Enchanter Charming

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Kaelah, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Penguis New Member

I'd actually advise temporarily skipping AA xp until 100 - when you can do Grelleth. None of the other RoF zones provide dual wield mobs as far as I know. It's a huge difference in xp rate over any other zone.
    It's pitiful that this is the case, but it is what it is. Devs screwed up this expansion for charming, IMO.
    silku likes this.
  2. Haegar Augur

Don´t make me laugh. The spot he is in beats Grelleth EXP about 3 times...
    You need a merc to keep your pet alive and the kills come way to slow...
  3. silku Augur

Hrm I kill mobs in grelleth in one cycle of dots, with group gear. Your exp may vary but I think that's quite the pace for aa gains. I also solo (no merc) in Shard's landing and in several other t1 zones with decent exp returns. We will never rival a necro or mage in that aspect, but we do much better than before 99 when we can't charm that high.
  4. Haegar Augur

In Grelleth ? You solo there and don´t use up your mana ?
    And since i never use dots i would like to know how long that "dot circle" actually takes.
  5. silku Augur

Well I do use up my mana, usually my bar empties about the time mana draw is ready to go again. When I am soloing/moloing I use the robe click and second spire each time it's up. Rarely do I stop to med, but occasionally. With ooc regen, it's back fast enough and can put a pet on ice with mez long enough to med to full. Like I said though rarely do I ever need to stop.

I'll have to time exactly how long, but I'd say around a min+ for the full duration to start falling off and usually by then it's almost dead. I also weave in nuke + single target stun + nuke + single starget stun while the dots are running. That allows my merc to keep the pet 'up' so that I don't have to stop so often to let it heal. I still have to stop occasionally for that, but I don't find the exp to be any slower than before, maybe even a little faster due to the level of the mobs and the zone exp modifers etc.
  6. Haegar Augur

So about 1 min per kill and you need a merc up.

In Beasts domain, he can also kill 1 thing per minute and does not need a merc. Plus, the higher mob lvl EXP does not gain any advantage, because AA EXP is calculated regarding your lvl versus mob lvl. So yes, your prey is higher lvl, but you are also lvl 100.
    Kaleah is lvl 98 (i hope he stayed there) and thus will get AA EXP at the same rate. Just double, for no merc...
  7. silku Augur

You're saying that at level 100 vs a level 100 mob.. I get less AA per kill than someone at level 98 fighting a level 90ish mob? I'm not seeing that in my personal experience but I'll have to do some testing. That doesn't sound right to me.
  8. Filatal Augur

I have a spot in Grellth's I solo, some rooms where no names spawn. I take down about 12-14 mobs with charm per respawn. Only time I stop is to blur-heal my pet ( too lazy to re-equip a new pet ). No merc.

So, you believe a level 65 killing a level 65 mob gets the same amount of AAXP as a level 100 killing a level 100 mob? I am highly skeptical based on my experience.
    silku likes this.
  9. Haegar Augur

I never said that. But the gap is smaller than you would expect.
    In my experience you lose about 2% AA for each lvl you gain, while your prey stays the same. Of course you can change to higher lvl areas, but i found it better to stick to my lvl once i found a new sweet spot.
  10. Mykaylla Augur

Now is probably the best time- revamped Cazic-Thule is up, so you can get Lost Boots of the Mosquito with hopefully a better spawn rate than the regular mosquito.
  11. Mykaylla Augur

There is a way around this if you have a house- you can store temporary items in your house and they don't poof when you log off for the night.
  12. Penguis New Member

In Grelleth I never use a merc, and xp is better than Feerrot was for me at it's best (level 87 while hot zone). Feerrot was better than using Grigano on SHIP, even though I never thought I'd see the day when I beat that xp rate. Xp is much better than Shards ever was for me.
    If you're curious...
    I'm all group gear and maxed all nuke and dot aas, and the durus and whatever faycite stuff from Shards Landing vendor equipped. Of course the standard Fear touched bracelet equipped for nuke boost. Basic steps I take are equip pet with mage weapons and mage haste mask, then tash an opponent, mind squall, then chain Mindcleave/Phantasmal assault/Chromaclash until the mob is dead. If it looks like my pet won't do well, I'll slow and use spin stun as needed, or if things are desperate and close I'll tank for my pet with phantasmal unity. I prefer to mega-nuke over slowing or stunning (as much as possible) since it obviously reduces the damage my pet takes - the sooner my gets low hps the sooner I can kill him for xp. I almost always kill two mobs, then kill pet. When killing pet I'll usually cast chaotic confounding, followed by mindcleave. That's usually enough to blast through 7% hps left. About 2/3 of the time I'll need to recast phantasmal unity after killing pet - I *always* have it up without exception.
    I use second spire and robe click every time they are available, and mana aura, and of course always have up mana reverberation aura and recast it as soon as it's down. I'll do a 30 min lotd this way with one mana draw and one use of the aa mana crystal from inventory, and no medding or breaks in killing. I use improved twincast and calculated insanity once during lotd, but it's not necessary. Edict of command is another not necessary thing, which I quite like these days, since it lets me charm one white mob during lotd when blues are in short supply - I don't want to waste time looking around the zone for something charmable. Oh and I never charm animals, since if I recall correctly they don't dual wield. Scouts or (blue con) palace guards are my preferred choice, or beastcaller type pig-men if my preferred mobs aren't quite close by.
  13. Haegar Augur

