Dont like 2022 TLPs? What do you want in 2023?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by KRYGZ, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Tweakfour17 Augur

Fast track to live, would be an interesting server for sure.
    Tlp usually release in May and the merge window for servers is June/July so the timing on this one would work out perfectly.
  2. Lamberduim Elder

This This This. It's the same for people who want TLP's to start in TSS or whatever terrible expansion. There are already TLP's in those expansions, or about to be. Play those, why do you want a TLP to start there, when there are already expansions there or about to be there? Classic/kunark ect are one time things. Can I goto old areas and level in classic zones? Sure, but they drop defiant gear, and other stuff that isn't around in those time periods. Oh I also get a merc too! Wow the classic experience with defiant gear and a merc. So classic.

Thats why people reroll every year, and the most popular server is the new TLP every year, to experience the game most people love during the time period most people love it. ((Except yelinak, that was crap. Mischief opened the gear drop loot pinata genie and it can't be put back in the bottle.))

If they want to have a seperate server to try it out, that starts in TSS, that's fine, lets see what the demand is for such a thing. So long as they have the classic/kunark start server as well ((With mischief ruleset at the very least.)) to go along side it.
  3. Triconx Augur

This is riddled with hilariously bad fallacies

Mercs in TSS? Lulz do you even play EQ?
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Predictability I would assume, along with the aforementioned Calander issues that exist.

No single issue is responsible for player population loss, there has not been a single TLP that has not continuously declined regardless of ruleset or expansion unlock speed, the most successful servers are not even always the ones that start of with the largest populations.
    The reasons are probably down to every TLP player has a certain set of expansions that they enjoy, and what ever the devs do & whatever ruleset is devised nothing is going to change which expansions players enjoy & those they have little to no interest in revisiting or playing for the first time, the amount of players interested in TLP to see the expansions they have not played in before is sadly a minority - people tend to like & enjoy what they know & which is familiar to them.

I don't disagree with you, I just explained how I think things are perceived, based on some of the insights I have gained from team comments.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Seems like launching two servers, one fast and one slow, is probably a good move.

Be nice to get another fast server more than once a year though.
  6. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

-All Classes unlocked in classic - Races are still tied to their respective expansions
    -New expansions unlock every two months - some expansions should be bundled together
    -Open world raid mobs respawn once every 30 days with lot's of loot. DZ's work normally except they only allow 25 players in the pick.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This has been asked for many times and there would be a lot of things missing from some of those classes that would break balance. They could do a level locked type server and start at GoD (or later) which would let those classes be in at launch.
  8. Crabman Augur

The balance? meaning class balance?

Jchan last answered something about it in that little interview thing they had a few years back saying that all classes from the start and a free trade tlp "went against the essence of a tlp" or something like that. They have done free trade and it was a huge success so maybe it could be back on the table? They made little changes in loot tables and tier lists along the way as needed. No reason to think they couldnt potentially do the same adding in 2 classes into classic with the races still being locked to expacs. Simple caveat saying that BST/BER will not have access to epics until the classes were originally released. But they already have fear/hate gear they could add back in, already have kunark and velious class sets to be added back in as well. Maybe add bst/ber to a few more items along the way and voila, its like they were always there.

All that said I highly doubt it will happen. Still feels like "too much" for the dev's to invest into a TLP based on what we've seen in previous years. But I really dont think balance is the issue as classic-god classes clearly arent balanced
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is just one of the reasons why having all classes during classic isn't liked. As for the free trade it was only a side effect of having the random loot because it wouldn't be good to have items rotting because no one present could equip them. In addition the random loot aspect (as well as increased drops) made it much harder for the RMT side to lock down drops.

Just saying that some classes won't have access to things until the expansion that the class unlocks isn't a good solution.
  10. Crabman Augur

So I am also partial to Classic-Luclin, but using the argument that there's already TLP's for those is the same argument we hate when people say "there's already a free trade server just start on mischief", or "theres already a classic server just start on agnarr." We like classic-luclin and we like free trade. Mischief about to hit TSS isnt it for us, and yelinak without the free trade wasnt it either. I am very much hoping for classic + free trade start "mischief-esque" maybe with a twist thats not randomized loot. If mischief players want to have their specific niche let it be the randomized part, not the free trade part. Free trade is the best thing EQ has done tlp-wise in a long time and people know it
  11. Crabman Augur

You cant just say "having all classes during classic isnt liked." It has never been a thing. It has been asked for by many people which makes me feel it may actually be liked if it happened...? Its not like a miragul server where people can say "ok, heroic start, true-box server was not well liked."

