Agnarr and our future after PoP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Corilleous, Apr 23, 2018.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Isn't PVP in EQ the same as it is in any other MMO? 1 or 2 "flavor of the day" classes/abilities, everybody else gets the shaft, and more grief than a funeral? Usually a couple of bullies and everybody else is just there to be picked on?

Wow, what fun! If you want to play something competitive, why not play a game that actually caters to real competition? Quit trying to goad potatoes into getting mashed to stroke your epeen and go see how you do against people who actually want to compete like you do. You can do it, tough guy!
  2. Montag Augur

Zurdula plans to keep raiding on Agnarr indefinitely. Most of us are here for the long haul and lack of pressure of a locked server and we have a multi-year plan to welcome recruits from other guilds which collapse due to lose of players after the lock. Eventually we may even host public raids.We're interested in supporting the long term health of the server.

We came up third on the Luclin progression race, and we expect the two guilds that came in ahead of us won't stick around long after the lock, so we're in a really good position to be able to provide a home for people who's guilds don't survive the post-lock exodus.

We push hard at each new expac unlock but are are a lot more laid back, family atmosphere than you might expect from one of the top raid guilds.

We consider ourselves casual, but we have a core of hard-core people and a bunch of people that can burst hard-core when needed.

Oh, and we're always recruiting :) http://www.zurdula.com/469836/topic/how-to-appy-to-zurdula-click-here-k69
    Niskin likes this.
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

What will you be raiding, once everybody has seen everything and gotten loot on their toons? How do you plan to keep people interested when the only thing left to do is repeat the same raids you've already beaten (which keep getting easier and easier as you gear up)? Or do you think there are enough players, that don't ever want to see anything new, to keep people repeating the same content indefinitely? Honest questions.
    Nolrog likes this.
  4. Zapsos Augur

You already got the out of era QoL improvements that the devs were comfortable with (Click from bags, maps, Buff Blocking etc) but they specifically stated that they don't consider extended target a QoL, but more of a power increase.
  5. Raltar Augur

DBG already said the only place you can transfer is live.
  6. Kahna Augur

DBG won't open another server for 9-12 months, if we assume that it is another Phinny clone, and not a niche server, you are thinking that Agnarr will be healthy for another 2 years while that server gets to GoD? Again, assuming it is a 3 month unlock server. Of course then you have to take other factors into consideration, like exp rates. Even if it was completely compatible with Agnarr, do you really think DBG would allow people who have been farming PoP for 2+ years to just hop onto a server that has only had PoP for 6 months and just carry on into GoD? Pretty sure the established population of that server would riot.

But you keep on dreaming your pipe dreams. Agnarr isn't getting transfers off to anywhere but live.
  7. Snorl Lorekeeper

People are interested in raiding the locked end game content indefinitely. Some have full best in slot lists made already for every class. Just getting one toon to max BiS will likely take many months maybe a year clearing every week. A bunch want to go back and do older content with as few as possible trying different class set ups. Others are just along for the ride and would log in to do what ever their friends are doing.
    Niskin and Montag like this.
  8. Montag Augur

Pretty much what Snorl said. I know a bunch of people who aren't worried at all about always having new content, we just want our old EverQuest world we loved back in the day frozen in time at one of the points we liked best and will enjoy helping new or returning players get caught up, optimizing our dps, gearing alts, trying smaller raid forces, doing quests we never did before. Just enjoying the world of Norrath without any time/grind pressure.

Having a server locked at the most popular era, with a guild committed to keeping a viable raid force, gives a great home for people to return to the game at any time.
    Niskin and Corilleous like this.
  9. GeauxTigers Elder

I dunno about you but my 'to get' list is obscene. It will take far longer than any time line i've seen quoted here to finish it. Likely 2+ years. The only reason I came to Agnarr was just to gear toons in-era and do absurd crap live never allowed for like every tradeskill maxed, every best in slot item, every focus, every quest finished, max everything and go do silly crap like 1 group VT MOTM mobs.

