How do i completely get rid of raid lag?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by sk8jack, Mar 27, 2024.

1. sk8jack Journeyman

Greetings, does anyone have a good work around for fixing raid lag?
    I have tried most of the suggestions posted online with regards to fixing raid lag, such as disable all unused audio triggers, excluding log files from window scan, having GINA auto archive log file periodically, disabled in-game journal, hide all players and pets, etc
    But still the lag issue will occur during raid at times.
    On some raid days the game runs absolutely fine, but some days I'll be getting the dreaded spell lock-up after casting a spell. which can last between a couple seconds to half a minute or so, and terrible lag overall such that the game is showing that the fight is still ongoing even when the raid event has obviously ended.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Disable virusscan for the whole eq folder not just the log file.
    Barton-Vox and Silvena like this.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

When you find out, let the rest of us know please.
    Hobs, Allayna, Duder and 6 others like this.
  4. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Play with logging off and use in game triggers instead of GINA. It may not fix all of it, but it will definitely make a difference.
    Annastasya likes this.
  5. Windance Augur

Is the lag specific to certain raids?

If so is it an event where multiple mobs spawn at the same time?
  6. sk8jack Journeyman

Yea i did set exclusion for the EverQuest folder as well, including gina.exe and eqlogparser.exe (not sure if that actually helps)
  7. sk8jack Journeyman

Could do that but i won't be able to parse unfortunately
  8. sk8jack Journeyman

It can occur with mostly single target events(eg. Dextrix from LS tier 1), as well as multi-target fights (eg. Shadow of my Shadow from LS tier 2)
  9. Tyranthraxus Grognard

My wifes PC runs the parse while I don't have logging on, ToV Orc boss last night, I can taunt and react in realtime. She watched the last 10% of the fight tick down after the boss was dead, and I'm still hearing half of discord complain about lag, that I don't have.

Playing on a potato with all graphics set to max btw.
  10. Razorfall Augur

A failing disk could also be the culprit, especially if you notice it gets better when turning off the log.
    Svann2 likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Also can hide any logging messages you don't need such as damage and casting messages related to other players
  12. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Archive/Delete your log daily - I use gina to do this but there are a number of other log management solutions. For YEARS I did this weekly on Fridays, but a few patches ago the logs exploded due to "some" change in the patch with messaging, that has forced pretty much everyone in my guild to switch to daily log management for improved performance.

Also, be ruthless:
    go into your chat options and hide everything, and see if it fixes it, My guess is if you truly hide everything but your own hits it will help significantly - then start backing things in and see what your tolerance is. Leave Others Hit Others off if you can - if you are lagging, then your parse will be more negatively impacted by parsing itself then by leaving this off imo.

Also see if you are lagging with /log off.
    If you truly have everything turned off and your log off, start looking at things like:
    1. Fresh reboots of your whole system including your internet receiver depending on type of internet you have, with a few minutes offline time to flush out any cache etc.
    2. What is your machine like? Is it a potato? Glorified calculator? 20 years old? Brand new? Do you have a mechanical drive or SSD?

From here, additional things to try:
    1. Disable large groups of triggers for old raids that you don't need. If whoever is making your triggers stinks at it or doesn't purposely optimize them, you could have some terrible triggers causing complete chaos on your system. I've had a very high success rate with fixing other people's !@#$ triggers using the reporting inside of gina but you have t o know what you are doing.
    2. In Windows defender, add an exclusion not just for Everquest and your logs, but ALSO for the gina directory - this will be buried in your Users folder somewhere.
    3. Validate game assets.
    4. Backup your ini files and allow the game to recreate them and set them back up again without copying/using backups directly - sometimes these ini files get corrupted.
    Windance likes this.
  13. Windance Augur

Do you always lag on the same fights?

Dextrix should be one of the more lag free fights, but, you'll still get a lag spike each time one of the raid mini's spawn. ~90% for engineer and ~68% for the 3x tower guys. After that it should be fairly smooth.

My first recommendation is to:
    - Disable all GINA triggers and only run with those you need.
    - Disable all chat filters you don't absolutely need.

Second is to look at your computer. If its more than about 5 years old consider adding a new solid state drive. NVMe drives have come a long way and are dirt cheap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Background info ....

Under normal raid conditions with chat filters set to only collect my data, I'll generate maybe ~10-30 lines of text per second. With the chat filters set to collect the entire raids data it can be 50x that.

Many people who have GINA lag also blindly accept all the triggers and have raids from years past they are no longer doing.

Each line of text is processed against each GINA trigger.

Doing some napkin math:

* a typical raid may have ~ 5-10 triggers, and ~9 raids/year say ~ 50 triggers active
    * chat filter set to only my stuff ~ 20 lines of text ---> 20x50 ~ 1000 triggers/sec

On the other hand ...
    * a typical raid ~ 5-10 triggers, and ~9 raids/year say x 5 years of trigger ~ 250 triggers
    * chat filter set to all raid spam ~50x20 lines of text ---> 50x20x250 ~ 250,000 triggers/sec
  14. Captain Video Augur

Also, do not run streaming services (e.g. Netflix) while raiding in EQ. HD streamers are notorious bandwidth eaters, and low available bandwidth can lead to more lag.

An exception would be if you are streaming Doctor Who, and the Doctor breaks the fourth wall and offers to transport you to a time when all lag issues are gone. There is a risk you might get transported to a raid full of Daleks and get yourself exterminated. But at least then you would have no more lag.
  15. Windance Augur

This is a really good comment.

I had a guild member complain about lag. Turns out his kids were sucking down all his bandwidth ...
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. keel Journeyman

hide players, minimum effects so you can still see auras, most importantly if you're not needing to parse go into your chat filters and anything damage or heal related switch to hide I can promise you a night and day difference.
  17. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Unfortunately, there are many chat options you cannot hide. The recent changes to chat filters seem to have made this much worse, as many of the new options seem to have added more choices which you cannot hide. In the past you could hide an entire group but now they are no longer combined but split into ones you cannot hide.

The change was a terrible decision seemingly made by someone who never plays EQ. I get the idea was a good one, but the implementation was not. Yes, adding more options are always a good thing but only if you give the players a way to opt out of it or otherwise hide them. To just give more options while removing the ability to hide text previously able to be hidden...well, enough said.
    Windance and keel like this.
  18. Conq Augur

This is a rule in our guild. Turn off Phub just while you raid. Then resume while we do loot. We are not barbarians.
    Conq
    alanus and Silvena like this.
  19. Silvena *poke*

He means uploading, though.
    Conq and alanus like this.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The below is expected to go to live servers on April 17:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...3-19-2024-patch-notes-and-discussions.296995/
    This should help a lot of the "freezing" experienced in raids, missions (can you say 25th anniversary mission Reflections of You mini dragon spawnings?), and regular play.
    Rijacki, Silvena and keel like this.