Epic Quests Don't Allow Turn In

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by narksar, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

These changes are being made for the experience on TLP servers, not Live servers. And before you say it, they don't want to maintain separate code bases for them, and that's wise with their limited resources.

Beyond that, while this may be important to you, it's very low on the list things most players would worry about. That defiant gear and the other things on Live mean you can be well over 50 in a few days, making this issue moot. Sorry, that's just the reality of it.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. narksar Augur

Its likely one or so freaking lines of code that needs to be changed per epic.

Change this:

Code:
    If (turn_in_player_level <= 35)
    {
    refuse_turn_in = 1
    }

Into this:
    Code:
    If (turn_in_player_level <= 0)
    {
    refuse_turn_in = 1
    }

Or, if you're concerned about servers you could change it to:

Code:
    If (turn_in_player_level < 0  && is_current_server_type_standard == 1)
    {
    refuse_turn_in = 0
    else
    {
    refuse_turn_in = 1
    }
    }

Its not a huge task.
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

On March 7th you posted this thread, it is now April 7th. How are you not high enough level to turn in this quest yet?

I was trying to be nice, but I don't think you get it. In the list of nothing burgers that this request is, this is the lowest of the nothing burgers. They wanted this change to go on TLP's, and they don't want to maintain separate code-bases for live and TLP's. It takes very little time to level to 50 on a live server, and less than that when you use a Heroic upgrade. There is literally no reason they should make this exception for live.

But let's say they wanted to. Sure, your example setting is very simple. But you really don't know what processes the server is doing when somebody does a quest hand in. What variables it has easily at hand and so forth. It's probably not hard at that level to do it, but then they have to maintain an additional setting for each server and ensure it's right each time. Somebody has to decide which servers get it and which don't. When TLP's become Live servers, somebody has to change it or people will come on here and call them stupid for messing it up. We all know that stuff happens. That is why they don't want to go down the road of separate code-bases. This time it may be easy, but once the precedent is set, people will ask for more, and then you have to maintain more and it snowballs.

Long story short, if you want the epic, turn on a tank merc, go hit some zones. Group with some higher levels for a bit and it goes even faster. This is not important enough for them to put in the work instead of you putting in the work.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. narksar Augur

There are specific changes to the game that exist based upon the given expansion that is released without having different code bases, so they do have the ability to handle it, they could make it part of the PoP expansion or something like that, that is, if they just *had* to keep this level restriction for TLPs. Not to mention, as I've referenced, originally, there appeared to be no level requirement for epic turn ins when epics first came out and now there appears to be. Confirming that they already bothered to expend resources on this "nothing burger" by messing with stuff, I'm only seeking for them to reverse it.

The issue is not addressed by whether I level up my cleric or not. This issue still exists. If it has ceased to impact one of my chars at this time or whether it continues to do so is not material to the existence of the issue.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I really don't see what the problem is, yes you can start it before level 46/51 but you cannot complete it until you reach that level.

Some epics are long and involved with NPCs which spawn every 72 hours, this gives you more time to catch them up and get to the stage where you can get your epic at the correct level.

It is nice to get pieces of epics as you go along, if they make any to being able to start it at a lower level they need to remove the ability for epic pieces to looted before level 46/51 to keep it fair for all classes.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Why would they expend resources to reverse a change they just made intentionally? Just because you could do it before doesn't mean they want to guarantee that you can do it now. Epic's weren't designed for low level characters, the fact that you could still get them at low level sometimes doesn't mean it was intended or endorsed.

Actually, that would address it, because the only person actually complaining about the issue would no longer have it, and we'd never have to hear about it again. This isn't personal, I just think you are way too attached to something that doesn't actually matter. You've even said so yourself, you have better gear and can't use the click yet, this would benefit you zero to have it now as opposed to later.

But you should be happy, the hardest part of getting an epic, the actual quest, is done. Yay! Now all you have to do is level up and turn it in.
  7. narksar Augur

Nor were people intended to kill Kerafyrm. Nor were people intended to kill Nagafen the first time he was killed. Why would they change it back? Because I'm arguing they made the wrong decision to change it in the first place. Not to mention, a key issue I pointed out was nothing indicated in the quest itself what level I had to be to complete the epic AND the near final turn in mob ate one of my quest items because of my level! Removing level limits for the quest was a secondary request/goal but also would have totally fixed both of those issues more easily than meticulously modifying the epic quests to account for low level turn ins that should be advised or otherwise rejected.

