DPS

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Robnie, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Robnie Augur

WTB dps lineups for the 3 tank classes, what do you guys hit on events you have nothing to do on?

Inb4 "tanks aren't dps classes"
  2. Sathayorn Augur

For Warriors: Use non warrior-only weapon (I prefer a dagger) with damage aug.

Second Spire, Fellstrike, Heroic blade - When Fellstrike ends, confirm it actually ended by using Jab Through, once that starts hit Vehement Rage and start battle leaping from here on, when heroic rage fades, follow with Brutal Onslaught and finally Glyph of the Cataclysm if you have AA's to burn. (Hit glyph after no fewer than 6 seconds have passed since Brutal Onslaught disappears from combat window, buggy timer + stacking issues can lead to wasted AA's)

Can routinely pull off acceptable DPS numbers like this. Shield topple and Stormwheel to hearts content (You can get an extra round in with rampage every 3 mins as well)
  3. Abazzagorath Augur

This is what I posted for my guild's paladins:

Full burn (not healing, no adds):

Prep - always have one junk buff slot in slot 1, click it off before burning so RU ends up in first slot, get on back of mob if rooted, side arc if not, be prepared to move in front if mob moving bad, get mana recursion buff from enchanter if able

Use the magic damage tonic instead of a poison potion.

Disc order (off the top):

Righteous Umbrage
    Inquisitor's Judgement
    Valorous Rage
    Second Spire (if not using First on tanks)
    Pureforge Discipline
    Intensity of the Resolute (if you have)
    Glyph of the Cataclysm (if you have)

Epic Click
    Underfoot BP click (if mob is rooted)

Drop Aura and put up CoP3 click if no one else has (almost never necessary)

Spell Twist (mem in order and then click down in order and then on refresh)

Disruptive Persecution (aa)
    Crush of Tarew
    Laudation
    Paean
    Elegy
    Glorious Expurgation

Chain bash, keep yaulp aa buff on you.

On longer fights, when Pureforge drops, hit Holyforge

Thats all you do, nuke on refresh, get discs in right order, make sure righteous buff is in first (or early) slot, ahead of any other proc buffs. If you do that, you will parse interchangeably with Me and Ozimandias on burns depending on randomness of the RNG.

You can also run flurry tribute, heroic strength tribute for a little more.

On this kind of dps burn, don't cast ostracize (cast time is too long, you'll lose dps) or Crush of Iceclad (even with mana recursion buff, you end up losing more melee dps than you gain from the nuke or its a wash, AND due to recasts, you'll almost never not have one of the others available to cast so its irrelevant).

- - -

What do you do different in other situations but want to maximize your dps?

Need to heal the tank? First spire rot? Etc.

First spire rot is easy, don't use second spire and cast first on your turn (check the MTs buffs before casting, even if other paladin forgot to say something in channel doesn't mean they didn't cast it).

If you need to chain heal the MT, you use the same spell set up for nukes, same disc set up, what you do different is:

After every glorious expurgation cast, cast protective allegiance. That way PA gets twin cast on the tank. After PA, cast one nuke + DP, then cast ostracize, then cast two nukes, then back to GE/PA, etc. Basically, you want to twincast PA, get ostracize in, and then use cool down time in between to get in whatever nukes are up, while ALWAYS hitting DP (its an aa so ignores spell cooldown, its done casting before your spell gems refresh).

Need to ae heal? Work in splash. Determine based off need whether you use your twinheal proc on splash or PA, but never waste your twinheal with casting ostracize at the wrong time (its eats twinheal proc without twinhealing).

Thats pretty much it. You do that when you can, otherwise its get on adds, kite, rez, cure, etc like normal (unless assigned to chain PA the MT).

Use balefire to keep lower on aggro list as we generate a lot of aggro. Dragorn illusion adds some damage to each hit, spider familiar is highest dps gain on familiars. You could use ranger buff instead of paladin brells if you wanted also. So those are some other minor gains you could get.

