Everquest NTF ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fishlips_Jones, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Thats hardly a "win".
    If they wanted noteriety, they could replace the /pizza command with a /hooker command. :p

If I read about a game that one of the items was worth a lot of real money, then I would stay far away from that game. I think many of the gamers in everquests target audience feels the same way.
    NFT is not a popular concept among the majority of gamers afaik, but it is a fancy buzz-word that people with "get-rich-quick" schemes seems to push atm.
    Wdor, Skuz, code-zero and 1 other person like this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You're forgetting the $60,000 for adding a model, textures, and a database entry? And you aren't possibly undervaluing any kind of press EQ can get?

Yeah, I get it.

If you look at things like Fortnite, where someone like Rick Astley, is now making money off his song there, Epic games is making money off it, the animator who created the dance moves made money, some sound engineer made money editing down a loop-able clip, streamers are making money just playing the game.

There's a way to do this that isn't a scam, and people are making bank.

Is it 'NFT's? Maybe not, but it's a great door opening into whole new revenue streams for some folk I'm thinking.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Maybe Im just too old, but Fortnite is hard to take seriously as an unironic game-universe. It wouldn't fit into any game that took it's own lore seriously.

Not everything that makes money is good for a game.
    Wdor likes this.
  4. Astral64 Augur

5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Wow lack of vision bro. Besides being completely off topic and off base.

Have you ever read Stephen Kings "Dark Tower" series? A world were the boundaries between universes is 'thinning' and different realities cross-over?

Combine that with the whole point of Fortnite's world is to have Pop-Culture references, which sells to the kids, BILLIONS worth.

I love Everquest and I am closer to 60 than 50. If you can't see the brilliance of Fortnite, whether it is the type of game you would play or not, you're very short sighted.
    Jumbur likes this.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

At the point where EQ is making so much money it becomes bad for the game, we could maybe revisit the issue then?

This seems like another non-consideration for THIS game, in the state it is currently in.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Given that the subject of the thread is if Everquest should have NFT, I think it is a fair point.

Some things that might look like an extra source of income, can be detrimental to the game's long term health.

If there was a chance that a super rare NFT-item worth 10000$ could drop, how would that affect botting and cheating? How would it affect friendly sharing of camps? How would it affect the community? Would it be more toxic?

Right now, those are hypothetical questions, and I hope it stays that way. "Play to earn" can harm community driven games in a lot of ways.

We can already see how Kronos are affecting some of the servers...They are good for DBG's profits, but they come at a cost. :(
    Coagagin and Wdor like this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

First of all, point taken.

But come on, now you've created a whole new hypothetical that is clearly negative (by making a dropping item that is up for grabs).

So I stick by my initial construction, which is clearly positive for all parties.

OR, I offer this construction:
    What if you had a Kickstarter (or whatever) where people donated into a pot, KNOWING IN ADVANCE the rules. And the money went to making a unique wearable head item (Again I stake my claim to the idea of how great it would be to make a CROWN).

And again, 60% of the money goes to DP, 40% to the artist.

And everyone in the first guild to win the T3 event for that expansion gets a Gold Crown. Everyone who donated more than $x gets a Silver Crown.

*edit*
    This should not be construed as me supporting or even believing in 'the race'. But just an idea.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Everquest needs less competition, not more competition imo. I don't really fancy high-stakes competition or E-sports. but that is just my personal preference.

As for your suggestion, I don't like unique items in games, we already had unique items for some of the PVP-competitions years ago, they didn't really added anything to the game imo.

As for the creative artists, I have no problem with the old player-studio setup, that was a cool idea. :cool:

If DBG wants more money they can improve the game and make expansions that attract more players. Relying on kickstarters is not the way to go.
    Wdor, Ozon and MasterMagnus like this.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I really am trying to shut up here. but

Just one more thing I like about Fortnite.

There aren't unique items per se. There are items from 'seasons' you get for just playing, but if you didn't play back then you can't get it now. Extra styles you unlock with playing. And items you can straight up buy.

So when you see someone with that thing, you know they're old school. A context that works in EQ.

My thing is my unique combination/outfit. I like to take the latest thing you have to play to unlock, combine with an old school thing that's rare, and all color match or theme or whatever to look cool. They have character, back item, hand item, emotes (dances and music), glider, 'contrail', camo/wraps for weapons and vehicles.

Just like the free DPc each month, when they give you things free, and have things to buy, it engages people.
    Jumbur likes this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I guess my problem with that approach is that it relies on artificial scarcity(which is related to NFTs).

Everquest is about loot acquisition(among other things), you see something in game and you work towards it as a goal. NFTs and seasonal items goes against that concept. Everything seen in game should imo be attainable with enough effort.
    Finding out that there is a cool item you want, but are to late to get, should not be a concern in a game.
    FOMO is a negative aspect.

If you want to look unique, you can still do combinations you like, but others shouldn't be restricted from inspiration or imitation. Uniqueness should come from the choices you make, not from which options others don't have.
    Wdor, Svann2 and MasterMagnus like this.
  12. Angahran Augur

Everquest does not need any more "I have more real life money than you so I can have more 'shiny things' than you!"

If you really want to show off your bank balance go buy a sports car or a yacht.
    Wdor, Skuz and Jumbur like this.
  13. Triconix Augur

Fortnite is trash. So is PTE and NFTs

Sincerely,

A millennial

P.S. EQ had rewards for being the first to kill things without needing to pay them extra money. All those server first titles for beating X expansion first. How about the Epic Request wall of fame on each server?
    Wdor, DaciksBB and Nennius like this.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

QFT

Anyone with an internet connection can google "Whales, and how they ruin games not originally designed to pander to them"
    Wdor likes this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Is there a way to look up Server First titles?
  17. Triconix Augur

Nennius likes this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Triconix likes this.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

Or even better. We could keep paying them money, and they keep trying to make a game that entertains us.
    They get money, we get enjoyment, and nobody has to worry about some notoriety thing that the game they play did for a gimmick.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I do believe this was answered elsewhere by the Devs with a much welcomed, No.
    zleski likes this.