Best TLP server is... Pop locked, No Box, MEGA Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Machen New Member

Sure, if by "no one" you mean about 500x more people than are playing on our current locked server. When was the last time it was above low pop?
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The "Numbers are too big" is absolutely the most stupid argument related to EQ in existence, everything is relative, "Time to Kill" is the only real way to decipher the power curve because like versus like the game has gotten a bit harder but not massively so, mostly it is about player ability variety & complexity.

A group of level 50's in a dungeon killing level 47-53 mobs are slightly slower in pace compared to a group of level 100's in a dungeon killing level 97-103 mobs but not massively slower - but the "bigger numbers" really don't make a massive difference at all, overall pace of EQ has gone up some but it is more like 10% faster not 1000% faster.

That "Same Feel" you are talking about has absolutely nothing to do with the numbers the game is using, it has everything to do with the open-ness of early EQ.

The quest/task oriented staged-flagging Progression-systems that came in at an embryonic level with Planes of Power for raiders and were fully fleshed out in Seeds of Destruction with the Mercenary/Partisan achievement for groupers which has been at the core of the game since is largely what made the game less "open".
    Another big change was how the inter-dependence between classes was shifted so each class was a little bit more independent - things like players transporting other players was eroded in Luclin with the spires & later was all but removed the need for with the Plane of Knowledge Book portal hub system, after PoK porting was more a luxury or class perk than a necessity.
    When corpse recovery was dropped another niche inter-dependency was removed.

Early EQ was somewhat un-directed, post Luclin EQ became progressively more directed and less aimless wandering / discovering with a few flavour quests thrown in for atmosphere that were not necessary or vital to your character progression.

TL;DR There are indeed two kinds of EQ playstyles dictated by the eras of the game, but the "big numbers" cried about are completely irrelevant to that.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

ESO even defaults numbers off, because the numbers arent that important. It's how fast your hp and their hp is dropping.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. jeskola pheerie

Your statement is false, as many people play on live. Also, locking the server does nothing to fix your complaint. You get plenty of your rat-killing fix every year when you re-roll on the next TLP. Let everyone else progress.
  5. Triconix Augur

Last I checked, live servers were mainly killing dragons, drakes, worms, and wyverns.

Aren't the almighty planes of the gods littered with spiders, bugs, and rats? Oh boy! That must feel so god-like killing bugs still.
  6. ikarinokamii Elder

100%. this should be the next TLP. server. I
  7. Manafasto Augur

I hope EG7 announces anything new with EQ sometime soon.
  8. Thez69 Elder

imagine locking a server at 85 but not including one of the best expansions, underfoot

thatd be as lamebrained as locking a server at 65 but not including one of the best expansions, gates
    Genoane and Machen like this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I agree with you on your first point, they actually already did the second one with Agnarr
  10. Thez69 Elder

yea...that was the joke, forrest
  11. Brunlin Augur

I would like to see them make Agnaar a free to play server. It would allow new players to have a classic free to play server that would like to try it out before having to throw down a sub. It would also make Agnaar a popular server. Live servers are a much different experience than classic servers. So this would give free to play players choices in what to experience.

I do agree with OP in that they should have a new server that rolls out to where Agnaar stopped, (this is where the popularity of the classic server declines). Afterwards as Op has said they can drop all the toons on Agnaar and than reset the server.

Each cycle can have different achievements and rewards that are account wide. Some cycles could have different rules such as pvp, or a limtied time free trade ( with trade goals for achievements, but when the server resets these chars will drop on to agnaar with its ruleset in place. This would allow them to satisfy the minority whims on certain ruleset while not creating a unpopluar permanent servers that are around for more than a year.

If in the future they would want to create another expansion lock server that is permanent than they should choose another place to locks it, most likely Seed of Destruction.

