiykx's standard above of "EASILY obtainiable information," you would still have difficulty as I wouldn't consider the information presented in the Raw Data section in Lucy as easily obtainable information in game or at least in comparison with the time stamp data presented by this add on which MrMajestiykx seems to take a stand against.
  17. Drexlur New Member

Unmentioned 3rd Party software is reference to I S boxer btw. DBG must not like it either!
  18. MrMajestykx Augur

That is because I ll be the first to ridicule stupidity. To compare the said products as I said, is ludicrous. Talk sense and I ll be sensible. Your comparison of such, like items or gameparse per say is like saying a movie critic is breaking the law for giving a review of a move to those who havent seen the movie.

Neither is done withing game and based on data that is readily available to anyone in log files, and in no means alters the face, the ui or the play within the game. Please continue.
  19. MrMajestykx Augur

You have me wrong sir. I have no issue with the addon, really never did take a stand against it. My stand as you will like to portray, is to compare an active program WITHIN the game to those that are not used IN the game itself, can run stand alone based on data within logs. Might wanna consider again what I said, my take on it is to compare the two is silly. Hell, the timestamp thing can be perfectly legal, have at it , time stamps for everyone, my problem was op comparing it to the others that again dont inject themselves into the game itself, and one person comparing ShowEQ to gameparse etc. I have nothing against the addon, what I do have a issue with is the comparisons being made.
  20. shiftie Augur

This thread is awesome
    PathToEternity and ProgRambo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.