Right, because everyone who has an issue with something will always rush to the forums and complain? Certainly you know that not be to true. And, yes, you are getting personal. Its like you're taking personal offense to me seeking to get some things fixed/addressed and you're obsessing over me as if you want me to stop talking/complaining. If you don't want to "hear it anymore" then stop reading my posts. Its like you've shifted your entire concern to your own personal emotions of being aggravated at me instead of focusing on the actual programmed issue in the game. I really hope you're not a dev masquerading as a common player because if you can't separate your emotions such that you can actually do your job, that would be problematic. If you are secretly a dev, then you need to get over yourself and your emotional objections to things that require that you do work. You don't know what level my cleric is now. He could still be 24, he could not be. I could have completed the epic, I could not have. Its not material and, at this time, I'm not going to tell you. The issues I originally presented still exist.
  8. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Eating the item is unfortunate, and I know that can be petitioned, but they don't always give stuff back in these cases. If nothing else, I'd say that's a bigger issue than being able to complete a quest for an item you don't need yet at a low level.

As for why they would change this back, you are arguing it, but haven't really made an argument that would be convincing. As I pointed out in my last post, you can't click it yet, and you have better gear for that slot. You are making the counter argument better than the actual argument.

I'm sorry you lost your item, no snark, that sucks. But this is a good change for the TLP's and IMO doesn't matter for those on live servers. People do go back and do their epics on live, but generally at a level where they can achieve it which is much higher than when people used to do them in era. Or they do the 1.5 and skip it on the way to a later epic. It's just not an issue very many people would run into.

Of course the forum posts aren't proportional to how many people are affected. I don't disagree with that, but you also aren't getting much support in your request from other posters. As somebody who is here pretty frequently, if others supported this they would chime in.

And it really isn't personal, i argue with a lot of people here on the forums, because I care about the game and how the devs spend their time on it. I'm not a dev or employee of DPG/DBG, just a guy who likes to argue sometimes.

I like this change, I'm sorry it cost you an item, I don't think they should reverse it, but I would support you getting your item back. That's where I stand, and why I'm making this argument here on the forums, against you or anybody else who held an opposing viewpoint.
  9. narksar Augur

We don't need item ornamentation or special looking armor either, do we? Yet we literally pay Daybreak real money for it. Where's your objection to that existing?

If they would simply remove the level limits that they ended up imposing this entire issue would disappear.

My actual response from a GM:

"It looks like you're way too low to receive your epic weapon at that level. Please gain more levels before attempting this event again."

When I continued to object, I got this resposne:

"It would make anyone's under leveled character able to be over powered if it was lowered any further, which is probably why it's where it's at currently. "

Which is why I'm stressing that if I can already max my stats with Defiant gear, its not OP.

I was also told:

"I'm assuming you're attempting to multi-quest this due to your level or receive help from others, which is fine but please be advised that all multi-questing strategies are not the way the game was intended. It is not against the rules for players to attempt to do this, however it is at your own risk as no item reimbursement will be available from Customer Support should something go awry."

I didn't multi-quest it. It wasn't a multi-quested item that got eaten. So maybe you can tell me how many times I'm supposed to object and complain before I should just give up because it seems like its quite a task to reverse an issue they already know exists. The GM didn't just make this stuff up on the fly. They've obviously dealt with this stuff before and its obviously a pre-existing and known issue. If they removed non-original level requirements all this would be solved.

Not to mention, what kind of sick twisted, anti-customer service tripe is this?! "We think you didn't adhere to our secret and otherwise non-communicated secret programming, therefor you deserve to lose out on your epic because you used Multi-questing, that, if you knew of our super secret programming, you wouldn't have even tried"? I didn't use multi-questing, but even if I did, what kind of sick sadistic con-game is this?!

It reminds me of this poster:

[IMG]

I think the argument is simple. Its not necessary, causes more problems than it fixes, and its easier to remove the level requirement than going through and altering each epic quest to address level limits either in text or practice to avoid people being disappointed when they can't complete their epic or when their quest items have been eaten because they aren't a sufficient level. Not to mention, I don't see there having been any valid reason for adding the level requirement in the first place. Let people play as they want. Its harder to do an epic at a lower level, why begrudge people (except out of jealousy) for rising to a challenge at a level that you arbitrarily think is "too low"?