I would agree on the "kill pet" thing, if it was not for the fact that half of the time i try to charm anything in grelleth, it tells me: Nope, cant charm that...
    How do you work around it ?
  14. silku Augur

I have ran across very little in grelleth that you can't charm.. are you trying to charm the NPC's at the zone in? Find a pig, charm it. (Unless you are under the 99 level charm?) If you are 100 it has to be a blue for you to charm it, so look for those.
  15. Haegar Augur

Thats what i do. If i try it on a pig scout, its no problem. Any other name tells me: Forget it...
  16. Sancho Elder

Can any of you guys help me out with swarm charming? This is what I do now:

Step 1: Charm mob, send it to attack other mobs.
    Step 2: Get 5 mobs + pet (6 total) into a crowd.
    Step 3: Wait until pet is about 1/2 bubble from death and hit invis to break charm.
    Step 4: Cast BDB on the incoming mobs.
    Step 5: Charm new pet, kill old pet first thing. Send pet to attack another mob to get up to 6 (if you can).
    Step 6: Repeat step 2-6.

I rely heavily on BB BDB, Forceful Banishment, all the defensives.

I'm getting a lot better at controlling 6 mobs at a time and am wondering how you pros go above and beyond that for really good exp. Also looking for feedback on a possibly easier way to do this. I had to teach myself.
  17. Sancho Elder

Oops meant cast BB in step 4, not BDB
  18. Frammish New Member

swarm kiting the simpler you keep it the easier currently my fav spot is in shadow killing the constructs. tag first wanted pet with tash at range and root it then charm it, tag another with tash and pull it through pet with attack on, root it , tag next , pull through your pet, root it, keep pulling into the swarm non stop , break charm at 10%ish charm next and continue on till no mobs left around. the swarms are at most times 4-7 mobs at any givin moment. no need to kill those mobs that are under 10% they are your dps on your intended kill and will die when your current pet decides that it wants to hit it due to proximity irregaurdless of the mob you told it to attack. when not pulling stand at BDB distance from swarm. if/when you see a root wore off mssg re-root all as best you can without loose'n your pet to the swarm. I clear every construct and half the undead before respawns happen when I push it hard and still have over 80% mana. I do this with no reguard as to how much xp it is worth but I sure burn through alot of glyphs of no return. I am after the rare collection zone drop. after time this becomes very easy as you learn how long a pet lasts with ( X ) # of mobs work your way into it get comphy with 3 mobs first then 5 then 6 then however many you believe you can do.
    do not use your AA rune for swarming keep it at the ready for the oh shiz moments- no cast time rune is priceless for these moments keep casted rune on as much as possable
    Use your mezz ward untill you get the hang of it when swarming upper content it's a free pass to forgivness while learning this technique
    instant invis pots allow you to max the size of your swarms. use them when needed not when you don't
    use your issuance charm aura and tash totem at your killspot , recursion/twincast is not needed and in my exp actually slows down the kill rate as more time is taken "fixing things"
    use your fade if things go real bad most times your swarm will still be rooted so not much work is needed to get right back into it can allways unsuspend merc with fade on for a heal then suspend it before fade wears off or keep it up till camp is controlled if you faded next to something that will agro and attack you.
    for those chants of a lower lvl Tosk was a great place to learn this style of charm when tosk was current content I actually had swarms of ten mobs at once try'n to see how many I could get . The gators in loping plains are another great place to learn it although not high mob density it was a forgiving place to learn it
    to swarm in content that summons is fun also and very do able if well geared and you really like action =) takes more time as more abilities are used to control it but expect to take quite a few more deaths learning
    hope this helps you out a bit and good luck
    Fram
    P.S. I never use BB unless every mob is loose as it breaks any root the non charging mobs had leads to more fixing and downtime and even then I still don't use it I stand my ground hit aa rune and cast perilous disorientation and start re rooting asap or just fade and reset
  19. Sancho Elder

Awesome thank you! My method does kind of suck when I get bumrushed by 5-6 mobs every 30 seconds. I honestly like root a lot so I'll try this out. So it's just non stop pulling more enemies onto the pile as needed?
  20. Frammish New Member

correct as many as you feel comfortable handling. the big thing is knowing when it's time to babysit the swarm and when it's ok to pull. most times unless I get a big swarm the second I tell my next "new" pet to attack I am already otw for another mob to bring in. low health pet is time to worry about the next pet not the next pull. figure out the timing and swarms get big
    another thing that helps be careful when looky loo's are around I have had more swarms ruined be peeps who think they are helping then not I simply send a tell stating no assistance needed please and if they continue well their free port to bind is only a strip enchant and a fade away