Black Screen after Server Select Screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Neimo, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Neimo New Member

Hello all,

So I just installed EverQuest yesterday to start playing the game I loved so long ago. The first time I logged in to the game and selected my server, I received a pop-up error from EverQuest that said “ResetDevice() failed!”. After I clicked the “Ok” button it kicked me out of the game and closed it. I tried to login a few times after that and after I select the server it just goes to a black screen and nothing happens after that.

I contacted tech support and tried the recommendations they provided me and nothing fixed this issue.

I even tried reinstalling the game and when I did, the first time I logged in I got the same “ResetDevice () failed!” error. Every time after that, like before there were no more error pop-ups and it just went to the black screen again.

I told tach support about the above error and they weren’t able to provide me with any help and suggested I post on the forums, so here I am.

Any help would be very much appreciated so I can get back to the game I’ve missed so much.

Thanks.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sorry I answered you in the bug forum but this is not a bug

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/resetdevice-failed-error.280208/#post-4095532

Possibly Direct X 9C related. Sometimes the game needs that specific Direct X version, not the latest one that is in your computer

Easy to download and see if it fixes it thru here which is the June 2010 version and the one that might be needed
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Another note is from previous posts you might be able to add this into the eqclient.ini
    GraphicsDLL9=EQGraphicsDX9.DL

However I have not seen any one respond that it will take the place of the other Direct X correctly and fix it
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

4. Neimo New Member

Ok so I downloaded the DirectX and installed it and then restarted my computer. It still gets stuck at a black screen after I select the server.

I don't know if this is relevant or not but I notice that when I start the game up and it goes to the server select screen it's in fullscreen mode. After I select the server it switches to windowed mode and then black screen.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

yes you are right on the full screen/windowed mode being a factor

that can also cause this issue

Alt Enter should switch between Full and Windowed mode
    Neimo and Treage_Imminent like this.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Run "OptionsEditor.exe" and check the screen resolution. It has to be compatible with your screen.
    Neimo and CatsPaws like this.
  7. Neimo New Member

My screen resolution is currently set to 2560x1440p for my monitor but that option doesn't exist when I check the options editor. Do I have to change my screen resolution to one of the available ones in the options editor then? If so, is there one that works better than others?
  8. Neimo New Member

I ended up trying to put my screen resolution to 1600x1200 and I did the same in the options editor but I can't even get to the server select screen. It looks like it tries to load up on the screen but won't :(
  9. Covennx Augur

Can you try running the app as an admin? Right click the shortcut --> Run as Administrator
    Neimo likes this.
  10. Neimo New Member

Ok so this worked thank you so much! When the game loads up to the server select screen it’s in full screen mode. So I switched it to windowed mode before I selected the server and was able to login to the game. After I was logged in to the game I just switched it back to full screen mode and everything was fine

Thank you all for your help, great community here :)
    Treage_Imminent and CatsPaws like this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So glad you can play now!!!
    Neimo and Treage_Imminent like this.
  12. Knifen Augur

Ive had this issue forever, running as admin and all other directx didnt fix it. Basically have to do what your doing every time but different route. Before i open said game i open eqclient.ini file. change the line item for WindowedMode=XXX to WindowedMode=1. Save then run the loader.

Once I get to the character select screen I hit alt-tab before loading in. If I dont go to full screen before loading in my ui is all goofy and have to manually fix.

Oddly enough this only happens when GINA or Mumble is running with the overlay. Without those it all works perfect. I can load them up later but then I dont get the overlay.
  13. Hirbow Augur

I also had the same error with my brand new Alienware Laptop with Win10.

I've tried everything listed above, the only two things that worked for me were the following:

1) Go to Eqclient.ini file and make sure you start with: WindowedMode=FALSE
    2) You have to start in window mode and get to character select screen with it. Once there you can Alt+enter to go full screen mode no problem.
    3) When you log out, you need to make sure you go back to Windowed mode. Else, next time you click your EQ windows icon, you have to make sure you're WindowedMode=FALSE again.

4) Perma fix for me (if you wish to play with full screen mode) was: Right click EQ.exe windows icon and go to Properties-->Compatibility-->Disable fullscreen optimizations. (This allows me to not have to do WindowedMode=FALSE each time..)
  14. Bloodstalker New Member

i get the black screen after hitting play, but only when i try to go to the test server, i can log in and play just fine on live servers...
  15. Soulbanshee Augur