Berserker game mechanics - 90% health

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Brimir, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Brimir New Member

Many of the berserker's abilities now require the players health be below 90% before the ability can be activated. I have never understood the reason why this was implemented and what the lore is behind it. Therefore i am hoping that it can either be removed or the 90% health function be changed.

Before any of the AA's are activated i use the ability bloodfury it provides a buff plus it lowers our hit points so we can activate the AA's. Before this ability we would target our self and hit volley to get our hit points below the 90% mark.

That we later on got an "ability" to lower hit points in order to activate an ability seems .......

The change, best scenario would be that the 90% part of our AA's be removed. It only makes playing a zerker aggravating it adds no fun factor or enjoyment to the class in any form.

Removing does not affect dps output it is simply a change to make life a little easier.

If the Devs want to stick to the mechanics of having to activate an ability before the others (with the 90% health limit) can be activated then make it based on the buff we get from bloodfury. It will still lower our hit point but if you get a heal (on a raid) it does not affect activating the ability.

I should not say this word as another person though of it and found it to be something they wanted to add to the game. But i find the 90% limit on berserker abilities stupid.

Brimir Skaalbringer
    Wind of Tranquility
    AB

Ps.
    This is a post about "playability" and game mechanics, not asking for more dps. Therefore keep any such comments in another thread. Any other ideas as how to improve the class that does not directly affect dps would be nice to see.
  2. Fury Journeyman

This seems like a reasonable compromise.
  3. Slasher Augur

I suggested they make the AA/Disc that require 90 % lower you to exactly 90 % when clicking them and was told that is not possible in EQ right now.

Now I don't know about you guys BUT it seems possible in theory. You use a non spell/non melee ability. First you take the persons HP (120k buffed) now you calculate 10% of that HP (12k) Now you have that non spell/non melee ability do 12k damage whenever you click the AA/Disc.

Issues ? Finding something that bypasses glyph spray and runes.

I have to ask why are we taking a 30k nuke + 3k dot essentially taking 30% of our HP in the middle of AOE/Rampage heavy events when we only NEED to take 12k at best for the best geared zerkers and WAY less for lower geared ones.

I also HAVE to ask why is bloodfury 30k ? who let Elidroth get away with this in beta ? A 30k nuke wont be 10% of our HP for quite awhile so why is it 30k ? Can't it be 5k and we have to hit it a few times ? Why 30k ?
  4. Phrett Augur

.... yep, tired of chopping off my own foot during every raid. I'm running out of feet.
  5. Gragas Augur

More than likely 30k so it does not have to be upgraded for a while, also with Wild Rampage in it's current form whether you have 120k hps or 90k hps you are going to die if you catch an unlucky round regardless.
    They removed the 90% requirement for activation from Vicious Spiral, not sure why it can't be done for Frenzied Resolve, Fearless Frenzy or Augmented Frenzy.
    I guess someone thinks you got to have some type of detrimental effect to activate a disc if you are melee for some reason (a paradigm that needs to go away), but none if you are a caster besides increased mana cost.
  6. Phrett Augur

If they would just remove the requirement from Augmented Frenzy then I'd be happy... that's the one where using bloodfury to refresh gets damn risky. And bump up Augmented Frenzy again... cough
  7. Brimir New Member

Just to clarify, this mechanism would be very detrimental to the game play of any class not just berserkers and i truly hope no other class would get anything that resembles what we have.

The problem
    Under a normal raid or group setting the following scenario will present it self.
    You need to burn a mob be that raid boss or group named.

So you make a macro to make things easier on your self
    -self damage below 90% health
    -activate AA ability
    -activate disc
    -activate stacking AA ability

Now between self damage and activating the first AA ability someone AoE a heal, group healer cast a group healing spell or something which simply ruins the burn attempt.
    The 90% health rule is only something that destroys game play and makes it hard to play a class..

It's just plain stupid

Brimir
  8. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

I asked specific questions about our detriments at the Q&A session at SOE Live today. I'll go further into the response tomorrow when I get home, but the short answer is "too bad".
  9. Slasher Augur

Gotta love ignorant responses by the people we keep employed by paying to play this game. The entire class doesn't want it but too bad we know whats best for you even if we do not play your class.
  10. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

I'm a day late on my response, but here it is. I got up and tried to explain that first Berserkers have to chew through any rune type buff we might have on us, then we have to chew through our HPs to begin to activate things, then we have to root and/or blind our self, then we can activate our DPS discs and hope we have a perfectly set up group in order to maximize our abilities. All the while, eating a face full of AE ramp. Their response was it is like that by design. Berserkers are meant to damage themselves and to be damaged in order to do what they do. There was a vague response about wait to see what happens in the coming months, but there was no hint of what the changes in the coming months will be.
  11. Slasher Augur

I get taking damage, but they've made it excessive with the blind, root and not finding a way for us to have the same advantage every other class has by being able to mitigate damage through runes/Glyph spray. All we get is too dam bad and frankly I'm sick and tired of that response It's ignorant to the players and disrespectful to them.

I'll make it simple. THIS GAME IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN. The mechanics you have forced upon this class ARE NOT FUN.
  12. Gragas Augur

So all berserkers are emo freaks, berserker lore states we don't care about pain or death and throw ourselves out on the battlefield, go berserk, and our huge axes strike fear in the enemy.
    So guess we are running around slicing up our wrists so we can swing harder, guess it makes sense to people who don't play berserkers.
    If anything we should take more damage while discing cause we just don't care about getting injured or dieing, not having to damage ourselves to be able to disc, that would make more sense.
  13. Slasher Augur

Pretty much while discing we should take more damage not damage ourselves that entire concept is !!!!!!!!! The lore fits us being more vulnerable to damage while discing not hurting ourselves.
  14. silku Augur

I dunno, the books I used to read had some guy biting his own tongue, to get the taste of blood in order to go beserk. It makes sense to take damage to get your blood lust going.. but 30k seems a bit.. intense. Definitely not just biting a tongue.
  15. Gragas Augur

Not after you have your epic and learned to channel your rage.
  16. Jonny Panic Augur

I have nothing against this design. In the case of Berserkers, it taps into the idea that they can't really tap into their full potential until they get hurt or see/smell blood... and then they truly go berserk.

