Cornering the market out of control.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by YellowBelly, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

HAHA! Yeah. Ok. Let's limit a need for people to spend $17.99 on a Krono by limiting them per account. That's a great idea for an 18 year old game in need of revenue streams.

All of this because people are enraged they have to go farm themselves. No one *NEEDS* anything in the bazaar. Availability of inventory is a convenience. You have to ask yourself what is your time worth to you? It's worth a lot of mostly worthless virtual platinum that is in large supply right now. If I wasn't playing a raid geared to the gills Ranger that has an easy time farming, $17.99 is a value I know I'd be placing on my time to pay going rate prices in the bazaar.

I myself have purchased millions in items to learn recipes for my Prize, I just replace it by making plat back from other means I'm willing to go through. God forbid people have to learn this aspect of the game. You might actually feel rewarded learning in stead of posting in pointless thread_353637 that no dev will ever address, maybe even finish reading.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Reynen and Caell like this.
  2. Funk Augur

You just gotta get out there and kill mobs! I had been waiting and waiting for my first EoK rare and finally got one. Luckily I was soloing and didn't have to roll for it'=) Was ultra happy as it was my first rare loot in era for the current expansion and was a slot I needed an upgrade in so that was the bonus'=)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Millianna Augur

Your arguably limiting subscribers fees because those who are new or returning and going to pack their bags leave when can not properly barter for basic gear they need.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I'm not at all saying you are wrong. However, how many new players are going to be working on getting all trades to 300+ and/or working on the Artisan's Prize (that they need PoP progression for) as soon as they hit 105? The PoP progression part of the question I would think is more discouraging to a new subscriber than bazaar pricing I am sure.
  5. Millianna Augur

It's a solution to the problem that would significantly help if implemented correctly. I am in agreement with you - DB will never implement such restrictions. But not for the same reason. They got mad last expansion when we asked for a level change EQ doesn't have the resources.
  6. Natal Augur

Just go and farm the stuff yourself. Most of the items required for leveling and the prize are from trivial mobs, so getting them just takes time.
  7. Millianna Augur

Most returning players do not have the ability to farm what they need. When they find out they need to go buy a krono they don't log back in
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

When I returned to EQ a few years back I quickly noticed that newbies or returnees was not the target audience for the bazaar at all.
    Some of the gear for the level 90-95 range is stupidly over priced on my server. A fresh level 92 isn't going to pay 30k for a RoF-earring in baz, when he can wait a few levels and spend marks of valor instead(or craft some himself). I think some of the prices are aimed at hardcore twinkers in specific level ranges.

Some of the collection-pieces are priced really weird too. 200-500k for a single collection piece, and at most you get 11 AA's. Not to mention EoK-rares, 30-40 kronos for a single item!! I mean you must really really really really HATE raiding, if you want to spend that much money just to get raid loot without raiding...:p

The time it takes to farm that much plat versus the value of what you get, seems way off...:eek:
    Funk likes this.
  9. Millianna Augur

Unless you're being pushed through gribbles you will not be able to get enough marks to get all the armory by 100 to buy a full set of gear. Screwlosesk your better of using marks for various augs.
  10. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Yes and no.
    Yes, a returnee isn't very likely to pay much for level 90 gear when he is going to be level 100 in a day or two (or a week or two either).
    When i came back though, i have spent quite a sum for HoT gear so i had somewhat of a basis to level up and gear up from there.

Prices very much depend on which traders are on.
    Most seem to have reasonable prices on the level 90/92 attunables (if they are on sale at all, which they aren't right now).

I am sure you have tried to farm your own Luclin's spy or violet ground beetle and similar?
    I went that route, for me and a friend.
    SOME of the collectibles simply ARE such rare finds that quite a few mains don't even have them.
    And especially as you get ready for a new expansion, you start to stockpile stuff that gives AAs, so you have some half-decent level to deal with the new mobs/zones.
    (obviously this is more true for melees and especially tanks than casters, but well...)

