Best TLP server is... Pop locked, No Box, MEGA Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Dec 1, 2020.

1. MMOer Augur

This is still the best idea. A yearly fresh server that rolls into and feeds a pop locked server before the next years fresh one comes out.
  2. Trevalon Augur

I'm gonna post this in every thread about "best server"

Best Server:

8-10 Week unlocks
    Truebox
    Full Instance Reset (6.5 days)
    Selos EXP
    Selos Drop Rates
    Selos Faction
    Start Wherever (Though a Kunark or Luclin start might be cool)

Thats the basis of the most populated server.

Faster unlocks means that the burnout isn't quite so bad, even at 10 weeks it would be 2 weeks faster and that last 2 weeks always is the hardest. I don't think it should be less than 8 weeks though, as 8 weeks seems like a really good amount of time.

Selo's EXP/Drop Rates means people are more invested in making alts and actually leveling them cause its not so painful to level. This also combats the "AOE" problem (That some have, I don't). It won't get rid of it, but if EXP is much faster people would use it for less time and would be able to have max characters faster and not need the service as much. Everyone wants leveling to be faster! That's why bonus EXPs are so popular and millions are on. Id wager this is the number 1 thing almost everyone I know would want out of a TLP. There is always that one or two people who live and breath EQ and play 80 hours a week and they want it slower so they can be better than everyone else, but that is by far the miniority IMO.

Truebox, while definitely flawed, needs to be in there or the server turns into the mess that is Rizlona. While it doesn't prevent the few mass boxers, it also doesnt let EVERYONE have 6 boxes. Say what you will about Truebox, it does HELP overall in keeping the mass boxing down from past servers like Ragefire/Lockjaw.

Full instance reset is VERY IMPORTANT. By far the most common reason I heard that people left Selos and came over to Mangler was that the shorter instance lockouts meant they had to raid like 6 days a week to keep up and it drove them to quit/leave the server. You could argue that players COULD police themselves, but you and I both know that if you give the try hards too much then they will barrel over everyone else and were all force to raid 6 days a week. Keep the 6.5 day lockout and it makes it MUCH nicer. With the increased drops you don't need to raid anymore than that.

Where to start doesn't really matter to be honest. Start in classic is fine.

This is your basis for the most populated server ever IMO.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Leifloaf New Member

Agnar would be a nice home for new players, or those who want a fresh start and who want to play PoP era locked IF they allowed mult-boxing AND/OR allowed a power boost to level 60-ish or so. There is just nobody to level up with nor anything worthwhile on the auction house to help gear up as it is right now.
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

Most of what you suggested doesn't sound too bad, but Truebox should be dropped at a pre determined point, DoDHish. Also, what mess are you referring to on Rizlona?
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Trevalon Augur

Perfectly fine with Truebox only lasting through GoD or OOW, seems like a decent place to turn it off IMO.

Sorry, mess shouldnt have been the word as that was the entire purpose of Rizlona. I meant more the mess of mass boxing - which is a problem on true box servers, but no where near what it was on the non-truebox servers. I do not miss the days where quite literally the vast vast majority were all running around with 3+ toons. Truebox doesn't stop everyone and there will always be people who break the rules, but it stops a large portion.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good suggestions.

As Tweakfour17 said I also think Truebox switched off at DoDH on TLP is ideal and have argued for that extensively (it approximates what & when something similar happened on live when the 1 client per PC restriction was dropped).
    I'd also like to see F2P enabled once VoA unlocks on the server (approximating live again).
    But yes the server starting with Truebox would be ideal, if the devs decide DoDH is far too early for TLP then at the absolute latest it should be gone when SoD unlocks, if Truebox were staying for the whole duration then many players would not even start on it now.

I agree with a lot of the logic in your follow-up comments, good insight.

I started making alts but eventually came to the conclusion that maintaining more than 1 team was unproductive (I have 3 boxed for most of my time on Phinigel). For alts I would say a box crew would be as many as you would want on TLP or risk burnout, so on TLP anything other than my main box crew serves only as mules for bazaar or carrying tradeskill items, I went as far as levelling up a bunch of priests, one of each deity, to 30 for gem imbuing purposes that I also use as mules.

Even if the XP were better I think I would stick to one team if I ever make the TLP journey again.
  7. Ketzerei84 Elder

Doing this would be great sure, however... this should also allow for transfers OFF to TLPs that are at a later point in expansion, which going forward would be all but the feeder TLPs - servers starting with GoD unlocked, allowing xfers from the PoP locked mega server to the fresh, starts-at-GoD TLPs. So twin TLP launches but one ruleset: feeder into PoP lock. second ruleset: starts at GoD, xfers from PoP locked allowed.
  8. code-zero Augur

I am wondering if true box can't just be turned off? If that's the case then a server that ends at PoP and then migrates to a new server starting in fresh in GoD
  9. Ketzerei84 Elder

If it can't then there's the win for everybody: feeders into the pop locked mega server are truebox, and so is agnarr. And then GoD-starting tlps allowing xfers off agnarr will not have truebox code.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Truebox is not like a switch on/off thing but can be removed - it requires server downtime, so on a monthly patch downtime for example - at least that's what I gather from the stuff I've read here.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Montag Augur

Except Agnarr, the only era locked server, is the most successful and populated of any it's age or older (other than maybe phinny?) and much more populated than many that are even newer than it.
  12. Machen New Member

That's not really saying much when there isn't another AoC-enabled truebox server as old as Agnarr other than Phinny.

Also, if you look at Mangler's population right now, a year and several months after pop launch, compared to Agnarr's population a year after pop launched, there is no comparison. Way more active population on Mangler than there was on Agnarr at the time.
    Montag likes this.
  13. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yeah and the only other tlp besides Phinny thats older than Agnarr is Ragefire and from what I can tell it has more population than Agnarr does as well.
    Skuz and Machen like this.
  14. code-zero Augur

I keep forgetting, seriously what is a MEGA server again?
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It's in the first post. I can't explain without getting political.

EDIT: See the reply from the OP on the first page also.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Montag Augur

I'm glad mangler is doing well. I'm just saying so is Agnarr even though so many said it was a dead per doomed server.

Also, I just gotta say, Mangler maybe be holding on well for now but it's days are numbered. Agnarr will certainly outlast it.
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

If Mangler loses 1 guild per expansion based just on their progress site (which we all know all guilds dont post to) it won't die until The Burning Lands in Dec 2023. Which I guess is a number, but is also 2 expacs from live so I doubt people will play for 5 years and quit at the finish line.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Montag Augur

I hope you're right and it makes it to live, which I guess some TLP players want? But I consider a kind of undeath.
  19. Koshk Augur

Given the popularity of PL'ing and racing to max level, I'm actually shocked there isn't an NPC where you hand it a krono, and it bumps you to max level. Or +40 levels. Or whatever. Trading literal time, for literal money.
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

....I don't even know what to say to this..What do the other portion of the TLP players want? some era lock? Seasonal reboot ? We're supposed to just pretend that xxx expansions don't exist? The whole point of TLP is to burn through all the expansions to live on a faster scale than they were originally.
    Skuz likes this.