tank style dps

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Whulfgar, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Whats a resonable ball park wise dps numbers for each of the 3 tank classes these days ?
  2. Whulfgar Augur

raid style.
    Warrior ?
    Pally?
    Shadow knight ?

Group style..
    Warrior?
    Pally??
    Shadow knight ??
  3. Tucoh Augur

I run a boxed melee group with a warrior main and in my high-dps configuration I have a bard, berserker, beastlord, shaman and ranger backing up the warrior. AKA nearly ideal ADPS for a warrior.

I did quite a few target dummy parses last year before RoS released to try and figure out how buffs in EQ stacked and worked, and what really went into damage calculations. The below table has information from that era:
    [IMG]

Most of these parses were against a dummy that I believes has typical stats for a group mob, and were done with a 2H raid weapon from TBM (curtain caller) that is roughly equivalent in ratio to RoS 2Hs.

In this era I get 36k DPS unbuffed and 305k DPS with almost the full stack of DPS buffs I can get with my crew.

Here's a few points:
    1. More so than any other class, most of a warriors sustained DPS comes from auto-attack and they only have a few self-buffs to increase their damage. Thus they are very dependent on ADPS in ways that other classes aren't, especially hundred hands effect (HHE), of which the beastlord's dichotomic fury is king.

2. I noticed in the above parses that my dual wield damage was only a little (~8%) less than my 2H damage. Dual wield is very good defensively compared to 2H, so I spend almost all my time in that stance. The only time I switch to 2H is to pop rampage or because I'm fighting really easy mobs that I basically whip with massive 2 handed ripostes. Dual wield is also helped vs 2H by how amazing the wurmslayer is. I only switch to shield when I pull too many mobs, and try to go back to dual wield ASAP.

I haven't done much extensive parsing between 2H and dual wield, so I don't know if there are conditions where it benefits from ADPS in ways that dual wield doesn't. I do feel that there are many warriors out there who don't know that dual wield is such a generous balance between defense and offense.

3. I haven't collected a lot of good stats on RoS performance (I am going to soon), but just from memory if I'm playing normally but attentively I'll get around 150-200k DPS over a sustained (30+ minutes) period of time.

I have no opinion about raids or knight DPS.
    kizant likes this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

I just did twenty minutes continuous killing 41 mobs around the mentor NPC that drops a VP key piece with my melee DPS group. I didn't do anything special and only hit my burns once when I fought the one NPC I encountered (Tormented Adalora) where I also switched to shield for a bit.

I feel like this is representative of what a group geared warrior with exceptional ADPS should expect if they hit their keys with only moderate skill.

Below are the results:

/GU Combined: A sepulcher spectre in 723s, 502989k @695697sdps --- Tucos + pets 161587k@223495sdps (224739dps in 719s) [32.13%] --- Tucoh + pets 140963k@194970sdps (195240dps in 722s) [28.02%] --- Lelentos + pets 83494k@115482sdps (115963dps in 720s) [16.6%] --- Tucolord + pets 57877k@80051sdps (80384dps in 720s) [11.51%] --- Tucob + pets 47736k@66025sdps (66485dps in 718s) [9.49%]

Tucos: berserker
    Tucoh: Warrior
    Lelentos (also my box): ranger (level 109)
    Tucolord: Beastlord
    Tucob: Bard
    Shaman not shown

My warrior's spells in this period look like:
    Combined: A sepulcher spectre on 2/5/2018

Tucoh - 252
    --- Ageless Enmity VI - 1
    --- Area Taunt V - 2
    --- Banestrike - 16
    --- Battle Leap IX - 2
    --- Blade Guardian IX - 3
    --- Blast of Anger XI - 18
    --- Blessing of Tunare - 3
    --- Blessing of Unity - 2
    --- Brace For Impact IX - 2
    --- Brutal Onslaught Disc - 1
    --- Call of Challenge V - 58
    --- Circle of Power IV - 1
    --- Cry Havoc - 28
    --- Defensive / Evasive disc ended - 1
    --- Fortitude Disc - 1
    --- Fortitude disc ended - 1
    --- Glyph of the Cataclysm - 1
    --- Grappling Strike I - 6
    --- Gut Punch XII - 38
    --- Heroic Blade IV - 1
    --- Imperator's Charge IV - 7
    --- Knee Strike XI - 10
    --- Kreljnok's Fury - 1
    --- Necromantic Curse - 8
    --- Press the Attack VIII - 2
    --- Rage of Rallos Zek - 1
    --- Rage of the Forsaken II - 9
    --- Rampage V - 5
    --- Received Auspice of the Hunter - 1
    --- Received Bard Epic - 7
    --- Received Bestial Alignment - 2
    --- Received Fierce Eye - 8
    --- Received Paragon - 3
    --- Received Quick Time - 3
    --- Received Ruaabri's Fury - 1
    --- Received Shaman Epic - 8
    --- Resplendent Glory VI - 2
    --- Roaring Shield - 1
    --- Second Spire of the Warlord IV - 3
    --- Vampiric Aura - 5
    --- Warlord's Fury - 2
    --- Warlord's Grasp Taunt II - 1
    --- Warlord's Resurgence III - 2
    --- Warlord's Tenacity XXII - 1
    --- Water of Life - 6

Produced by GamParse v1.5.2.17
    Drogba likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

And this is what happens to the PH and his buddy when I come back every 12 minutes and lay everything I've both of them in a dozen seconds.