At the very least I really would like to see agnaar become a free to play server with all the limitations of free to play, 4 chars slots limited AA's etc. I believe it would make the server popular and a place to hang out while we wait the next tlp server to drop our money on and than abandoned around pop.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah the "Seasonal" classic to PoP with a reward system akin to how Diablo 3's Seasons worked might be an interesting option for EQ Players who prefer to remain in the era before PoP, heck I might even be tempted to run through a few seasons on a server like that myself after Phinigel is in live status, were the season rewards useable on any live status server and they are interesting enough.

As far as Making Agnarr a F2P server, I can see why the players would love that, so long as it is the regular F2P rules and has ALL the normal F2P restrictions I am fine with that, heck I think ALL TLP should allow F2P once they reach Veil of Alaris anyway but Agnarr is a bit of a special snowflake being locked at LDoN.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How would this stop the drain when people just leave for the latest TLP server? Sure there would be a lot of toons on the server but I don't see many playing on it once they move to the latest TLP server. There is already a locked server for people to play on if that is what they want.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

This is something we've kinda talked about. Apparently, they view Quarm (the only seasonal type server they've done) as a failure. The way EQ is set up, especially early expacs, there is no real reason to not join the biggest guild besides not wanting to. If you add a tangible benefit to being the "best" guild then it would make the situation worse.

I don't have a real solution for this, but on paper I am a fan of 'seasonal' servers, with time/content finish lines that give you a /claim, that finish and feed into another server.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would not necessarily wish to tie many rewards to raid achievements, more along the lines of things you would do in groups, I always felt that the "grouping era" was the classic era & raiding was not as primary a concern as it became later on.

For examples:

play from Classic to pop during season 1 - reward 1 (based on having enough log ons to justify that, something like at least twice a week)

kill at least 1 named in each zone during season 1 - reward 2

something along those lines.
  16. Auxero New Member

I would be on Agnarr if I could play silver there. Im too casual for the TLP race. Agnarr was a race until it locked even. If you are a slow consumer of content and prefer the early years it works. Expansions releasing annually or semi-annually would also work. Pre - TLP on live Ive always been behind and leveling through content that is many years old, furthest Ive gotten even today is House of Thule.
  17. TigoalBitties New Member

People can say whatever it is they want about Agnarr for what it is and presents. At the end of the day, there's no replacement for an A+ gaming community on a server. Nothing but positive vibes coming from over yonder.
  18. Lekota New Member

I started playing EQ when Planes of Power was originally released way back when :). I never had the enjoyment of learning the game from the early years. I have played on just about every server this game has to offer, and while the challenges are still there, I have found that having everything handed to me by the 'game' is not very enjoyable.
    I love the PoP era. The quests for keys into zones that are locked, the community feel ----everyone is after the same thing, and willing to help out those who ask for help, whether it be with a simple question about where something is, by coming along and helping you finish your quest. No matter what the level differences are.
    I have tried some of the other progression servers and found that the community on those servers are rude, inconsiderate, greedy, and only thinking of themselves. No, I am not crying because I can't get groups or help. I am disgusted by the absolute greed and inconsiderate behavior of some on those servers.
    I have only been playing on Agnarr for about two months and have found that it is one of the kindest, most considerate and helpful communities within the game at this time. It reminds me of when I first started playing EQ; at that time the community feel was positive, helpful, hopeful, and full of fun.
    I would not want to see another PoP locked server. As already mentioned, those of us who enjoy this era are happy on our server. I believe, like others, that opening up another PoP locked server would take away from the enjoyment that we already have here.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. MMOer Augur

I typically do not play past Luclin or PoP. locked servers fit best for me.

Judging by how the population goes down so much over time I'd say most do not.

This is why we should have a locked at least once per year servers that merge into a MEGA server and then we get the permanence of our characters and efforts while being able to enjoy classic.

Also less of this maddening uncertainty. Is a server coming out? Is a server coming out?

I've never understood why EQ is so cursed with management that can not see past their noses and make the worst choices for both their player base and their pockets.
  20. Febb Augur

We don't need a locked server once a year. Maybe after they sit in their locked state a few months but not once a year.