Berserker game mechanics - 90% health

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Brimir, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Jonny Panic Augur

Zerks learn to control their rage to some degree, this is true. However, rage is what makes a berserker a berserker as opposed to a warrior with an allergy to sheet metal and a twohanded weapon fetish.

A number of Berserker abilities are designed around the "victory at any cost" Berserker mindset, so these abilities aren't that unusual. As for my position, it's common in fiction for berserkers to really lose it once they taste or smell blood... they're usually savage fighters already, but "see red" or "black out" and fly into a rage where their welfare doesn't matter as long as what they want destroyed is destroyed.

The wikipedia page for "Berserker" actually covers my point pretty well.

"I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,
    Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,
    Those who wade out into battle?
    Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle
    They bear bloody shields.
    Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.
    They form a closed group.
    The prince in his wisdom puts trust in such men
    Who hack through enemy shields."

"men asked Halfdan to attack Hardbeen and his champions man by man; and he not only promised to fight, but assured himself the victory with most confident words. When Hardbeen heard this, a demoniacal frenzy suddenly took him; he furiously bit and devoured the edges of his shield; he kept gulping down fiery coals; he snatched live embers in his mouth and let them pass down into his entrails; he rushed through the perils of crackling fires; and at last, when he had raved through every sort of madness, he turned his sword with raging hand against the hearts of six of his champions. It is doubtful whether this madness came from thirst for battle or natural ferocity. Then with the remaining band of his champions he attacked Halfdan, who crushed him with a hammer of wondrous size, so that he lost both victory and life; paying the penalty both to Halfdan, whom he had challenged, and to the kings whose offspring he had violently ravished..."

I'm sure plenty more accounts can be found in fable and fiction to state the case.
  2. Gragas Augur

Last time I checked I played a EQ berserker.

Here is the class description from EQ not Wiki:

Berserkers are fearsome fighters who possess inordinate amounts of strength and bravery. They lunge into battle swinging large two-handed axes or hurtling throwing weapons at their prey. They carry huge axes because of the damage they deal and for the fear the weapons instill in the enemy. As great as berserkers’ skill with a two-handed axe is, their skill with throwing weapons cannot be overlooked. As they become more powerful, they can infuse their rage into various thrown weapons, causing dire effects when they strike a foe. With the mastery of this innate rage, the berserker also gains the ability to become “berserk,” a deadly state which causes a great amount of damage as a berserker’s blade swings with frenzy.

Don't see anything in there about injuring myself to be able to disc.

If you want to discuss history based facts, give me any historic reference to a "Cat like being being a berserker", until then would rather discuss EQ zerkers that don't use shields.

As far as learning to control the rage.

Check this out.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2798

Specifically this part:

Trial of Fervid Rage

You say, 'I am ready.'

Keras McArik says 'Eager one, aren't ye? Good to see, but do not underestimate how volatile our rage is. In me youth, it snuck up on me and in a blind rage, I had slain me sparring partner. It was then that I knew I was different and shouldn't keep close friends until I'ad my rage under control. There are some, though, that will [never control the rage].'

You say, 'Never control the rage?'

Keras McArik says 'Well, you see, the fire that drives the rage through us and into our muscles and minds can burn out of control in come creatures. I have encountered several in my travels, aye. They are merciless and blind to the rage, which makes 'em poor at strategy, but deadly in combat. Ye will have to [face one] of 'em so that ye may learn how dangerous ye can truly become if ye do not complete these trials and master the rage. I do 'ope ye appreciate this lesson.'

You say, 'Face one?'

Keras McArik says 'This creature is unlike any you have seen wandering the lands. this beast is fearsome and ethereal. It strikes out with its rage without thought or care. Ye must learn to recognize this type of beast if ye are to learn how to master it and yer own abilities. It will try to disguise itself so ye don't recognize the fury it holds within it -- it has an [enraged essence] within it and I want ye to bring it to me. Remember, ______, do not be fooled and always be aware.'

You say, 'Enraged essence?'

Keras McArik says 'I will give ye no more hints. Ye must seek this creature out alone. Look far and use your mind and brawn to beat it. Yer noggin will give ye an advantage o'er this un.'