Enchanter Charming

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Kaelah, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Kaelah New Member

I was hoping to get some helpful hints, do's and dont's, where to go, pointers, and whatever else anyone can come up with on charming!

I am currently level 97, believe I have all the AA's necessary to successfully do so. Will take any advice/guides/checklists, anything :).

I'm not new to charming I used to charm on my druid years ago, however it seems quite different on my enchanter.

Thanks!

Kae
  2. silku Augur

Learn to keep up runes, at all times. Eldritch, Veil of Mindshadow, and Poly Rune (both stun rune and hp rune in one spell). The normal rune won't stack with eldritch, but when eldritch is down you want both up. You also want to learn to use Beguiler's Banishment and directed banishment. When only your charm pet needs controlled on a break, use the single target. When both are coming at you, beguiler's both of them away and recharm. Create an audio trigger to give you a sound when charm breaks, so that you can react quickly. Always tash the charm mob to make charm land better. Other than that, just practice, practice, practice.
  3. Haegar Augur

What you are missing is snare. That´s the difference you notice.
    And the thing you will miss most, because root fails all the time and with the beguilers banishment bug it´s hard to keep the things where they are supposed to be.

If you want to reverse charm you will miss the instant invis you know from your druid, chanter invis needs a tick longer and that´s enough to lose your pet to some last second crit. On the other hand you can´t just be generous and give them too much health, because chanters lack the nuke power to chop them down.

Pretty good spot is beasts domain, if you come in from the south and stick to the left wall there is a group of 8 apes just before some river. To the south is an area with different things, all charmable and usually enough to last till respawn.

If you want to do AAs, you should do it now, because this spot becomes light blue at lvl 100.
  4. Torriadore Elder

Commanding your pet with '/pet sit' JUST prior to a controlled charm break will give you a few extra seconds to BDB your pet, retash and recharm before it comes ast you. Learn the timing on this and you can get a BDB off even when standing on top of your former pet.

If charming for experience, know your hunting grounds. Lots of zones pre-ROF (and a couple mobs in ROF) have mobs that can dual wield, can equip haste masks and armor etc. This can greatly increase the power of a charmed pet.

When hardcore heritage cazic thule goes live you can farm the lost boots of the mosquito for an easy instant invis. If you are a DE you can use your hide skill. Both are good for instant controlled charm breaks.

Keeping your runes up and creating an audio trigger are the two biggest game changers if you want to minimize your deaths.

Unearthed belt from UF is a great memblur tool in a pinch thanks to an excellent cast time. I would suggest picking one up to supplement our memory flux aa.

These are just some of the many charm tricks. Good luck.
  5. Kaelah New Member

Thanks guys! You're right on the druid. I had snare and instant invis. That's a big difference. I'll have to try out that beasts domain spot! As for the directed banishment, I'm pretty handy with the single target, I'll have to get the multiple down though. Thanks a ton!
  6. Silv Augur

I'd just like to reinforce one of the points that Torr made- make an audio trigger for charm break. IMO-this may be the single most helpful passive thing you can do.

Also, the extended target window is your friend. If I'm not reverse charming I'll often set my pet to one of the slots in Xtarget. Make sure you set it as "current target" or something like that when you set it and not "pet" or something else. On a charm break, especially if other mobs are in camp, you just click that slot and recast charm- takes the guesswork out of it. This is extremely handy in instances where you are swarmed with similar npcs, blinded, etc.

Good luck!
  7. Kaelah New Member

That's awesome too! I will do that. Setting that audio trigger up as soon as I get home from work! :) Do you reverse charm mostly when soloing? Also do you guys use a merc?
  8. Casidia Augur

Actually it's pretty easy now, they nerfed so many things..
    you don't need to haste your pet anymore (now the charm spell does that), so you are just facing 2 normal mobs at break. And your pet usually gets stunned for a few secs on breaks.

So pretty much all you gotta do is handle it like a normal CC situation.
    Keeping a good distance helps, and getting a feeling for where you should stand.
    Flash mez is very helpful for quickly locking 1 down, pbae can be useful too.

Runes already been mentioned, if you want to be super safe use Ward too and keep Color Shock up.
    Good while learning ;)
    You should def. forget about any Roots or Dots, these are beginner stuff and you have much better tools.
    To quickly finish the ex-pet or any other mob, consider Chaotic mez + biggest nukes afterwards.

At L97 i would prolly recommend something like CoB, overview is nice in the city and you can charm guards or Alarans who can use mage gear or any 2 weapons for good dps.
    Equipped pets always make this a lot more efficient, slightly more dangerous too but if you charm you want good dps to make it worthwhile imo.

Cleric merc is most comfortable, on balanced, to keep your equipped pet up.
    You don't have to bother with stunning or getting new pets for a longer time, and can nuke instead.
    You can combine it with keeping a 2nd mob locked with chaotic mez for twincast nukes.
  9. Silv Augur

I don't do much soloing anymore since I box but I do keep a charmed pet 90% of the time. However, back when I was soloing, yes, I reverse charmed. This was of course after the biggest round of charm nerfs but I'm guessing you may not have been playing then.

