Info Needed CPU 100 Percent Post Patch

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by SeriousBusiness, May 18, 2023.

1. RizzyRizzy New Member

Here's the thing, it's not the CPU though. I have the same issue and I'm running a 4080 and a 5800X CPU on a custom watercooled loop. I run 18 toons and before the patch it didn't even care or kick the case fans on most of the time, now with 18 my FPS regularly dips near 30, which is completely unacceptable on a system as overbuilt as mine. CPU Utilization lives at 100% now and I have no issues keeping it cool, they just simple don't know how to code properly so they've "improved" some system they should have left alone and by now should have reverted to. It's very frustrating I already know several friends who have quit over this issue since Daybreak doesn't want to listen. 1 Person alone cancelled 37 accounts, so I guess time to vote with our wallets.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

I guess they figured that people's rigs are a lot stronger now than they were 20 years ago so they could afford to increase the cpu usage a little bit. They obviously failed to consider the 18 boxers.
    /s
  3. kizant Augur

Asking them to minimize the performance impacts of new features is fine but requiring 18 instances to run smoothly on one system is a bit much.
    Windance likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

We, who have this issue are very very frustrated. It does not matter if we run 1 or 18 the fact is it was fine till the patch. They have even verified they expected this. So please stop with the sarcastic/ironic posts - it does not help anything.
  5. RizzyRizzy New Member

You do realize I could run 24 instances of Everquest on 1 system I built with an intel Core2Duo 2550k right? This game was written in 1997-1998, CPUs this powerful didn't exist on the planet and EQ was optimized to play on a potato even then so don't tell me 18 toons on 1 system now is a reach. The power of modern CPU vs Original systems is an order of magnitude higher.
  6. Angahran Augur

What 'new features' ?
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

So they arent allowed to make improvements to the game if it means upping the cpu usage even a little bit? Come on.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. kizant Augur

The css engine is really nice. I may actually make a custom UI once they're done. Text scaling on buttons will be huge. Maybe I'll upgrade this 1080p monitor once it's less of a headache to deal with that problem. The new engine also supports some GPU acceleration so people with good cards may benefit once they're done and get around to optimizing things. And it should be a lot easier to actually make big improvements going forward. For now though, I am still using a custom/default UI to avoid all the reported issues while they migrate things. If I couldn't do that then I prob would have to complain more about it.
    Barton and Windance like this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Went from 18% total CPU usage by EverQuest.exe six boxing to 30%-ish total CPU usage by EverQuest.exe six boxing. Same zones. Generally 10-15% higher overall (as a function of percentage CPU increase, looking at 70-90% increase since patch).

Specs:
    CPU: Ryzen 5950x
    Memory: 64GB
    GPU: RTX 3090

What it feels like may be happening is the unpolished UI code changes are taxing the game to the point where maybe the engine itself cannot compensate and seems laggy.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think the frustration isn't so much that new features caused a resource jump, it's that they KNEW this was going to happen and kept their mouths shut about it. They KNEW people were out there running 18 instances or whatever on a single machine and everything ran just fine and that this new UI was seriously going to screw that up.

They KNEW something bad was about to happen with regards to the CPU usage for a lot of folks...and they didn't say a damn thing about it.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Maybe. I doubt they knew.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

[IMG]
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sounds to me like they knew

Although I do give them some leeway. Just like when they removed the summoner's stones from the NPC in the lobby and I thought it ruined the associated quest so I made a big stink about it and one of the devs started doing research and discovered another dev had altered the quest to be correct but just never told anyone else.

So similar to the new UI showing white inventory windows - the fix is in the game but no one told anyone about it. Thank you again to the player Emilari for finding the work around which was a file that was still in the game after update. Almost like it was left on purpose.
    Fenthen likes this.
  14. kizant Augur

Expecting that a new product you introduce will increase CPU by a bit makes sense. That's what they 'knew'. They clearly didn't know it would be a large increase for some people otherwise they wouldn't be asking for more information right here in this thread.
    Svann2 likes this.
  15. RizzyRizzy New Member

The issue is they did testing and it was awful and they rolled it out anyway. There is a test server for a reason in this game. Quit launching unfinished products, get the launch right and people will like it, bomb it like this and you're losing 100s of players over something that literally offers 0 benefit in the current iteration. So roll it back until it's useful then launch it so it can support modern specs more easily (however windows scaling worked just fine for me and I had no issues before on my 4k displays)
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

That's literally their SOP now with anything and everything they do:
    - Put it on Test
    - Test players say "This is broken...don't put it on Live."
    - Put it on Live in a broken state, scramble around to fix it and then put out some mushmouth excuse as to why they put it out in a broken state
    Fenthen and Angahran like this.
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

I'm running about half graphics settings to high, no shadows, no advanced lighting, no post process effects. My spike while loading was about 25%. I saw dips as low as 6%, but it seemed to stay around 9-14% for about five minutes logged in. I had to log out, because I am about to leave on a cross country trip. I just wanted to see if there would be any issues I should be made aware.
    I don't know why we are getting different results.
  18. Angahran Augur

I think part of the problem is that people are seeing significant increases in CPU usage and they have only converted 4 windows. Even when people revert to the old UI the CPU doesn't revert to pre-patch levels.

What is it going to be like once they have fully converted the entire UI ?

How about getting an option in the eqclient.ini file that will disable the new UI engine and see if CPU usage drops back down ?
    Velisaris_MS and Fenthen like this.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

My theory is that it only went live because the live server players are supposed to be the testers. The crowd on Test server is much to small today for being sufficiently helpfull and most only play there for getting free benefits. DBG already lost hundreds of AllAccess subscriptions but that is calculated risk and the price for testing the new UI on live servers.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

You don't need Live server populations to test something when the enture population of Test is saying "This s**t don't work...don't put it on Live." The fact that they still released it in a broken state tells you that A) they don't care about player feedback and B) don't really don't seem to care if anything actually works these days as long as they stick to some arbitrary, made-up schedule.

They should be ashamed of themeselves everyday for this UI mess.