Constructive feedback on Mangler and Selo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slartibartfast Journeyman

I would like to echo that the unlock rate is too fast currently for Selos. Would like to see 2 months minimum, with 3 months being my preferred.
  2. Ceffener Augur

Only 2 people (sorry if I missed one) have said they like Mangler as is. Most are leaning towards Selo being fast unlocks, then copying Selo ruleset with slower unlocks. That gives everyone something that is newer/more unique, two different starting points, and faster/more casual people both get a server.

Then there are the people that keep bringing up FV loot, mercs, GoD locked, truebox, other ideas that DBG clearly had no intention of implementing for these servers.

Personally think the best option is two servers, same rulesets, with different unlocks. Especially when they can’t do all the things required to make an actual “hardcore” server or “Everquest classic” server.
  3. Torulf New Member

Ultra casual here. Recently resubscribed in anticipation of the new server.

I would definitely prefer faster exp, start in classic, and the longer it takes to unlock expansions the better. 1 month unlocks seems like another server for more hardcore players to tear through content.
    Evade likes this.
  4. Fhiele Augur

I'm ok with mangler, but you're not at 3, because I don't really like it. I just can't do 1 month unlocks. That's not casual. Mangler is more casual, if it had a better xp rate(preferably Agnarr-like xp), even with a larger xp death penalty and everything else as is, I'd convert to your 3rd "like" for Mangler.
  5. Doze Augur

If Mangler got the faster 1 month unlocks (no other changes) and Selos got the slower 3 months unlocks (and start in Classic) then the labels would fit better, but I am still not sure anyone would actually play on Mangler. As it is then I doubt I will be returning to play on any of them (as I have otherwise done with most of the previous Progression servers).
  6. Doze Augur

Also, if you wanted to seperate the Hardcore from the Casuals then maybe making it impossible to have characters on both servers on the same account would make it possible to achieve that?
  7. Shiba Journeyman

Nobody cares about your EQ history or your threats to quit permanently if the rule set isn't changed. What you asked for is a phinny clone.
    TheRedBandit likes this.
  8. Jezzie Augur

What they are asking for is pretty much "Mangler"
  9. yerm Augur

Mangler is slowed down xp and unlocks, clearly designed for the "do everything there is to do and in era" crowd, and for god knows what reason the people who want to do it all (sometimes repeatedly with alts) are trying to change selo instead.

Once people come to grips with the concept that wanting to do a ton of chase quests and raids and gearing and alts isn't casual, my hope is they go focus on mangler and dbg makes it work for them.
    TheRedBandit likes this.
  10. Dariuse New Member

For Selo, I think 8-10 weeks is enough for most expansions with a custom duration for specific expansions as necessary. I'm not familiar enough with post Omens content but have heard some expansions are lighter and others heavier, so maybe an appropriate adjustment per expansion.

For PoP/Ldon/LoY definitely not three months though. 10 weeks total and get on with life. I think 8-10 is appropriate for the launch with SoL as well, so that people returning to TLPs that haven't had a chance to experience the trilogy content can do so there as well before forging ahead.
  11. CrescensX New Member

Throwing out my 2 cents.

Rebrand both Servers(you can keep the names)

Selos - Racing Server
    2 Mo Unlocks
    Same Bonus Xp/Drops/Rares already stated
    Classic Start

Mangler - Normal?!? Prog Server
    3 Mo Unlocks
    Agnarr Xp
    Classic Start

I would leave off the rare increase on Mangler because of the extra time in each Era. Gives the hardcore guys a fast server to race to raid kills on with minimal downtime between expansions and the rest of us a pretty hard to argue with ruleset that works. I left out full boxing and FV loot because those seem like ideas they are not going to ever consider.
  12. Seripedus New Member

I prefer to start in classic
  13. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Because not everyone plays 20+ hours a week. It's as simple as that.

Selo is fine as the hardcore server.
    Why not just make the unlocks 3 days? It's an arbitrary number is all.

I'm pretty sure every casual person is waiting on to see if mangler will be worth it or not.

No real casual person is going to selo to enjoy being behind by a mile, they might as well just play on a live server and save the sub fee / krono.
    Dilf and Risiko like this.
  14. Risiko Augur

I have one group of friends that are excited about Selo (as is) because they have played Classic through PoP a number of times now.

They want to see the later expansions they missed in the past. I can understand that, and since they are my friends, I will most likely be there with them.

Then I have another group of friends that are disappointed with the Selo (as is) server because while they consider themselves casual (due to time constraints), they also want to play on a server that allows them enough time to level, gain AAs, AND gear up in each expansion before moving to the next expansion with out being behind the current open expansion on the server.

I completely understand their desires, and I know that for them, the Selo server just wont work, but at the same time the Mangler server will not work either quite simply because slower experience and harsher experience loss is a 100% deal breaker. If you have limited time to play a game, then there is no way you want that limited play time to produce lower results due to slower experience rates. It's jut not conducive for someone with limited play time.

Both camps, though, have no interest in playing on a Live server because they don't want to be behind the content on the server. The one thing that is unanimous among everyone I know is that being behind the curve on an Everquest server is NOT desirable in any way shape or form.

So, as it stands right now if nothing was to change about the new servers, one group I know will play on the Selo server while another group I know will simply not play at all.
  15. The Hated One Augur

Change Mangler to a box server with AoC's, FV loot and 2 month unlocks. You could make no other changes and it would be flooded with Top level guilds.
    Exek likes this.
  16. Bandzamakeherdance Elder

I think Selo's is fine. The only change I would make to mangler is increase xp from where it is.

Switch the names as mangler is going to be the casual server with longer unlocks and more opportunity. There is nothing casual about selos and that is fine. They just mislabeled them.

I'm still going to play on mangler because I enjoy starting in classic and like the longer unlocks now that I don't have as much time to play as I once did. It gives me plenty of opportunity to explore the content again without any rush to level up or get specific gear or do keying quickly.
  17. yerm Augur

I do not believe it is possible to make both of those groups happy in a single ruleset. I encourage you to convince your second friend group that they are not casual since they want to do so much and be on top of the curve, and convince daybreak that Mangler (not Selo) needs to be adjusted to accomodate the many people just like them who feel left out.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So you leave those who don't want to start in classic with nothing for 6 months, by which time the server is already established.
  19. ryby2012 New Member

MANGLER - I think it would make more sense for Mangler to not bring an experience penalty to the table. With the unlock rate being 3 months, this server seems to be geared more towards the "casual" gamer - the gamer who played EQ years ago and wants to experience more of what they love, longer than they've previously been able to. Having an exp penalty on a server that caters more towards casual players makes 0 sense at all - the only thing it does is make it harder for the casual player to progress. Remove or lessen the experience "penalty" on mangler and it will be much better geared towards the people that server is marketed towards - those with limited playtime who want to experience the glory days of EQ again, without the rush of super quick expansion unlocks and falling behind the bell curve.

The issue with the exp penalty and 3 month unlocks comes in the fact that there will undoubtedly be people who rush to grind out level 50 on day 1 and have nothing left to do until the next expansion unlocks. I don't think adding an experience penalty to this server is the right move, considering the majority of the people who would be grinding like that are going to be drawn more towards Selos playstyle with faster unlocks. It doesn't make sense to implement rules catering to 5% of the hardcore gamers while ignoring the other 95% of the server.
  20. Trotts Journeyman

This please, a non-TrueBox server with the new QoL improvements (AoC's, picks, ect) would be excellent, doesn't even have to be FV honestly but thats a huge plus too imo.
    jeskola, Exek and Golgoret like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.