Don't exaggerate!
    Even our "most laughed at" wannabe-seller doesn't ask that many kronos.
    But yes, even 10 or 15 that are sometimes asked for like the cleric/druid/shaman 1hander are way too much.
    For me and most persons - but perhaps not some rich chinese noob or someone who's got a char on a progressionserver.
    (i hear that kronoprices there are insane and many seem to be in circulation)

This is true for the plat <-> Krono rate too, no matter where it is in absolute values.
    But the thing is that Krono are the only "value-retaining" item in the game.
    Leave the game for a year or two and your platinum only about buys you half of what it used to.
    Buy Krono for your plat, even at high price and THEN leave for a year, and you can count on selling it again for the then-adequate platinum.
    But yes:
    If you're thinking of "earning" your monthly subscription through buying Kronos with plat then you're playing a loosing game at the rate the prices for Kronos go up.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Tbh, the prices i mentioned was for earrings specifically(some years ago), most other slots were reasonably priced, it was just earrings that were super expensive for some reason :confused: , I ended up crafting some CotF-earrings which can be worn at 95(mats were super easy to get).

I Haven't got all the collectibles yet, and it is not a priority for me. I do know that some of them can be quite rare(I completed the sets from shards landing and evantil without baz). However Im still sure I could get one the rare ones much faster, than it would take me to farm enough plat to buy them from baz.

My "exaggerated" prices was from when EoK was new, people aren't going to spend many kronos on stuff that won't be much better than group-gear in 2-3 months. You are probably right that they weren't actually sold for those prices though. And yes we do have some rather "nutty" sellers.(Im still not sure if they are serious or just trolling :p )

You are absolutely correct that plat-inflation is insane, while kronos will always be worth at least a month subscription.
    It also seems like some kronofarmers are hoarding them a lot in the early stages of TLP-servers. Seeing that you can lock down specific drops and monopolize that market there. Some of our sellers must have that kind of players as their target audience...
  12. svann Augur

That doesnt mean they are spending that kind of money. It means they have bought and sold so many items that they have gathered a mountain of krono that they dont know what to do with. So if you had 1k krono wouldnt you think about spending 20 of it if it got you an upgrade? Better than letting it rot. And consider if eq was to close in 2 years. Then all their krono goes byebye. Might as well use it.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  13. heruthemonk Lorekeeper

Sages Golden Earring and Crush , have both been touted at 30-40 Krono , on AB, and people have paid it.
  14. Cleaver Augur

The problem isn't them. The problem is you. EQ is a free market economy. capitalism at its worst and best.
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I do not recall anyone asking such prices, but then i stay out of general chat most of the time too, because it is often unbearable.
    I cannot get myself to believe that someone were stupid enough to pay 3years worth of subscription for a single item either.
    People doing so would be ideal candidates for the Darwin Award...
  16. Sindaiann Augur

People have it and are willing to spend it. Why is their deal.

I've personally sold items for 28-30 krono and have saw others sell for 50ish.

Just as in life, something is worth what someone pays for it. Regardless of what others think. I do agree with you however that i would never spend that for an item, heck i wouldnt spend 1 krono for an item. That said im also cheap lol.
  17. svann Augur

Dont be a hater.
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

That isn't hate...
    Just stating the obvious.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If you put it that way, then it does make sense. But I guess not many players with that many kronos exists gamewide, I mean why would you try to gather that many kronos in the first place?

I can't imagine people buying that many kronos directly from DBG just to get 1 item, so it must be people who accumulated them during a long time by different means.
    My guess is that people like that, are playing the "krono-game" rather than "normal EQ", and are therefore buying them in the hope of reselling them later. That is, they consider a rare item a valuta itself, rather than an equip-able item. You know the type that buys a famous painting just to put in a bank-vault, but unlike a painting, the rare item will loose its value quite soon....Even to krono-hoarders a rare item shouldn't be worth that much.:confused: its a bad investment...

Are krono-hoarders that desperate to get rid of their kronos?
  20. Elthorien Elder

EVE online was the first to introduce a "krono" type item, they did well, it is stable part of the economy. Blizzard has added their own version for world of warcraft, but they micro manage and got serious controls, players can not manipulate the market there from what I have observed. EQ is the only one were crazy market exists