/GU Combined: Arisen bones in 13s, 20813k @1600968sdps --- Tucoh 8227k@632847sdps (685585dps in 12s) [39.53%] --- Tucos + pets 6642k@510935sdps (738017dps in 9s) [31.91%] --- Lelentos 3702k@284765sdps (370195dps in 10s) [17.79%] --- Tucolord 1620k@124624sdps (180013dps in 9s) [7.78%] --- Tucob 533k@41000sdps (66626dps in 8s) [2.56%]
  6. Drogba Augur

This parse is of my raid geared shadow knight in Charsis with continuous killing (no med breaks or stops) with rng/brd/bst for adps. Still using the EoK raid 2 hander.

Combined: Arisen Fenistra in 1839s, 1099589k @597928sdps --- Drogbaa + pets 342519k@186253sdps (186354dps in 1838s) [31.15%]

I'd benefit from some more adps, and this group was like a month ago, so I don't recall how much more i could've been pushing it. I was tanking, so on the one hand, i'm benefiting from riposte dps, and on the other, i'm casting aggro spells alot in place of more nukes, and I don't know how much that give & take sways it.

This one is Caktiiki group mission with sk/mnk/rog/bst/war: Combined: A monstrous succulent in 87s, 126957k @1459278sdps --- #1 Drogbaa + pets 33967k@390420sdps (394960dps in 86s) [26.75%]

I'm sure I could do better, these are typical numbers though.
  7. Brohg Augur

Combined: Some killin' in Veeshan's Peak, quest stuff, plus two named in 1499s, 564839k @376810
    Szilent + pets 269935k@(180077 in 1499s)
  8. draginn Elder

I have not parsed in awhile. I'll do it on live as well as undead.
  9. Brohg Augur

Oh, that's with my bard alt grouped, and part time with beastlord. Random buffs, but pretty close to tops performance. Probably wurmslayer's bane dmg versus some of the mobs? Do sarnaks or drakes or wurms qualify for that?
  10. Whulfgar Augur

So last night over two raids i on whulf sustained first raid 97k then on second raid 116k none tanking none repo sustained. When i get home if i remember i can post a parse.
  11. Silverstone Journeyman

With Wurmslayer, non-raid. As a Paladin I do 30-50k on a burn 1 handed. That is spamming Disruptive for 30k-110k on a crit. Our highest nuke.

2 handed using Scar I can burn for about 80-90k damage for 1 minute, if Pureforge and Valorous rage are running. Then 2 handed damage goes back down to 50-60k.

In this expansion where burns and max dps is needed Paladins fall way behind. I am about 50 percent raid geared and 50 percent group geared.

Still love my Paladin, doing 1/4 damage as other tanks is fine for me. If I could change anything, stronger heals through your targets is needed. These have stagnated healing wise. Delves and healing could be double what they are now without overpowering us.
  12. p2aa Augur

You cannot draw conclusions between classes unless you have the same group conditions.
    I'm a raid geared warrior, with only self buffs (no unity, no ranger buff etc.), miraculous vision haste and my cleric merc, I soloed The Bridge Guardian in Chardok. I used a mix of 2H / DW EoK raid weapon stance, depending on the dmg I was taking.
    I did 50 k DPS in 1680 sec (28 minutes fight).
  13. Tucoh Augur

Any melee's DPS is going to be against EoK golems.

When I created a histogram of d20 rolls against them, I found that EoK golems have a 50% melee mitigation (not sure about any spell mitigation tbh), so your DPS will be just over half against them that it'd be against say, a nearby sarnak or ghost. This might be common knowledge, but I only found it out incidentally when trying to figure out the value of additional attack values when I tried to figure out how much AC group mobs have.

I got really confused when I tried to replicate the d20 histogram with a guild hall dummy by setting its AC values and found that when I was successful all the numbers were cut in half!
    [IMG]

The top graph is a guardian in Kor'Sha Labs, bottom is a construct in the guild hall with 454AC. All the hits are non-crits, non-crips and there are 20 bins represented in the histogram.

In case anyone sees this and knows why my hit distribution is bi-modal and not uni-modal I'd love to know. I don't know of anything in EQ that would cause D20 rolls to be frequently rolled to 4.
    gotwar likes this.
  14. Fohpo Augur

Out of curiosity, are you guys all raid geared on your tanks? I feel like trying to 2h tank in group gear, especially in RoS, gets pretty dicey.
  15. Tucoh Augur

All my characters are in group gear.

I rarely tank with a 2H. In my very limited parsing I've found dual wield auto-attack provides 92% as much DPS as 2H while being substantially better at tanking. I switch to 2H when I hit 'em with Rampage (warrior AE 5 main-hand round attack) though.
  16. Fohpo Augur

Never leveled a warrior and my SK is EoK T2 vis, EoK T1 non-vis with a small number of RoS non-vis pieces. Getting multiples in EoK T2 while farming augs last night, I'm not sure I could sustain with a 2h equipped and weapon stance rolling.
  17. Tucoh Augur

I'd actually be curious to hear what kind of disparity there is in tanking between 2h and shield tanking for a shadowknight, along with the damage disparty between 2h/shield.

I've been considering shadowknights as being a strong competitor to a warrior in terms of group tanking, but if a group geared SK has trouble staying alive with typical healing when using 2H and their shield DPS is similar to a warrior's shield DPS, I'd have to reconsider that opinion.
  18. Fohpo Augur

I think my shield DPS may be higher because of procs and such, but I don't know if it's comparable to your dual wield tank DPS. I'd assume even in a group setting on a warrior, you're most likely still stacking hAgi - really referring to primary focus on 7/8's and type 5's.
  19. Tucoh Augur

I stack hDex for them ripostes.
  20. Fohpo Augur

Be interesting to see then, I'll have to get GamParse and we can compare notes.