Fragment of Legendary Alaran History

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Toruch Fleshrot, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Thrillho Augur

I tried the Rebel Assault method and found it a bit too slow. I just killed in Sarith. Plenty of mobs to pull, and I only had to wait a few minutes at the end of each cycle before things started spawning again. I could wipe out nearly the entire above-water zone in 4-5 very large pulls. No zoning issues. Got to kill a bunch of named as well and picked up some spells to sell, in addition to all the usual TS / vendor fodder.

I don't think level of mobs gets taken into consideration for leveling the Tear, only xp / no xp. I think it's based on total kills, no?
  2. Cavall Journeyman

IIRC there was a dev post about the Tear a few years back, stating mob con does matter. The harder the con, the more credit it will give toward the Tear. Despite this, swarming lower con mobs will generally yield better results, and more chances for Fragments to drop.
    Thrillho likes this.
  3. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

This. Unless you zone slower than molasses, for a solo toon nothing can match the speed with which those things die. They’ve got like 1/10th the hp of normal mobs. Not to mention at level 100 (sans merc - it’ll leech exp) he’ll be getting a pretty decent amount of exp from kills. Every 5% is one less tablet needed, and it’ll move decently prior to hitting the teens, and sorta ok up until like 15 or 16/20.

Done it 3 separate times for solo toons, and this was the best way at the time, imo. Maybe now it’s faster to slaughter open world zones, but if so I would think one would want RoF instead of VOA for the higher drop rate.

But if you’re doing for a group or at least a few toons, the pillars tasks are nice for the guaranteed drop, too. 24+x tablets for a few hours of work is pretty efficient.
  4. Tucoh Augur

this.

I was able to kill the entire underground city in Shard's Landing before repop and the Pillar Quests are still faster.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Con of the mob matters. How many people are in your group matters. Actual xp received does not matter. This is why killing the very under-powered mobs in Rebel Assault is a good method. They con light blue at 100 or green at 105, but they die in a fraction of the time normal Alarans do. They award an extremely small amount of normal xp, but the only things the mask evolution takes into account are the con of the mobs killed and your group size. Also mass killing the first groups of Alarans in Rebel Assault will yield on average one Fragment every 4-5 missions, which if you're reasonably efficient is probably about one fragment every 20 minutes or so. That was my approximate rate as a level 100 ranger. I'm sure it can be even faster if you're a well equipped 105 that can just melt the mobs.

Zhaunil_AB and Fanra like this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've managed to track down the links behind what you have posted. The first link covers both the amount of xp needed per tear level and how much xp mob kills and Pillars tasks provide. The second link has the updated xp needed per tear level, as it was reduced to make completing this a little easier.
    Originally, the final Tear took 7,250,885 xp. After the change it is 2,500,140.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  7. Metanis Bad Company

I have leveled 4 tears at the Arena in Shard's Landing basically while watching TV. And the tradeskill drops sold for multiple millions of plat besides. It's not quick but it's lazy for sure. Use legal boxing software, create some good macros, stand in the middle, pull, kill, turn, repeat about 15,000 times. Fragment drop rate is 1.5% but the alaran kills will do the first few levels for you. I never kept track but I think it was about a month per toon. The hardest part was cleaning off the mule every few days.
  8. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

Do the gladiators or guards assist the souless attendees?
  9. Inga Elder

level 100 living alarans in Heart of Fear: The Threshold
    level 101 undead alarans in Heart of Fear: The Rebirth
    level 102 undead alarans in Heart of Fear: The Epicenter

Solo 1 white = Molo 2.6 dark blue = Molo 6.2 light blue for kill exp
    100 alarans in VoA = 67 alarans in RoF = 1 fragment drop (average)

If you hunt white alarans as solo in RoF, when you killed 1051, your Tear will become level 10 and you will have 15-16 fragments. When you killed 3015 white alarans in RoF, you have level 13 Tear with about 45 fragments.

Unfortunately, alarans in Evantil now use summon. I don't think HoF alarans do, but not sure about Threshold/Rebirth.

