Cases where game masters will not intervene

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Numiko, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Numiko Augur

I just wonder how it would have gone if Holly had logged on her old EQ account and found her Beastlord had disappeared for whatever reason....

Holly: "Hi, I cant find my old character on my account".
    CS rep: "Sorry cant help you there boss!"
    Holly: "Oh ok! I guess I'll just reroll!"

Somehow I do not imagine it would go like that.
  2. Aghinem Augur

Deleted characters: There are various mechanics in place to assure that characters are not deleted by accident. Let's be careful out there. Deleted characters will not be restored. Feel free to re-roll a new character.

I don't see anything in that statement in which it applies to hacked accounts. So, people are assuming Daybreak means squares when actually they are talking about rectangles. This is why no one will actually answer my question about A) Is this a common issue and B) Has anyone ever 'accidentally' deleted one of their own toons. Its because no one is dumb enough to go "oops, look at what I did." As I said in a post before this - unless Daybreak actually INCLUDES hacked accounts to this policy, I am not going to be part of this lynch mob that is forming. If they do include hacked accounts, THEN that will be a different story.
  3. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I think it more a "peace of mind" or safety net issue. Other posters have mentioned children and pets. Furthermore, what IF they can't distinguish your case from a "hacked" account?

Even though the odds of getting struck by lightning in a year is 1 in 500,000; it still helps to put up lightning rods.

If this is indeed a rare issue, I don't see why they would need to make this particular change. It is likely newbies or plat farmers spamming recovery requests (which should be ignored).
    Aghinem likes this.
  4. Jazfer Journeyman

this new policy is very unfriendly to new players. i remember a year or 2 ago when i started playing, i accidentally deleted an item with an aug in it, being distraught i put in a petition and was very friendly asking if they could help out. within 24 hours i had a gm replace my item and was very happy. i was happy that the game cared enough to help a noob out. well no longer. this game is starting to go down fast, more and more policy's like this will start to be put in place. and they obviously dont give 2 what we have to say about it, with their apparent "roll another toon lolololol" attitude.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  5. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Other legitimate non-hacked reasons for Deleted Character Recovery:

1. Mental Illness (i.e. Depression/Bipolarism) - A person might at that moment be in a bad place and delete a character. After they regain composure, they might be devastated that during their irrational episode they had deleted their character. Thus fueling a vicious cycle.

2. Real Life Fights - A family member, friend, roommate, or visitor might know that you like EverQuest and try to harass you by deleting your character.

3. Children/Pets - Self-explanatory.

These are legitimate issues and they shouldn't put a blanket prohibition on deleted character recoveries. They should put stringent restrictions - /playtime, level, limits per account, you name it. Keep a safety net.
    Hiladdar, Zarzac and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  6. Battleaxe Augur

Experience is not just time spent. Ten years spent doing the same exact tasks one did their first year is one year's experience done ten times. In a character advancement game IMO experience is properly awarded for advancing when you've met the previous level cap, and a new level cap with appropriate to the new levels content is released.

Some players acknowledge that they would have had fewer issues with exp changes if the experience to gain levels in TDS and experience granted in TDS had been raised. Had that been done level 101+ characters would not get good experience when power leveling lower level toons in old content while the high experience rates for level 101- characters in that content would have continued (and PLing low level characters would have just moved to TDS).
  7. Stewgottz Augur

Using their own verbage. DBG uses the phrase "game play errors" frequently. Hacked accounts/lost chars I don't think would fall under the "game play error" umbrella.
    As long as they can fix broken tasks/quests and other such technical errors I don't think this is going to impact many players in a negative way.
    Aghinem likes this.
  8. Reht The Dude abides...

character reclamation token coming to the SC shop soon?
    Hiladdar and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  9. Khat_Nip Meow

Firstly,
    When you're at Character Select, be mindful that you don't click Delete Character.
    If you do click Delete Character, don't click Yes to acknowledge it because at that point it will be gone. (Click No or wait 10 seconds and the confirmation box will disappear).

Don't share account credentials with anyone, ever.
    Don't use easy-to-guess passwords. (A long password with a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters is best).
    Don't use the same password on any other site anywhere.
    Don't click on unsolicited emails, their links, or their attachments without verifying they are legitimate.
    Don't download and run programs that you don't fully trust.