Any dps helps. On a longer event, save your burn for important parts, like on Xorbb 3, its great to save them for the huge add waves at end, or the double eye spawn, for example (it makes a huge difference on those).
    Elricvonclief and Retro like this.
  4. Battleaxe Augur

Please excuse my lack of mechanics knowledge, but...

Doesn't Protective Allegiance Guard conflict with Shining Armor?

I've heard (heaven knows from who) that Shining Armor is going to get a slot change and some of the more inconvenient conflicts will be going away, but until that happens a few things have to be blocked in order to get the benefits from this pretty decent Cleric spell.
  5. Abazzagorath Augur

Why would an MT use shining armor when they can have 15% vie constantly from PA being chain cast, plus getting chained 30k heals.
  6. Battleaxe Augur

I suppose a Cleric might argue that Light heals roughly the same as PA, is faster, and costs less mana - an MT can have the benefit of Light being chained plus Shining Armor which is both > PA alone and doesn't entirely go away if one of the two parties becomes unable to deliver.

I asked because I had a question (I still do TBH), not because I was questioning your expertise. I'll take your reply as providing an answer (and maybe the right answer) and not questioning my expertise (although in this area I question it myself).

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry for wandering away from the topic.
  7. krozman Augur

Because only the highest form of Vie holds, and the MT on any raid event will certainly have a higher vie defensive going at the time. Most tanks that know what they're doing will block the recourse that cancels shining armor, but it's still a helpful spell with the HoTT healing.
  8. krozman Augur

@ Abazzagorath's burn setup. It's solid although correct me if i'm wrong, glyph and 7th don't stack, you hit them sequentually instead of simultaneously. Isn't an issue since they're short duration.

Only issue with paladin dps is that when it matters (i.e. chance to lose the raid) the paladin's Hott healing and tanking will be more useful than the dps. However, Paladin dps is actually surprisingly good for those first couple minutes. The new beta abilities are putting us more in line with tanks than healers, though, so DPS is more of the red headed stepchild and is often times more academic than practical.

But if you happen to field 6 paladins and 7 warriors and 4 SKs, some of you are going to end up as pure dps anyway and it's important to know what to do and how to do it. Following what abazz posted is more than a good start.
  9. Battleaxe Augur

So you would argue PA, even with the recourse that cancels Shining Armor blocked, is still helpful enough to justify casting it rather than Light which heals roughly the same as PA, is faster, and costs less mana. Thanks for the further clarification.
  10. Abazzagorath Augur

I think you don't understand what vie is and what warrior defensives are. One takes X% off the hit, the other reduces the effective DI range. Tanks aren't running around with better than 15% vie.

There is zero reason to block the recourse unless its an event where the paladin(s) cannot be chaining it. Shining armor is 10%. PA recourse is 15%. That is the entire reason it knocks it off. Using shining is either due to the encounter specifics or player laziness (even on the highest dps mobs the recourse won't fall off fast enough that it isn't recast with 2 paladins chaining it).

If you have enough healers its not necessary. But then, you could have more dps and less healers and have paladins not be lazy, which seems better IMHO.
  11. Abazzagorath Augur

Incorrect. If you are chaining them you are wasting dps. Not all the effects stack, but the multiplicative effect over using both (and glyph lasts like two minutes anyway) during burn discs is more dps than chaining them and using glyph while you essentially only have auto attack and nuke dps outside of some of our abilities.
  12. Abazzagorath Augur

Since when does casting PA prevent clerics casting lights? It doesn't. You don't do one or the other. Unless you mean paladin light, which would just be stupid as paladins 1) don't usually mem lights, 2) requires you to change target and lose dps and potentially hit the wrong tank as agro shifts and 3) you'd still lose 5% vie, and 4) you still can do both if you wanted/needed anyway so its irrelevant.

PA is a hott effect. If I wanted to heal the MT with straight heals it would be with burst for heal amount and speed or the "slow" heal for mana savings.
  13. Mykaylla Augur

Huh, don't know how I missed this a few weeks ago.

