DP nerf

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Gumby, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Gumby Augur

The Disruptive Persecution nerf is just awful.

I really don't understand the point of it. In "DPS mode", it's not like Paladins were topping the parses anyway. Yet, that was singled out to be nerfed into the ground. It doesn't take many mobs to run OOM now, even with chanter buffs.

So bad.
    Nightops likes this.
  2. Nightops Augur

I have to agree with the OP.

The mana cost for this AA click has been adjusted too high. When you factor in the other duties a paladin is responsible for, our mana went fast enough prior to this change.

I was on an EK2 raid last week and after the first phase, I found myself around 60% mana after just 1 minute of nuking and splashing.

We are not a pure caster class which focuses on mana / Heroic Wis.. and we do not have the specialization skills to save us mana.

I'm not sure Daybreak realizes that increasing the mana cost this much would have unintended side effects like... decreasing our use rate and adjusting our dps downward.
  3. sojero One hit wonder

Not for or against the change, but you have to look at a couple things.

DP mana vs damage, they were just bringing it back in line with other spells/aa in that regard.

If you want to go dps, you pay the price of less healing, more healing, less dps. They are just making you choose.

I do feel that pallies need a boost to their mana recovery AA and a reduction in time AA, maybe this expansion you will get that.
  4. Stephen51 Augur

If Alla is right, then all levels of DP had the same mana cost, so I can speculate why Daybreak changed this. Someone has thought, the cost has not been increased as the damage has increased, and begrudgingly I can see the logic in that.

What I don't think has been considered is the balance of Paladin mana levels have been based on this mana cost since it was introduced and increasing its cost, without looking at our regen levels is only doing half the job.

Also, of all the other AA Nukes, are their any other classes that have a mana cost? The ones I know of (Druid, Mage, SK) do not, if Alla is correct, so why do we?
  5. Nightops Augur

I knew of the mage AA nuke being mana free; but didn't know there were other classes with a similar mana free AA click nuke.
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Wizards get 3, and Druids get one as well iirc. It's not a new concept, but adding a mana cost to one seems to be.
  7. Warpeace Augur

It already had a mana cost they just decided it was to low so they upped it by over 3.5x the original cost.
  8. sojero One hit wonder

The big difference between pal aa nuke and others is the fact that it is their best nuke and other classes AA nukes are 1/10 their best nukes. Only reason I could see to attach mana cost to it. SK nukes are mana regen nukes is the reason they dont have the cost, and 60 second recast.
  9. Warpeace Augur

For the most part the change is a non factor because your mashing Force of Disruption for the agro and its on the same timer as DP and Divine stun.
    Linden likes this.
  10. sojero One hit wonder

Is that still the case with bold attacks aa? Pallies got huge boon with that. Haven't played around with mine since the change.
  11. Gumby Augur

Well Divine Stun is just annoying and FoD really isn't needed for aggro in most situations.

DP was a much better option, but now it is a worthless ability. So sad.
  12. sojero One hit wonder

Dont want to downplay the annoyance of the extra mana cost because it is meh, but seriously that is being way to much of a drama queen. DP is still the best nuke you have, and threads between your spells.
  13. Maedhros High King

To be fair, I previously very seldom had cause to pay any attention to my mana bar as it never would budge. The only time I'd need to hit a mod rod or mars gift was after a rez, and then I could forget about my mana again.
    While testing the change out the other night on raids, I did find that the mana usage was pretty quick and felt that perhaps the mana cost is a touch higher than probably justified. I have 3 beastlords that we coordinate AE paragon, we have a rotation of circle of mana at pretty much all times, and that helped, but without those happening the mana may have been a problem.

It definitely seems to be high in the group game.
  14. Gumby Augur

And that's what I play. It's absolutely devastating for Group play.

Unless you want to sit down to med multiple times during HA's or Missions in normal steady group scenario's this ability is relegated to being garbage now.

Drama Queen or not, it is what it is. No other tank class needs to take breaks like that.

This ability was the only way Paladins could stay close to what the other Tanks could do in terms of both Tanking and DPS. That was taken away in one single action, destroying an aspect of the class.
  15. sojero One hit wonder

Are you using mar as soon as you hit the % mark that it will refresh you? Are you using your AA yalp? Are you working with your group mates to get paragon, QM, mod rods etc? If you cannot last at least 1 ha, then you should look at what your doing and seeing if there is something that may be done, but this is very dependent on your group make up as well and how fast your group is killing.