In The Threshold, they are scarce, but you will find more at north area. You have to move long path, so if living and undead are at the same place, hunting 1 type may change it when repop and become easier to pass later. Living alarans have chance to drop silks.

In The Rebirth, they are at southwest part, between hatchling area and south zone in.

In The Epicenter, there are plenty. At 102, you may had better ignore the 4-pack at the middle. There is a roamer near them, so mark it with Group Mark NPC and it will be much easier to avoid. If you choose the order to kill carefully, you can pull with minimal effort when repop. Velious Snowball from RoF T1 collection reward helps a bit until you get undead lull AA at 105.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Then I'm on a bad streak. No fragment in 240 kills :( Don't even need to box, works just fine molo. If you were boxing a whole group, I imagine you'd wipe out the room before repops started.
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Been bored, so went back to this today. 8 hours in Shards Landing + a single clear of Sariths before deciding that wasn't worthwhile. Not killing all the time. Just when breaks in work allow. 1243 mobs killed. 24 Fragments.
  12. Metanis Bad Company

Yes, but you can easily kill multiples. They aren't hard even at 100.
  13. Hickers Elder

I too found Shards Landing to be the best balance of mob density vs drop rate, moving constantly between the Arena and Silent Hall.

Obviously it depends on your kill rate (I was probably averaging between 250-300 kills an hour), but I set myself the target of 20 frags a session, and usually managed it after roughly 3 hours of play time. Did that 6 times over the course of a week to finish my tear, something I never thought I’d do.

RNG will play its usual tricks. Best I ever had was 7 frags in 10 mins, then sometimes 30-40 minutes without one. Only course is to just keep plugging away, you will hit your ‘lucky’ streaks eventually.
  14. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

After raids last night I loaded up the dot’box.s and hit SL. Someone was in the arena area so I hit the hall, and a couple other rooms. Two clears of them and I logged for the night but I got 2 tablets and a few % on the tear.

I want to get this done before the 12th simply because I fear at 110 the kill amount will need to be astronomical!
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I don't think that's how it works. I don't think the players level enters into the calculation.
    Metanis likes this.
  16. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Ive read the same stuff everyone else has and to me, I get the feeling “exp required” means you level the tear from exp the mob gives. Therefore if light blue mob gives me 10 exp points and a green ine gives me 5, I would need to kill more.

Example is on my Shaman I got him his tear when he was lvl 85 I think. His tear is lvl 7/20 today, my paladin was 105 when I got his tear, I have boxed them together and his tear is only at 4/20. So lower lvl was getting more exp per kill to lvl the tear faster.

I’d prefer to just kill a metric but load of mobs over needed exp to level the tear.

Again that is how ive seen this on my toons. Only have 10 fragments saved right now.
  17. Cavall Journeyman

It does. Up above is a quote from a dev's post explaining how mob con and number of people in group affect Tear experience. Being level 110 WILL cause alaran mobs to give less kill exp towards the Tear. The fragment drops should be your main focus anyway.
  18. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

I'm 99 atm. I may wait until I get my next pet because I'm not sure how my current one will hold up to more than 2 or 3 of the mobs in the arena, without a healer Merc.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, fair enough. The players level isn't directly part of the calc, but, being higher level, you get less XP for the mobs. But, you would hope to clear out the mobs quicker, being 5 levels higher, so it may all even out.
  20. ptah Augur

As a returning player this tear is on my list of things to do. Where on that list is in question. On paper im thinking for a 3 box team with different levels of tears, epiccenter would be best for my situation. More focus on pulling the most amount of mobs possibe within a given time. Choice to use suck dps merc to focus 99% on just pulling every mob possible. If I runout of mob before repop.. drop a merc etc. I understand using the mercs for passive dps adds to amount of needed mobs being killed. My outlook is AAxp is needed as well and stacking as many imagine needs into 1 bottle of adventure, just hope I dont burn myself out chasing to many tears of joy.