People keep people interested, that's the thing most guilds fail to realize.
    HappyPanda likes this.
  10. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

I honestly hope it works out for you guys on Agnarr. Goodluck with your launch tomorrow!!
  11. Nolrog Augur

I think it will happy a lot faster than that. Interesting experiment though, so we'll see.
  12. Xanathol Augur

This is where the devs missed the boat with Agnarr and many players tried to tell them that. The server needed a much longer unlock schedule. The only ones who wanted the short unlocks were the ones the server was not targeted for, who play to race and/or farm krono, who had no real interest in the design of the server.

I'd happily pay for a server like Agnarr with a long unlock schedule and actual enforcement against the griefers, farmers, etc that plagued Agnarr and other TLPs (hopefully including measures to prevent the @$$8013$ from ruining content as well, ie. waking the sleeper).
  13. HappyPanda Augur

That just isn't true for many of us.
    There are plenty that didn't want to be locked in Classic or Kunark (/eye-twitch) for much longer. We wanted to be in PoP and locked there.
    We had 12 week unlocks but 10 would have probably been the sweet spot. 8-10 would have been pretty perfect for a lot of the more progression oriented semi-casual people based on the decay rates each expansion.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I think this is starting to delve into, "I want the server to be my way" territory. But it's a weird conundrum, because we also want everybody else to play our way, with us. Otherwise, we'd be happy playing on a live server with our friends, self-imposing our own restrictions however we want to. Frankly, I'm all for private instances!

Heck, even private servers. Nowadays with AWS, it wouldn't be that difficult, but I'm not sure it's really cost-effective (too many cheap players out there!).

As for people "ruining content" by completing it (your sleeper example), that's not really fair to blame on the players. You can't design a "best in game" one-time event and not expect players to race for it :)
  15. HappyPanda Augur

As I recall, it was a coalition of guilds that awoke sleeper as well. Not just a couple of guys out to take something away from you. There were various political factors involved but that is how it ended up happening.
    It would be neat if every guild was given a few weeks in their DZ to awaken the sleeper before it changed over to awakened state as a server but I don't think this is probably an issue that is big enough to put it anywhere near the cheater/farmer problems we have had with various keys/quests on Agnarr.
  16. taliefer Augur

how many people are you planning on clearing time with if you think its gonna take over a year to get every time drop you want? i guess if you do it with a full 72 man raid, once a week it could take that long. but time is mindlessly easy with 30 people as it is.
  17. Mashef Augur

I think you will see guilds pop up on this server who will start doing progression their own way. In a few months you might see a guild pop up and want to go through it. Sure it isn't the same classic feel but the vast majority of players are over classic anyways. Level locking with AA and tradeable gear from newer expansions means smaller guilds can mash older content.

As Coirnav proved with its epic flop the only reason to rush to yet another NEW TLP is to krono farm unless they come up with a fantastic rule set and something that isn't standard.
  18. jeskola pheerie

I am not a fan of Coirnav, but I just checked, and it is at high population, as is Agnarr. Zurdula will probably be around for years, however I would not count on many new guilds doing progression on Agnarr at this stage.
  19. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

P99 has been Velious-locked forever. I know it has the advantage of being free, but it nonetheless still attracts a steady stream of people starting from scratch despite the fact that it's not going to progress.
  20. Snomie Elder

When people refer to Coirnav as a flop they are mainly referring to the population vs. other TLP launches. Meaning that even if it's 'high' right now, it's still no where near what agnarr and phinny had at the same time period.

In the short to medium term the server will be healthy with plenty of picks in popular zones, but Coirnav is seeing a lot more population drop off happening earlier and faster, which never happened on Agnarr or Phinny at the same time period. That's worrying for the longevity of the server.

I've seen some people suggest that Coirnav will experience more guilds and migrations coming to the server eventually (like Phinny had), but it doesn't really seem to be the case so far. None of the evidence points to Coirnav surviving anywhere near as long as Phinny has (or even Agnarr for that matter).