Call of the Forsaken NDA Lifted, Discuss

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fanra, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...the-forsaken-beta-nda-has-been-lifted.203727/
    There are many things to discuss, but I'll bring up my OCD pet peeve.

There is a new zone called "The Western Plains of Karana". Those who know EQ are aware that there is already a zone called "The Western Plains of Karana". Thus, we now have two zones with the exact same name.

There is no reason for this. The English language (with additional EQ only words like "Karana") contains over 100,000 words. Why pick a name that is confusing?

Several suggestions to change it to:
    • Karana West
    • Ethernere
    • Karana Ethernere
    • Ethernere Karana
    • Invaded Karana
    • Harrowing Karana
    • Harrowed Karana
    There are other suggestions as well but we are not permitted to quote Beta forum posts.

Besides my pet peeve, I'm sure there are plenty of other things in CotF everyone wants to talk about, so use this thread unless you feel the issue deserves its own :).

UPDATE: Oh, yeah, The Western Plains of Karana is also called in the game:
    • West Karana (Ethemere)
    • Western Plains of Karana
    • The Western Plains of Karana
    • Ethemere Tainted West Karana
    Which makes it even more confusing because which is the proper name? It might seem to be unimportant but what do I call the page for the zone on my wiki? :)
    JdarAivat and Leerah like this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Oh, is it Neriak Fourth Gate or Neriak - Fourth Gate or Neriak: Fourth Gate? All are used.

If consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, I guess I have a small mind. Either that or I'm not a hobbit but a hobgoblin. :)

UPDATE: Who was that guy who used to put his character's crotch in the face of the Devs? He got the forum title and in-game character title "The Censored" from SOE. Can I get "the Hobgoblin"? :)
  3. Rouan Augur

I'd differentiate by what the /who of a person in the zone yields.
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

If the worst thing people can say after beta testing an MMO expansion is that they don't like the names of the zones! I think we have a real winner here!
  5. Explicit Augur

Oh hey. Wizards, mages and necros are getting nerfed on patch day. Enjoy and discuss :3

Wizard - 20% straight nerf to Ethereals in a raid setting (they are removing the 2nd line that adjusted damage vs raid targets). Group DPS is not affected.
    Necromancer - 10 min re-use on Deathbloom
    Mage - Damage nerf to the 5th line of Salvo of Many

On top of that, you can all enjoy no new spells (or ones that are so bad you'll never touch them outside caster shield), no DPS upgrades of any kind and hardly any AA to use -- due to "staggered content releases".

Also, NO raid breastplates on launch. NO cult armor or new augs -- there's "group tradeskill armor".

Don't worry, there's a 2% min focus upgrade though!

I'm all for staggered content but not when the first installment is this god awful.

A positive might be that... it's something new at least and mercs can get AA and gear, about all I can really say.

Edit: Being a warrior, I'm probably the only class that might gain anything useful from the release of COTF. This is pending they have not nerfed new abilities into the ground yet
    Montag likes this.
  6. Minoc Journeyman

How do you zone in? How do you pick which version you want?
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I didn't test it, really. Just looked in to find stuff to put in my wiki.

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of complaints posted here soon. Because we all love to complain about everything!:)

That said, most of the game is fantastic and thanks Devs and everyone at SOE. I wouldn't spend all the time and effort I do on EQ if I didn't love it.
  8. TheOriginalShaard Lorekeeper

I tested it. I cancelled my account.
    Vivamort, Bauer and Reht like this.
  9. Explicit Augur

While it's easy to say people aren't ever really happy with an expansion during beta...I do believe COTF takes the cake for least-anticipated expansion (at least from the betas I have been involved in).

I can't help but get the feeling it's an experiment in how little they can release but still charge full price for (yes, I understand staggered content but the first installment should be rather sizeable)

In any case, I suppose all we can do as players is hope the next installment improves upon it.
  10. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Glad to hear SKs will no longer be the flavor of the month.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  11. Gragas Augur

Forgot berserkers,

Berserker - Lowered the min damage modifier (slot 2) of Brutal Discipline (36529-31) to 595/610/625.
  12. Explicit Augur

Oh wow, didn't even see that =/ Talk about unneeded
  13. Cone head Augur

Can anyone provide info on the following?

AA per class and a one liner for it.
    Spells per class and again, 1 liner.

AA for mercs, I run a Healer A5 as im silver. Anything good and can my merc get any AA while im silver?

I really don't want to waist 5 x Krons on this or buy it if the progression has any mechanics.
  14. Bauer Augur

15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

16. Zorasis Lorekeeper

I think its because everything is so bad this time around, that people dont really know where to start. Everything seems untested and unfinished, and did i mention its just a bad piece of work from the devs this time.
    placentadinner likes this.
  17. Morgoth Elder

god awful. Going to save me a pile of $$
  18. Forcallen Augur

Talk with your wallets, dont buy this crap!
  19. --Voodoo-- Augur

Didn't play a lot, and only played a mage, but from what I saw there's nothing much worth getting excited about.

AAs: Nothing really new. Bind and Identify AAs. Few more levels of stuff we already had. Didn't pay much attention.

Spells:
    Shield of Fate: Didn't really use it. My playstyle I rarely get aggro. Might be decent.

Remote Relentless Servant: Free-target version of RS. Sounds interesting, annoying as to use. Doesn't work with multi-bind or hotkey macros. I suppose if you normally stand at such distance that it takes your RS pets more than a second or two to reach the mob, and you don't mind using the mouse, it could add a tiny bit.

Malosen...something or other...: Basically Iceflame with an added malo proc. If you're fighting stuff where you really need malo, it's probably not reliable enough. There was talk of changes, and I haven't looked in a few days. Decent as is (or possibly, was...).

Some conjuration-based magic bolt: Never used it.

Merc AAs: In a few hours or so of fighting, my merc earned about 70% of a point. I forget even what was available. Nothing particularly exciting, but what looks to be small but useful upgrades. I'll add detail later if no one beats me to it.

Merc gear: Never got any of it, links I saw the stats were very low (like 30 mana, 2 mana regen). However, I think it scales by level so what I was seeing might not be accurate.

Zones: Mostly seemed interesting. Lot to do in WK and easy to get around. 4th gate seemed pretty lifeless (and not just due to the undead), but I could only explore the fringes. Warfront looks alright, seems to be mostly a heroic mission hub. Dead Hills I didn't get to see much of. Mix of undead and live in the missions, but they looked like they'd be fun in a group.

So in short: Zones = good. Everything else = meh.
  20. Eckish Lorekeeper

So, is the mercenary gear its own set? Or can you also equip mercs with any class appropriate items?