However, I keep Bloodfury at rank 1 specifically because of the issue with hurting yourself enough to get abilities going... and then getting healed. This way I can stagger the process if healing prevents me from staying hurt.
  17. Gragas Augur

Gotcha so swinging a big old axe at someone does not draw blood, instead you have to cut yourself.
    In reality it's just another button you have to push before you disc, it brings nothing to game mechanics besides an annoyance factor because it fits someones paradigm of design that they think is correct and the majority of the players that play berserkers think it does not fit any in game lore.
    Is it really that hard to understand, push a button and the disc activates regardless of health like the other classes would be preferred.

I guess you like the blood dots as well cause well you get to hurt yourself to do little damage to the mob.
  18. Jonny Panic Augur

Gods don't necessarily have to bleed.
    Undead most likely don't, especially zombies (who may ooze at best), skeletons, spirits.
    Constructs generally don't have blood. Neither do clockworks or animated statues such as gargoyles.
    Plants and plant-like beings also lack blood. As does just about any manner of ooze.
    Bugs have blood, but I doubt seeing/smelling bug blood has the same impact. Mostly you just want to squash them.
    Something similar could be said for most cold blooded creatures, be they reptiles, amphibians, fish/shellfish, Luggalds, Kedge or whatever.
    Elementals would bleed their element if they bleed at all.
    Extraplanar entities also likely lack "blood" as we understand it. I'd half expect Akheva, for instance, to bleed some manner of shadow substance.
    Just what IS Muramite blood like? I'd half expect Nocs to bleed recognizable blood, but I seriously doubt Riftseekers (Pyrilens and Gelidrans) or Lightning Warriors do. How about Ikaav? Or Aneuks?

Really, in the game, a shockingly few types of creatures would bleed recognizable, hot, salty, iron-smelling blood, the sort generally expected to excite the fury of a berserker. Most player races would (except Guktans or Iksar). Animals. Some dragons (arguably not dragons with poison, acid or cold bases). Certain beings that are a derivative or cross-up of these (centaurs, giants, cyclopes, werewolves).

If we had berserkers of non-warm-blooded races (Guktans, Iksar), I could understand lore suggesting they were also driven by the smell of cold blood, bugbutter, a couple of other options... but Berserkers in the game are all warm-blooded races (except arguably Trolls), so, if the vast majority of creatures you encounter and fight in your world are of a nature that doesn't bleed recognizable blood... what is the most reliable source?

Probably yourself. And, of course, in the process of making yourself bleed to get the taste/smell,scent of blood, you probably hurt yourself, which further invokes berserker bloodlust.

Honestly, the better argument would be to make these abilities also reduce your hp to 90% if your hp is above 90%, if you're that desperate to save a button. IMO, zerks have relatively few buttons to juggle and plenty of them can be stacked. Personally, I think the idea of them is perfectly sensible for the class and the execution of it is just fine.

You'll notice how I did all of this without once deigning to look down on you or insult you with an equivalent "holier-than-thou" attitude.
  19. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

I don't have an issue with the damage thing. I get it. I understand it. I'm ok with it. But, what I don't understand is why do we have to strip buffs (runes), then damage ourselves, then root ourselves, then blind ourselves? All the while, losing the mob because we are rooted and blind or we're eating a face full of AE Ramp because now that we are rooted we can't adjust for AE Ramp range and needing a perfectly set up group that requires at least one player of 3 different classes to help us. If I'm not mistaken, Warriors Final Stand disc had a root component on it when it was released and it was removed because it's just a bad idea to root a melee player.

I get rooting a caster. That makes sense. Root a caster and they become more vulnerable, but make their castings do more. But, rooting a melee so they become useless or they have to click the buff off because the mob has moved 2 feet out of range of our huge two handed weapons? It's ridiculous. There really isn't enough reward for the risks that we put ourselves in to. Not only the risk versus reward thing, but we also don't have any way to redeem ourselves through the blood or slime or bug juice of our opponents. If our rage is focused through our own blood and the damage we inflict on those that oppose us, why can't we get something to focus lifetaps into crit heals to help our survivability?

The Devs are picking and choosing what part of the Class Lore they want to focus on and ignoring the rest of what the class is. They are picking up on damaging ourselves in order to do more damage. But, they are ignoring our Epic Quest that taught us to channel and harness our rage and control it (see Hulk in The Avengers, "I'm always angry"). They also neglect the fact that our lore specifically states that Berserkers are Warriors that shed their heavy armor in favor of speed and the ability to swing our weapons. So, Warriors and Berserkers share almost all of our passive offensive AAs, but Berserkers don't get anything from the Warriors defensive AAs. We get all of the negatives of our class, but not a ton of the positives. I don't think the class is that bad off, but we're getting pigeonholed and I'd rather be active to voice against it rather than just take it.
  20. Gragas Augur

Sorry if you took it as an insult, just don't agree with 90%, period.

As far as the rant on blood. The thrill of the kill/battle is what gets the blood flowing and the blood rage boiling, not tasting it. "It's in our blood" to wanna kill anything and everything that opposes us, it why the first berserker lost control and killed his sparring partner.
    We learned to control this rage when we got our epic, not sure how this has turned into we must hurt ourselves or taste blood before we can activate a disc unless we are all vampire berserkers.