Running into an issue can have several components. If you are aware of it, you put it off. If you don't put it off and discover it, you might just give up and not bother to pursue it and just accept the limitation. I choose not to accept an otherwise unnecessary limitation. You have yet to give a good reason why people shouldn't be able to do it on TLPs. It doesn't hurt anyone if someone does. I can only think its a matter of jealousy or something. It doesn't hurt anyone if a level 1 paladin with an epic is running around the new weird Freeport.

I don't always chime in when I support things in this forum. I will if I think I have something to add, but why should I have to "show support"? If someone is right, there is an issue, then there's an issue. I don't necessarily need to "confirm" there's an issue. If Daybreak doesn't care about a real issue, then they don't care about a real issue, that's on them, not me.

Says the guy who said the following:

and

So, yeah, you made it personal or at least you certainly tried.

You do realize it'd probably be more work to fix all the epics to adequately warn people or to have to always return items to people when it goes wrong than to simply end the level limit, right? My solution is the easiest and most effective solution; end the level test for the turn ins. You still have yet to say why you like the change. Either that or its been buried in all of it and I just forgot, and no, I'm not going to go back through and read it all again.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You really have got a bee in your bonnet about this, seriously this is by far a bigger "you problem" than it is a "game problem", level up & the problem vanishes, you are making it out to be a far bigger deal than it is in reality due to some weird quirk of your personality or something, are you this pedantic & perfectionist about other things? Might want to get an assessment.

The Quests are all for level 46+ players regardless of how early some of them can be completed, just accept this & move on rather than constantly circling the drain about it working yourself up into a tiswas over it.

And for goodness sake stop obsessing about what Defiant gear does or doesn't do, that gear was not in the game until years after the epics were introduced, their relevance is ZERO.

11. narksar Augur

The problem doesn't vanish, it continues to exist in the programming, if I were to level up and get the epic. It could affect other people or even other chars I create. That's how programming works. That's also how reality works. If a tree falls in the forest and no one's around to hear it, does it make a sound? Yes it does. Deal with it.

The quests are not specified (in game) as 46+ and were previously able to be completed at any level. Not to mention the GM I spoke to said I should actually be able to complete the Cleric Epic at level 34, proving you are wrong. Just accept this rather than constantly circling the drain about it working yourself up into a tizzy over it.

Defiant gear is significant because, as I quoted (if you had read my posts) the GM's perspective was that an epic at low levels was "Overpowered", but the existence of defiant armor demonstrates that epics are NOT overpowered when compared, so it is relevant. Not to mention, it proves that the Devs aren't worried about giving people great gear at low levels.

Perhaps the bigger problem is not me, but you. Why are YOU so upset over me posting about this? See, if you went to get an assessment, they would focus on why you are so obsessed with me and my post(s).
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It was overpowered to allow it on TLP's, so they changed it. They've been making other helpful adjustments to epic quests to reduce bottlenecks on TLP's, but also removing some of the shortcuts and other things people liked, it's a balanced approach. They aren't going to maintain two code-bases for TLP's and Live. This has all been explained, you just don't like it, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

If you want them to consider changing this you need to get people to like your first post, that is the rule of the Bug Report forum. Since we are a month into this thread and on page two, and you have no likes yet, I don't think they are going to consider it very important.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

OP is not happy with many mechanics of this game and has posted nothing but complaints since Feb when he apparently returned.

I am sorry to see so much of his time taken up with argumentative posts which are not going to change anything. He could use the work arounds suggested by many of us, but if he chooses not to that is his choice.
    Skuz and Niskin like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It's definitely you but I will just put you on ignore, I maybe tried to save you from beating your own skull into a brick wall, in vain I guess.
    Try and enjoy the game instead of obsessively nit-picking over every minor detail.
    Have a nice day.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  15. narksar Augur

Actually, all you did was waste your own time and mine. Congratulations!
  16. narksar Augur

Right, because everyone should sit around and be silent and accept everything. And, actually, I've referenced several bugs. Not to mention, you keep ignoring that the base of this post is that all I wanted was for the quests to be fixed such that they adequately advise people of the relevant level limits. But I guess it isn't as much fun for you to focus on that reality, is it?
  17. narksar Augur

The very premise of the TLPs is to relive the progression and some of the original aspects of the game. Since there was no level limit for epics when they came out, to add such would contradict that premise. And, yes, I know they've fixed bugs that hurt people, but that wasn't a bug, nor did it hurt people.

Getting people to like my post is not a rule to have a proclaimed bug considered, at least as far as I've read anywhere. It seems like you're just making up your own arbitrary rules.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

20. narksar Augur