As a new player to EQ, Should I go Agnarr or Corinav?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elendanis, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Elendanis New Member

I see people complaining about Corinav being only for farming Kronos, as well as people ditching Agnarr when content stops coming.

I know I want to play on one of the two, but at the moment I am super torn. I have a hard time looking past the toxicity of the two to get a real feel.
  2. Machentoo Augur

Do you want to stop at PoP/LDoN, or play past it? Are you looking to screw around for a few months, or play for a few years or longer potentially?

If you don't want to go past PoP, and you're just looking for a few months of entertainment, I'd probably go Agnarr.

Coirnav's slow xp will eventually resolve--it will get much better in Velious, and eventually the penalty will be gone altogether--so it could potentially have a long term future. If the idea of still playing through progression two or three years from now is appealing, and you don't want to go with the more advanced expansions on Phinigel, I'd stick with Coirnav despite the drawbacks (and hope that the population stays viable.)
    Elendanis likes this.
  3. Kahna Augur

A handful of vocal people will shoot down both servers. Truth is most of the population of Coirnav is just regular EQ players and while many people, including myself, have made predictions about the future of Agnarr no one knows what will happen. So that just leaves one question. Do you want to stop at PoP or do you want to see the content after PoP. Answer that question and you will know which server to go to.

And ultimately, if you play for a few months or years and have some fun while do so then it was worth the time, even if you do eventually walk away from the server. Some people treat the server choice like they are picking a spouse. There is no need to think that long term about the choice.
    Herf, Kattria Minx and Elendanis like this.
  4. Raltar Augur

Coirnav is a cesspool and Agnarr is a prison server. Play one of the other TLPs. Ragefire/Lockjaw if you don't want things super rushed and Phinny if you want unlocks super fast.
    jeskola and Adrienna like this.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you're only going to play EQ for a year or less (or join the latest TLP) then Agnarr is better IMO. If you want to play long term, I'd just hold off for the next TLP.
  6. Machentoo Augur

Next one might never come. And if it does, there is no reason to think the rules will be any different or better than Coirnav.
  7. Communist Puppy Augur

Play on phinigel or ragefire. One server is locked at pop forever, one is more then likely dead or has 1 guild left by the time the level 70 stretch is over.

If youre looking for a server to play on long term neither of the two you listed is a good option.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

Rules withstanding, there's no reason to choose Coirnav at that point. The only thing it has going for it is its newness. There is plenty of reason to think Coirnav will be the first TLP to be supplanted. Players wanting to reach live can go straight to Phinny, casuals can always go to Agnarr, and people wanting the newest will go to whatever that's called.

The draw for Coirnav? "We're behind Phinny, the exp is slower, but, you can still play whatever is the expansion between Agnarr and Phinny for a few months. But really, we have absolutely no reason to think DBG will not release another TLP later this year or early next year. Not to mention WoW TLP which may come next year.
  9. Kahna Augur

You forgot to mention the RF/LJ will eventually lock at some yet to be determined expansion when they no longer have a population capable of defeating the content.
    Elskidor likes this.
  10. Elskidor Augur

How long has Fippy been stuck in TDS? 2 or 3 years?
  11. Risiko Augur

Coirnav is not the cesspool people seem to like to claim it is on these forums. There are some bad apples, but you just avoid or ignore them like you do on every MMORPG ever since the beginning of time.

Coirnav is only in Kunark right now, so the opportunity to get in and make friends that can last a really long time is pretty high.

Plus, there are people leveling up iksars right now on Coirnav, so it's a good time to start a character.
  12. Critt Augur

Strange, how does a new eq player know what any of this nonsense means.... I call shenanigans....
  13. Machentoo Augur

Only about a year and a half yet.
  14. Quest315 Journeyman

Oh come on :p you really think they might not do some 20th Anniversary edition TLP ?
  15. monkypowah Elder

of course they will and that’s even more reason for the OP to go agnarr or phinny because those will stay quite alive when anniversary TLP hits.. coirnav? it will be a ghost town overnight period.
  16. Kahna Augur

Phinny is the worst possible place for a brand new player to go, zero low level groups and barely any PuGs even at max level. You would have to join a guild and hope you get along with them and they will take pity on the new guy and let them join their boxed clique groups.

Agnarr will not be much better in Spring of 2019. They too, have few low level groups and are every bit as established an insular at the top as Phinny. Not to mention any new 20th anniversary server is likely to have just as noticeable an impact on Agnarr as it is on any other server. Being stuck forever is fine for P99 with it’s revolving door of low level folks playing for a while then quitting. Agnarr hasn’t developed that type of community, it doesn’t have a constant stream of new folks leveling up characters. The core will get bored and move on, then you are just left with casuals. Casuals are great, as support members, but you can’t casually run a raiding guild. You can have a casual raiding guild, but I assure you the people who run it put a whole lot more than casual levels of effort into the guild.

Random predictions aside, who picks a server based on what may or may not happen a year from now. And even if the worst happens to both servers a year is more than enough time to make a ton of friends that they can move to the new server with. I mean, that is what keeps us coming back to this game, the people? Far more so than a geared toon, after all, if all we cared about was toon gear and levels we would all be soloing on Live.

Go to Coirnav, go to Agnarr, start over on the new server in a year, (don’t go to Phinny) either way the OPs focus should be which server is the most likely to provide me with a guild or group of likeminded individuals to play the content I want to see with? Agnarr is going to be harder to mesh with than Coirnav, as it is older. But with enough work either one is doable.
  17. Chaos4322 New Member

If getting a character to 60 takes several months to accomplish then yeah, it is like picking a spouse, you are going to be stuck on it for a long time.
  18. GeauxTigers Elder

Phinny has what, 12 guilds that finished content? 14?
    Agnarr has over 20 killing quarm weekly, It's pretty stacked. There are always people lfg and it's easy to twink (cheap) and faster xp.
  19. Kahna Augur

Several months? On what server does it take several months to get to 60? I think it took me 1.5 months to get from 1-60 on Coirnav and that is the slowest server by far. Took my time doing it too.
  20. Kahna Augur

How many guilds are killing things on a server does says nothing about what the leveling or PuG scene is like, or how welcoming it is to new players. Everyon was sure TSS would bring a ton of people back to Phinny, it didn’t happen, because that server is far too set in its ways. They have their box crews and friend groups and see no need to reach out to others. Not being derogatory here, just stating a fact. It’s human nature, and it has played out time and time again on these servers. There is definitely a time when it is “too late” to join a new server. A time when your chances of integrating into the group successfully are greatly reduced. Phinny is past that point, and Agnarr is headed for it.