I know mana is a real concern in the group game, but if you work at it, its not that bad. I hope pallies do get some love in the mana regen department soon as they need it more than the other 2 tanks.
  16. Brohg Augur

17. Nightops Augur

QM... on a paladin? seriously? you shouldnt even mention that.

I think people are forgetting why these 3 AA stuns types were created / adjusted.

DP was the dps side of the triangle. The penalty to using the DP for damage was the addition of decreased hate; not gaining dps at a high mana cost.

The penalty for FoD was the absence of damage while gaining large hate.

Divine stun was for the interupt casting (and push), but again, with the asbsence of damage.

Why do the FoD and Divine Stuns have a -zero- mana cost but the DP has a mana cost? People would be screaming until their eyeballs popped out if they assigned an equal amount of mana cost to the FoD and Divine stun versions of the AA. Keep being on the side of this mana cost should have been expected and accepted and the next step will be having the same mana cost added to FoD.

Like I said earlier, this increase in mana cost is having a direct effect on paladins and forcing our dps downward.
  18. sojero One hit wonder

When I was running sk + pal + clr + 3 dps mercs I always used QM on the pal because it ran out of mana faster than the other 2 classes, you boost your weakest link so that the chain holds for longer.
  19. p2aa Augur

Destroying an aspect of the class ? Cry me a river
    Your main ability as a paladin is tanking (and holding aggro)
    If they would have done this to your aggro one, aka FoD, i could understand the complaint.
    If your life playing a tank is devastated cause your dps button cost you mana, do yourself a favor and play a real dps class. Tank DPS shall not be taken as the main part of your equation playing a tank, and Tank dps is just rubbish compared to what pure DPS can do.
    Is that annoying ? yes for sure
    Is that devastating and kill your class ? Lol no
    Also, if you were not using FoD actively before the Bold Attack AA and was using DP instead, i hope you weren't grouped with some dps actually trying to play to their best potential cause your aggro would have been destroyed. Even with FoD used the best melee dps players were putting paladin aggro to threat, which has been improved now by the Bold Attack AA for all tanks.
  20. shiftie Augur

/GU Combined: A mosquito in 951s, 68082k @71590dps --- Archangelo 29645k @31304dps (43.54%) --- Solas + pets 24151k @25396dps (35.47%) --- Madmaryanne 11196k @11936dps (16.45%) --- Rahhl 1763k @1908dps (2.59%) --- Kebann 863k @914dps (1.27%) --- Kaliz + pets 462k @492dps (0.68%) --- Keldin 0k @0dps (0%)

Combined: A mosquito on 10/22/2015

Archangelo - 693
    --- Arcane Melody Strike - 141
    --- Banestrike - 18
    --- Beacon of the Righteous III - 4
    --- Blessing of Life XVIII - 28
    --- Blunted Strike II - 17
    --- Brell's Blessed Stone Balm - 30
    --- Brilliant Vindication - 57
    --- Consecration Rk. II - 53
    --- Disruptive Persecution VI - 80
    --- Divine Call XI - 1
    --- First Spire of Holiness III - 1
    --- Fjilnauk's Strike III - 74
    --- Flames of the Valiant - 1
    --- Flames of the Valiant Strike - 1
    --- Gift of Life VI - 1
    --- Group Armor of the Inquisitor III - 1
    --- Hand of Piety XXXI - 1
    --- Heroic Leap II - 2
    --- Holyforge Disc - 1
    --- Inquisitor's Judgment Strike XXI - 25
    --- Invocation of the Devout - 1
    --- Laudation - 49
    --- Lesser Yaulp IV - 29
    --- Marr's Gift - 1
    --- Paean Rk. II - 44
    --- Preservation of the Iceclad - 3
    --- Purification - 1
    --- Shield of Brilliance X - 1
    --- Sorrow Rk. II - 1
    --- Umbrage Strike II - 20
    --- Valiant Deflection Rk. II - 1
    --- Valorous Rage IX - 1
    --- Vampiric Aura - 1
    --- Vie faded - 1
    --- Ward of the Scribe - 1
    --- Wave of Piety - 1

Produced by GamParse v1.0.3

I did not run out of mana on a max mana consumption set up.

That said the mana cost is a bit excessive, and over another 15 min for a full lesson burn I would have come close. It probably needs a closer look.
    sojero likes this.