Everquest NTF ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fishlips_Jones, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Fishlips_Jones Journeyman

Any chance Everquest will move into the play to earn (pte) environment, or create NTFs?
  2. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

NFT?

NFC
    Xanathol and Tatanka like this.
  3. Riou EQResource

NFTs are pretty much a scam that also harm the world, hopefully they never do
    Keeden, Skuz, Xanathol and 11 others like this.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

100%
    Konami recently made $162,000.

The NFT with the highest sale price was an artwork based on the Dracula’s Castle map from the original Castlevania game, which sold for $26,538.96.
    Another NFT in the form of a 3-minute highlights video edited from various Castlevania gameplay, was sold for $17,518. An artwork of popular series entry Circle of the Moon also sold for over $17,000.
    As part of the sales, Konami says that those who purchase the NFTs will have their desired nickname listed on its NFT website for ten months.
    OpenSea takes 2.5% commission from every transaction on its site, which means that Konami could have earned over $157,000 from the auction.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/konamis-debut-nft-auction-earned-over-162000/
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

"Play to earn" is what brought us goldfarmers and RMT.
    I hope DBG focuses on "play for fun". :)

I don't think NFT is good for the gaming environment tbh.
    LadyKagan, Bullwyf, Wdor and 2 others like this.
  6. Fenthen aka Rath

At this point if there were stocks I'd be heavy into shorting them.
  7. Khat_Nip Meow

Timely: "NFTs remain a contentious topic for developers, according to the State of the Game Industry survey, with a majority claiming their companies aren't interested at all."
    Coagagin, Nennius and minimind like this.
  8. zleski Augur

No, stop burning down forests for JPEGs.
    Wdor, Skuz, Ozon and 2 others like this.
  9. Treage_Imminent Elder

It's the modern generation's ponzi scheme, and I will have no part in it.
    Wdor, Skuz, Xhartor and 2 others like this.
  10. Coagagin Guild house cat

Ever wonder why the "author(s)" were so secretive about the release of Bitcoin in the first place? Security people have long suspected this is nothing more than an elaborate criminal hoax as nothing else about it makes sense.
    Wdor likes this.
  11. Angahran Augur

"play to earn" ? It's a game! If you want to earn something get a job.
    Triconix and zleski like this.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You mean like earning millions of dollars streaming yourself playing a game, as an 'influencer'?

Because of course, winning $5 million as a 15 year old, in a competitive game championship isn't a job, but Influencer?

Wow I'm getting old.
    Coagagin and Nennius like this.
  14. DaciksBB Augur

who would even want that junk
    Wdor, Coagagin and Nennius like this.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

But on topic.

Are we talking Non-Fungal-Tunics?
    Or Non-Tunic-Fungi?
    Mesc, Nennius and Svann2 like this.
  16. Clerical Error New Member

NFT's would only be good for tracking assets you plan to be able to move between companies.

Like if you bought the right to emote 'The Carlton' or some other copyrighted dance move, and wanted a system to make it portable not just between games, but between game companies.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

What does that even mean?
    I know what an NFT means but how would that apply to EQ? Wallpaper for your desktop? Im starting to think its just something used to trigger people.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

What if I sold you a robe that only one character can ever have on any server (no trade)?
    Or a one-of-a-kind crown?
    or or or
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

If they wanted to sell a unique item they could do that without NFT.
    Skuz and Wdor like this.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Well of course.

I'm not advocating or against, just saying, in theory.

An NFT could involve a person who is not just a whale but a celebrity of some sort. Who contracts an artist, such as myself, to create a model and textures for a one-of-a-kind item in-game, that represents them distinctively. The artist presents it to DP for incorporation into the game, and they get their cut. Much like the Player Studio program always worked.

Now if this was say $100,000 for a custom designed crown, and like the Player Studio contract I already have, DarkPaw gets $60,000. I get $40,000. I tip Ngreth $1,000 for doing me a solid. (oops did I say that out loud?)

It's a win win win win. Celebrity gets cool thing and probably free press about the whole thing, and brand name recognition when in game. I gets money. DP gets money. The game gets notoriety for a 21st century thing they did.