Everquest NTF ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fishlips_Jones, Jan 21, 2022.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yeah, the myopia is contagious. Or maybe viewing the ice shader for hours causes it.
  2. DaciksBB Augur

maybe some people have different tastes and find the concept of owning a jpg ridiculous?
    Xanathol likes this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Off topic: I think it was a missed opportunity, that winning missions in ToV + CoV didn't affect the animation in the ice shader. According to the lore it stops moving after you kill Vulak.
    They have done progression-affected shaders in Miragul's Nigthmare, why not in Velious too?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Exactly my point, MYOPIC.

If you think 'owning a .jpg' is the only way NFT does or can work, you're blind to a whole world going on around you.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

For anyone interested in a fascinating discussion about it.

6. zleski Augur

Let me rephrase: Stop burning down forests for your sh-ty database and pipe dream of TF2 hats and Fortnite dances in other games.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You clicked that post button too soon MO.

Watch the video above your post to debunk your myopic burning forest stupidity.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Another take on NFT's and play to earn.
    I think the trend with monetizing everything in gaming is a mistake, it doesn't improve the games at all...

Tbh, without knowing too much about NFT's I could see one use for it:
    You could have shared user-credentials across different systems, so that you don't have to keep track of 20 passwords. From a technical point it would be practical I think. Being distributed it might be trickier to abuse by governments and criminals, from a surveillance perspective. :confused:
  9. Zanarnar Augur

Xanathol and zleski like this.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

If you can't SEPARATE the BLOCKCHAIN SCAM part from the LEGITIMATE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY of the CONCEPT (that is happening all around you as we speak) I feel super sorry for you.
  11. Zanarnar Augur

#RemindME +3 years.

We'll see who is right, and who is poorer :)
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You're desiring to know who makes more money off digital art compared between whom?
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Just a quick reminder.

Anyone who has bought a MasterMagnus Robe from the marketplace has paid me real world dollars for a single digital image using a digital 'token' in Everquest. For years, I keep on getting checks to this day.

There is already NFT in EQ
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Ornaments should be drops from mobs imo.

NFT != RMT btw.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

What you are probably also unaware of:

-Those 'Tokens' are fungible. Some are given free, some were sold at a discount, some are $1=100. The player has no way of knowing the actual 'value' of a DPcoin. You buy something with your free tokens nobody gets any money no matter what you buy. You buy something with half off tokens, 50cents on the dollar are actually spent.

-DP takes out 'Costs' from the marketplace sale of any actual value. We (PS artists) don't know what all that involves, or how much they take out BEFORE the split.

-DP gets 60% after 'costs'

-Artist gets 40% remaining

Sure I get a check for a single image (actually it's two) I sold you in EQ (at least a portion of it maybe), using a token of unknown value.

DP definitely get an unknown amount of costs paid from the real value of any sale, AND 60% of the real value also.

This benefits the company more than me, hurts the game none, and I can't fathom how anyone can't see this is already NFT and it's not the devil, nor am I.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

To be pedantic: you forgot the "N" in "NFT". :p
    You also sold more than one robe, in fact everyone who wanted that robe had a chance to get it, isn't that better? :)

I don't mind DBG contracting third-party artists if they feel it will improve the game. This discussion isn't about how artists get paid or not.
    Im against "unique collectibles" in games.

I would also prefer that in game items could be gotten by in game means, buying in an online shop feels anticlimatic, make it a quest reward a player can chase instead.

Im actually wearing a player-studio robe atm, but it would have meant more to me, if I found it in game.
  17. DaciksBB Augur

This is like giving value to any cryptocurrency (or fiat currency for that matter). Especially these things that are literally digital only. The moment that people stop agreeing that they are worth anything, you're just left with an ugly digital image or some lame dance. They provide 0 real world benefit. Any random joe can save an imagine or screenshot it, paste the screen to paint, and crop the picture.

Honestly, if society were to ever collapse, I would rather have paper money than an NFT. At least you can burn money for a little warmth. Anyone who puts value to things like this is a fool.
    [IMG]

Arguing that in-game cosmetics are NFTs is kinda silly. NFTs are supposed to be scarce by nature no? Look at a game like Destiny; there are hundreds of things you can buy from that store, there is 0 scarcity. Anyone can buy anything. If everyone of the same class wanted to look the same, they could. Same with your robe example, anyone can buy those, there's not 2000 slightly different robes that only 1 person can purchase.

I will give that some companies have started selling in-game items as NFTs. I believe Ubisoft tried selling NFT rifle skins?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Actually it is. The whiners going on about burning forest for NFTs, watch the video by a well known 3d artist I posted.

But DaciksBB and your point are well taken beyond that.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

While you may have meant this in a kind way, this statement saddens me.

I shouldn't speak for all PS artists, but to my knowledge, it means more to every single one of us to see someone wearing a robe we made than any amount of money, because you CHOSE a piece of our art.

Any robe dropped in game was made by an artist too! They work on staff and get paid a flat amount for those, no matter how great they look compared to my hobbyist work.

I still don't see any harm in all our robes co-existing in the game as they currently do. And I don't see the problem with exclusive items as long as they're structured correctly to not harm a game.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im not talking about forests either, I just fail to see how the payment model for artists will require NFT-technology, and how it will make the game better for the player or the artist for that matter?

Lots of games are purchased on the premise that the development team are skilled artists(games are an artform after all), or that they hired someone famous for the soundtrack or actors for the cutscenes, etc...
    I don't mind artists getting "celebrity pay" if they are worth it.
    NFT technology is not required for that.

I would imagine that if EQ started an NFT business model, then you would get paid in "cryptocurrency of the week", rather than real money. Or maybe DBG would just pay you in dbc, hoping they could convince you that dbc would increase in value forever, so that you don't cash them in before the bubble bursts...

I don't think individual third party artists will get rich from whales with the NFT model. If the artist was worth that much, he wouldn't need NFT tech in the first place.

You misunderstood. I also see ornaments drop ingame, that I choose not to wear. The loot i wear is something I choose to wear. Im not saying random drops are more meaningful than stuff I buy.

Im saying that items I specifically chase is more meaningful to me, than stuff I can just buy.

I use my epic-ornament, because that quest was a good memory, I think all cool ornaments should be related to memorable encounters or quests.

Depending on how the ornament is acquired, it can mean something more than just looks.

The marketplace "cheapens" ornaments, imho.
    MasterMagnus likes this.