There is a very good reason to block the recourse on Protective even though it's a higher vie percentage.

Shining Armour is not just vie, it is also a defensive proc stun AND heal. You knock the whole lot off with Protective, and block it.

Fortunately, in about a day, that's not going to be a problem, as Shining Bastion and Protective will no longer conflict- Shining Bastion is having the slot moved to 12.
    Noobieguy likes this.
  14. Sindaiann Augur

Bump

WTB 110 update!!
  15. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Hit all the buttons and use a 2 hander... ask for a bard in group... nuke as you can. On the Rile and VS fight in T2-3, I am usually parseing 120k dps, with all the moves and adds plus push you loose dps. Holy alliance helps also.

Then always be ready to band-o back to tank set up for adds/random tomb rot
    Whulfgar and Sindaiann like this.
  16. Whulfgar Augur

I on my warrior, push up to 135k sustained threw event's, As Robnie himself can attest and has seen first hand. hah
  17. Tucoh Augur

For posterity:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tank-style-dps.246952/

Personally I don't have enough experience to say what the optimal rotation is for a warrior. But to me the key to maintaining good DPS for a warrior is being good at knowing when to pop your cooldowns to both stack top buffs and to avoid overlap of buffs.

Ruchu, Glyph, Heroic Rage, Brutal Onslaught all have non-stacking critical hit damage buffs. Mighty Strike doesn't stack with Heroic Blade.

In my box group, I try to cycle my DPS buffs around the shaman's epic (Prophet's Gift of the Ruchu). I have a gina trigger to tell me when ruchu drops, to remind me to pop glyph. If I can get Mighty Strike + Ruchu simultaneously, that's aces.

For me personally, running my box group, if I'm in a tough fight my warrior is in turtle mode anyway, and any focus I have on DPS is on my boxes. If the fight allows me to run dual wield, I'm happy just to pop heroic blade (or mighty strike or brutal onslaught), glyph, Circle of Power and rely mostly on ADPS for the rest.

If I'm really comfortable, I'll switch to 2H for rampage, but I almost never tank in 2H mode.
  18. Leigo You come here often?

Oh let's see.. outside of named in RoS I can generally run 2h and here's my lineup:
    Mash key1: terror, spurn pet attack
    Mash key2: bond, AA bite, wounding blade, banestrike
    Mash key3: 110/105 touch, dire, spear, bite

As it comes up:
    Unholy aura
    VoDeath
    VoDecay + Quick Spear

1st spire generally held for HT for named.

This is grouping.. I don't get to raid on the sk anymore /cry
  19. p2aa Augur

For warriors, here is how I do. Lot of things have changed since the latest DPS guide made 5 years ago for warriors.
    Before giving my order, here are some comments on what changed and why I use some abilities over others.

Battle Leap : It's a permanent effect now, 45 % increase dmg to all hits.

This fact changed greatly imo the debate of Mighty Strike Versus Fellstrike to use, and even the importance of Intensity of the Resolute in one set up versus another.

One of Fellstrike effect is 5 % more dmg than Battle Leap (the effect has been nerfed in half from 100 % to 50 %), doesn't do much, which let Mighty Strike only effect "Increase Chance to Critical hit by 10000 %" versus Fellstrike other effect "Increase min hit dmg by 400%"
    Mighty strike effect is better overall.
    Also, Mighty Strike will stack better with Vehement Rage effect "Increase min hit dmg by 45%" than Fellstrike. Vehement Rage stack well with Brutal Onslaught too.
    Intensity of the Resolute is 10 % more dmg than battle leap, I don't see any conflict with Brutal Onslaught effect, so I don't see why it should not be used with this disc.Intensity of the Resolute stacks well with Mighty Strike too. If Intensity not up, no biggy with the permanent effect of Battle Leap.

Brutal Onslaught versus Mighty Strike, which disc to start with.
    You kill faster the same mob using Brutal Onslaught alone than Mighty Strike alone.