You second point is where I agree with you on a reason it probably wont happen. "My" solution is just ezpz say ok you can play this class but no epic for you sorry about it. You do not think that is a good solution. Here in lies the headache for the Dev's that they just dont really want to deal with.

We are both just speculating but I have always assumed the mischief rules were thought of the opposite of what you just said. The free trade was the first thing they decided to add and the random loot was the side effect to not have as many camps locked down... even though on non-free trade tlps those camps are all locked down anyway.

That said, I personally think the RMT issue people bring up against free trade is absolutely stupid. Everyone knows camps are still locked down by RMTers and loot rights are still sold left and right... But free trade gives the average non boxer a way to get great loot and still make some money back when its upgraded. Anyone who played on mischief knows how amazing the trade in the tunnel was all the way through Velious and how full the bazaar was all through Luclin and beyond. People still in PoR buying and selling raid loot, gearing up alts like never before is just awesome.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Right and it has never been a thing for a reason, in the post of yours that I quoted you even posted a dev reason that they don't like it which was it doesn't fit the theme. I would also find it strange that a developer would be happy releasing content in a state that chunks of it can't be completed instead of releasing at the normal time with those things being able to be completed.

As for Mischief it was announced as a random loot server not a free trade server which suggests what was the first idea. And if you think the RMT is bad on a server just think how much worse it will be on a server where it is easier to sell those items because you can just give them to a mule to sell.
  13. Crabman Augur

Oh the reason I quoted saying it wasnt on theme was just that they said free trade wasnt on theme and then less than a year later the released mischief. I agree, that is a good point about devs not wanting to release something "chunked like that. I think we are agreeing in that it wont happen. Sounds like the difference is that I wish they would make it so they can and it sounds like you wouldnt be a fan. Which is completely fine.

as for RMT, I do not think it was bad at all. It is ever present on the newest and most populated tlp. No ruleset so far has changed that. And the last thing I said was how amazing mischief was. Aradune was supposed to have 2 box limit which obviously wasnt a thing and that server had the most LR sale spams I think I ever saw. Mischief was great because of course there were some people who rmted and whatever but overall it was so much easier for a non big box / rmter whatever we want to call them... it was easier for a normal player to get the things they wanted.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I see the talk of theme being more towards the all classes being available as they have stated other reasons in the past for not wanting free trade and have not mentioned theme as one of those.
  15. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

You'll only be happy once you get a new level-locked server. No other server idea will ever be good enough for you. Admit it, Waring! You're not fooling me!
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am just offering a solution to all the requests to have all the classes open at the launch of a server.
  17. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Admit it!
  18. Crabman Augur

"Dreamweaver — 04/08/2020 5:48 PM

Question 13 - Can you please make one of the new servers an FV Rule set we have been asking for a long time.
    AbsorEQ — 04/08/2020 5:48 PM
    Well, to be fair only a few people are asking for it, they are just doing so with an admirable frequency... From my point of view, FV rules do not make good gameplay. Here's a question for those that say they want it, what if you could never transfer onto or off of the server, and it never merged with another? Is that still appealing?
    Prathun — 04/08/2020 5:49 PM
    Free trade rulesets bypass the primary game loop, which isn't ideal from a game design PoV."

Above is what I found in the 2020 discord "ask a dev" interview about an FV server.

Then not in an official eq post, but when Jchan went on a twitch stream with aLovingRobot she said at 1:23:11 about adding bst and ber to classic she said: "I mean, from a technical standpoint yes, but I am not sure there would be things for you to do." https://www.twitch.tv/videos/704467915?filter=all&sort=time

These are pieces of "dev responses" to either FV and all classes in classic that I can remember. Both are over 2 years ago and before mischief launched.

We've gotten the one that is "bad gameplay" and "bypasses the primary game loop" and it was a huge success, now its time to try out the one that is "from a technical standpoint, yes it can happen" and let the players decide if theres enough to do on those classes or not. (all of this of course still hoping for another free trade server because mischief was and is the best tlp ever)
  19. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Crabman has saved the thread! We're getting Beastlords and Berserkers with a classic start! I'm predicting it now!
  20. Installing Updates Lorekeeper

All races and classes from start (incl Wood Elf Beastlord and Froglok Monk).
    Server locks at some expansion before HoT.
    Randomized loot.
    Mercs from day one. These are needed on locked server.
    Relaxed (or no) Truebox.