Unlike Cas I normally would keep up root but over time as I became more comfortable (and lazy) I wouldn't bother; with punt and other tools you don't really need it and it will free up a spell slot. Now, if you have one of the root clickies, there isn't much reason NOT to do it for that extra bit of safety.

You'll get conflicting views on which merc to use- I use Cleric and keep it on passive if I'm reverse charming and don't want to sustain a particular pet. If I'm wanting to draw it out then I'll keep it healing. Some will say go with a Wiz merc for quicker killing. There are pros and cons to both. For starters, I'd stick with Cleric, if only to keep yourself alive if you need. Remember though that the merc is going to eat some of your XP. You'll have to decide if the loss is worth the gain.

Also, going back to audio triggers- the EQ sounds are okay (I use them for /tell, /gsay, etc.) but I've found really "customizing" them is best. You can find several text to speak (.wav) sites online and make your own ATs then just put it in your EQ folder under AT. Basic example- "charm break" for... charm breaks. Nice for stuff like Deep Sleep fading too. I do love hearing the British lady tell me things in EQ ;)

CoB is good like mentioned above, as well as most of the open areas in ROF zones like SL, EW, or Evantil. If you really feel comfortable, the first floor of Chapterhouse is good because of the long hall ways. It is often rather empty so if stuff goes south you can train to the zone out or just run to a safe spot and Stasis.

Remember that charming a roamer can make several places "safe"; keep track of respawn times and you'll never get into a sticky situation with mobs popping on you. There are several UI mods that are available which act as a timer on screen. However, since you're an Ench adds shouldn't really be an issue ;)
  10. Kaelah New Member

How about the charm aura? Keep that up?
  11. Casidia Augur

12. Filatal Augur

I am a hard data guy and charm aura is just one of those things that is hard to quantify, so I rarely use it. I don't see many early breaks as it is, but I guess if I used charm aura all the time I might see even less, but is it worth giving up TC and MR? Or even Amp and MR if you are using Chaotic?

Another couple of AA that I haven't seen anyone mention, Beam of Slumber and Scintillating Beam. Both are cone mez, .5 sec casting time. BoS works up to level 103 ( at max, you can buy the up to level 98 version at 97 ) and SB works up to level 99 ( again, max. I believe you can get up to 94 at current level ). BoS is 2 minute recast with no other effects. SB is short recast ( 12 sec ) and also has a root component that snares mobs on fade. SB mez also lasts a longer than BoS, but it has worse range.

While the snare is nothing like dru/rng snares in duration, it can be handy, especially when you have an angry bunch of critters on you. BoS is handy when you need to lock down a group quick, but can't risk punting them around like Banishment does.
  13. Haegar Augur

Never ever use area banish, if you can help it.
    It will aggro nearby things, and ruin the camp for the time.
    It´s impossible to get them back under control, because they can´t be rooted (Beguilers banishment bug)

Mezz, stun, whatever. If it´s not to avoid your own terrible death there is no reason to use AE banish.
  14. Haegar Augur

I like my victims to be on the spot i chose, while they bash each other. How do you manage it without root ?

Have to agree on the Dots though, Dots break mezz and thats the reason why chanters (especially solo) got no reason to cast it...
  15. Arderd and Crowd Augur

I'd like a little clarification here. I'd read they nerfed us out of charming. I went on my Ench and tried to charm a few things, using the 77 or 78 charm on blue bears in LP. They broke in a few seconds, the other things I tried all resisted.
    I left about 7 years ago (just came back) and have about 1300AAs from up to TBS. Is there something I'm missing that will let me hold my charm again? It worked fine in PoV in my old stomping ground: it was the first place I went to when I logged him in.
    I box my enchanter, so I was hoping to be able to be stable enough to add DPS to my SK who is basically soloing.
    I'm not dying, or anything, I've spent hundreds of hours charming, so I can save my easily enough, but it seems useless to me at the moment.
  16. Sinestra Augur

With some AAs it makes charm break much less often. Rare enough that if it breaks before the duration of the spell is up that it actually surprises you after a while. Also Tashing your charm pets first can make a big difference.
  17. Arderd and Crowd Augur

hmm remember which AAs? I can krono him and get a few if needed.
    Wondering whether it'll actually speed me up that much, hasted pet still destroy other slowed mobs?
  18. Arderd and Crowd Augur

and where would you suggest at 78 for charming?
  19. Filatal Augur

Charm isn't as powerful as it was in PoP/GoD era as all charmed mobs suffer a damage penalty in any post GoD zone. They are still decent dps.

The AA is Total Domination, 3 ranks from PoP and 3 ranks added in SoF. I wasn't around when it was current, but I did some solo'ing in Valdeholm pit in the high 70's, I think, when I was catching up. No idea if there are better spots or not.
  20. Arderd and Crowd Augur

I think I have 3 levels of TD, I'll get the others if it'll make a difference. It looks like it only makes 15% difference on charm break tho? Surely that can't be the difference between 24 seconds and 6 minutes, or whatever?