There is no more really in current raiding content " very short DPS fight" (fight < 60 sec duration). So for me you need to use disc effect that don't overlap each other, even if it means using some of these abilities later.

Order :
    1) Click 2H bandolier button, click Battle Leap as soon as the mob aggroed.
    2) Click Brutal Onslaught + Intensity of the Resolute + Vehement Rage + Rage of Rallos Zek + Second Spire of the Warlord + Martial Fury (EoK warrior clicky)
    3) When Brutal Onslaught fades, click Mighty Strike
    4) When Mighty Strike fades, click Strikethrough + War Sheol Heroic Blade
    5) When Strikethrough fades, click Weapon Covenant.
    6) When Weapon Covenant fades, click Offensive Disc
    7) When War Sheol Heroic Blade fades, click Circle of Power + Glyph of Destruction.
    8) When mob is at 20 % or under, click Calculating Strike and reapply when back up.

I nearly never use Offensive Disc in raid. Because, apart putting a timer on Defensive Disc,
    1) All raid boss AE rampage hard in today's raid, and you take 35 % more dmg under Offensive Disc, which adds to the massive mitigation hit you take yet being under 2H stance.
    2) One of the Offensive disc effect is Increase hit dmg by 45 %, useless as yet done by permanent Battle Leap effect.
    Which would make me use this disc as the really end, if I would use it.

Also,
    Martial Fury put a timer on the RoS BP defensive clicky, so don't use it if you might have to tank some stuff in raid.
    From experience, War Sheol Heroic Blade won't land if you have yet a Circle of Power clicky on you. Remove Circle of Power before using War Sheol.

I forgot to add that there is a "Mash key" I click constantly, made of Shield Break, Bash, Knee Strike, Throat Jab and Call of Challenge (can remove call of challenge in raid for buff limit issue). When mob is under 20 %, Shield Break doesn't stack with Calculating Strike, so I will time them, starting by Calculating Strike first.

DW DPS is good too, and not so far of 2H. I use DW for RoS Vault 2.0 raid for example on adds I don't tank. This allow me to keep a very good DPS stuff on while not having big mitigation hit of using 2H stance, and making healer life easier when they have to move to emotes and keeping healing going.
    Or when I'm ST on a raid boss and I can DPS it, DW stance allow me to still use Flash of Anger if MT dies and mob turns to me and then I can bandolier to Shield Stance.

I'm of course opened to discussion sharing on this guide.
  20. Fintank Augur

So before I give my order that I use I wanted to "correct" you so to speak on some of your order, as it has some misinformation.
    1. Heroic Rage (War Sheol's Effect) stacks with Circle of Power, won't knock either of them off or prevent either from landing.
    2. Shield Break and Calculated Strike are on separate timers, this was a change implemented in TBM I believe it was.
    3. Battle Leap, Vehement Rage, Offensive Disc etc all stack. The Hit Damage mod provided by all of these affects are in different slots.

My order:
    1. Brutal Onslaught + Rampage
    2. Mighty Strike + Glyph + Rampage
    3. (When Glyph Fades) War Sheol's Heroic Blade + Rage of Rallos + 2nd Spire + Rampage
    4. Offensive Discipline
    5. Vehement Rage

I personally don't use Weapon Covenant or Strike Through because I don't think about them due to their very low impact. I also always forget to use Intensity of the Resolute, but generally I pair it with Mighty Strike.

I use Rage and Second Spire with War Sheol's Heroic Blade due to the haste bonus, so if you aren't at max haste for whatever reason this will bump you up. The maximum output to achieve on Rage and Second Spire is solely based on your Haste/Overhaste/HHE amount.

I have Rampage tied to each of the 3 large burns, I time them around Rampage timer, so Vehement and Offensive end up being filler discs. I hit Vehement Rage alone for the most part based off DPS feel, seems to be lower when I combine it with things. However I have not tested it yet because I'm a lazy person.