Do change your password on a regular basis. (Monthly or quarterly, etc.).
    Do practice safe browsing habits.
    Do keep up with latest updates for your system. (Windows updates, drivers, applications, security application updates and/or their definition files)
    Do run active and scheduled security software scans of your system. (Antivirus, Anti-malware, anti-exploit, anti-rootkit, etc.).
    Do use the in-game /safelock <password> function if you'll be stepping away from the computer and there is the potential of someone accidentally/deliberately messing with your stuff.

Additional layers of security that can be added:
    Use a router and its firewall abilities between you and your gateway. (Or in the case of an all-in-one modem/router make sure the settings are hardened or put the modem in full bridge mode and have a router/firewall between you and it).
    Turn off unnecessary Windows services.
    Turn off File Sharing if unneeded.
    Use a custom Hosts file to help keep malicious connections at bay.
    Add security extensions to your browser. (eg., Adblock Plus, Ghostery, NoScript, FlashBlock, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, RequestPolicy, etc.).
    If you browse with Google Chrome, uninstall Flash and Java from your system *unless needed for purposes other than browsing. (*Magelo Sync requires Java). (Otherwise, Chrome has built-in functions for both already).
    A little more extreme but effective is using a whitelist for what's allowed. (eg., Allowing only particular sites to run javascript, etc and disallowing all of the rest).

Being security-conscious is a practice that everyone should be following as it will greatly reduce the chance of your account being compromised for EQ and elsewhere.
    Numiko and Stewgottz like this.
  10. Triconix Augur

Welcome to EQ, where you pay a premium rate for an ever decreasing quality of product on various spectrums. From content, to play-ability, to general customer service, you get less but still pay the same amount!

Welcome to TDS, where you are forced to grind the same content over and over - more so than any expansion in history, including CoTF - to get what you want. (Does this not sound similar to what you are so adamantly against?).

Welcome to TDS where you only have 4 level appropriate zones for the highest level. Out of those 4 zones, not all items that you may need drop off nameds so you are forced to repeatedly do the same 4 tasks over and over and over again to get what you need! (again, isn't this what you didn't want?!).

Welcome to TDS, the smallest expansion in the history of the game not named Legacy of Ykesha (which really wasn't considered an expansion by many).

Welcome to TDS, the only expansion that forcefully tried to funnel people into small zones through various nerfs to experience.

Oh and btw, CoTF isn't 10 years old. It's initial zones aren't even 2 years old. It's final zones aren't even a year old (AH is 8 months old.) At it's quickest rate, EQ developed and released expansions every 6 months. AH/Void(raid) was only released 3 months prior to TDS....Wouldn't it still be considered current then? Yearly expansion...8 months old...hmmm.
    Hiladdar, Ferry-Tunare and Iila like this.
  11. Stewgottz Augur

The bigger fear I have is every 1 or 2 expansions now they will "nerf" exp in previous content so you have to buy the next one. Other games advance you to the next ride in their themepark through cinematics and yellow "!" and "?"s.

I'm sure one sentence will be quoted and taken out of context but w/e. Noone is right in this argument. All we can do is chose to support the decision financially or not.
  12. Warpeace Augur

Could at least add the protection EQ2 had to delete a character and have to enter the characters name to include correct capital letters.
    Hiladdar and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It seems reasonable that they would help under those circumstances unless they are contemplating closure. Perhaps the policy should be re-worded to say:

"For EverQuest I and EverQuest II: Deleted Character support will be limited to very special or exigent circumstances and each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Please be careful with your characters from now on."
    Geri_Petrovna and Hiladdar like this.
  14. Siddar Augur

Welcome to Sullen Zek rules EQ, everyone.

Saving money by not providing CS was the real concept behind a no rules server.
    Hiladdar and Iila like this.
  15. Aghinem Augur

Thank you - a point I've been trying to make; you just found a way to simplify it.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They already aren't rewarding missing currency from raids which are beaten but bug and don't give currency but do give a lockout.

We had 2 guildies get hacked and chars deleted that CS said to they couldn't restore, 1 quit and the other rerolled a heroic char which the guild are helping gear up with rotting raid loot. This was before this announcement, this has just made it official....not that coming from an outside website makes it official.

I'd love to hear what the mechanics are to stop a char being deleted, the only thing I know of is the yes confirmation, so what are the others?
  17. Iila Augur

Not having any EQ characters.
    Hiladdar, Nenton, Vrinda and 4 others like this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is getting a step closer with every stupid decision made, 70 days left on one account 71 on the other.

Time will tell if I'm still here in 2 and half months time, if nothing changes I won't be.
    Aaliyahkenz likes this.
  19. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Holy this just happened to a friend. Account hacked and char gone.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  20. Ferry-Tunare Augur